RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: From Handloads.com "Experiences with a .32".

Boolit Grand Master
    For reloading the .32 Colt cartridges, CH4D has dies for both the short and the long; I do not know if both can be loaded with one set of dies or not. Tom at Accurate molds has a very good heeled boolit mold 31-090A, that shoots well from my No.2 Remington Rolling Block. I will be ordering one when my tax check gets back. He also has a newer one that I haven't shot yet the 31-090C that looks okay to me.

The hard part is finding actual .32 Long Colt brass, but it can be made from .32 S&W Long with a bit of ingenuity. Modern loading data for the Colt cartridges is also pretty much non-existant.

Robert

The 31-090A was designed with a heel diameter of .305" because I wanted it to be a snug fit in fired brass to eliminate resizing the case so that I could get 30+ reloads from a case in my '92 Marlin.

If one is resizing their brass, the heel diameter (which can be specified when ordering a mold from Tom) should be no larger than the flaring portion of the expander die for trouble free loading.

The .32 Colt New Police on the other hand uses the larger diameter .32 S&W brass and .313" bullets.
    Bullets are flat nosed whereas the 32 S&W uses round nosed bullets.

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 04-26-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    Bad news: A Walther PPK/s in .32 ACP (of S&W manufacture) is no longer cataloged. There are some nice stainless examples still floating around, but a brand new PPK/s will become increasingly scarce with each passing day.

Damn.

Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    Crud. I guess a 32 ACP isn't very "sexy", with all the sub-compact 9mm/40S&W/45 ACP options out there.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Crud. I guess a 32 ACP isn't very "sexy", with all the sub-compact 9mm/40S&W/45 ACP options out there.

That is, unless you like you martinis "shaken, not stirred." What annoys me is the fact that some shooters fail to realize that the Walther PP and PPK/s were originally engineered to fire the .32 ACP. This is why, when the PPK/s is chambered for the .380 ACP, "hammer bite" rears it's ugly head all too often.

In the quest for what I view as a marginally (as well as questionably) more effective chambering, the "machismo" of the American shooting public rises to the surface.

Scott
    Last edited by gunfan; 05-12-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    I like 32's because you can get truly small cf revolvers that don't kick much and will put a 90-100 grain boolit throough a lot of stuff. A pound of powder and a coffee can of wheelweights goes a long way. Truth be told, I loved them before I ever started reloading, and I don't really know why, nor do I care why I just do.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Bub
    is handloads.com a good place to get load data still new reloading but I am still stuck only using manuals

[QUOTE=FergusonTO35;2041930]I carry Fiocchi ball in my Kel-Tec P32 and have chrono'd it at 890 fps out of that gun. As you probably know centerfire handgun ammo of any sort is very hard to get nowadays. I wonder if I could safely create my own .32 Auto +P load using new brass and a powder slower than the norm?

Ferguson i have the same one as you and like to know what is the biggest gr cast bullet you shoot in it .i shoot 85grRn and it shoot better then the factory ammo I gotten I also shoot the others 32 in my 327.Also if someone else have any advice on what the biggest I could shoot in it of the P32 also the data that I can start with ,because i would use the same size bullet in my other 32 brass up to 327 .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

32's

Nvlad, I shoot 32's in revolvers and I used to buy every reloading book I could. I found out the hard way that the 32 data sections really need to be taken with a grain of salt. I still use the manuals, but I like to check what others are loading and shooting. The 32 size loads don't always meter that well.I like to use a dipper made out of a filed down 22 short casing. If you take the data for the one cc Lee dipper it is the density of your powder in grains per cc. I then use a one ml insulin srynge ( 1 ml= 0.1 cc) to calibrate the dipper and keep filing till it's what I want. Most places you can get srynges at pharmacies, clinics, vets, or feed stores. In 32's smaller than 32 H&R magnum I don't use any thing larger than the smallest Lee dipper is probably to hot in the 32 ACP. I consider this to be 2.7 grains of Uniquewhich is over reccomended max in the 32ACP but works in the 32 SWL I load the 32 S&W (short) with a filed down 22 short case whose volume escapes me.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    that is, unless you like you martinis "shaken, not stirred." what annoys me is the fact that some shooters fail to realize that the walther pp and ppk/s were originally engineered to fire the .32 acp. This is why, when the ppk/s is chambered for the .380 acp, "hammer bite" rears it's ugly head all too often.

It the quest for what i view as a marginally (as well as questionably) more effective chambering, the "machismo" of the american shooting public rises to the surface.

Scott
    ^^^ this! ^^^
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I am coming to this party VERY late. I, too, am a bit of a fan of the .32's. My favoring small, light revolvers, as companion pieces to my bird gun, settled on center fires as I was not terribly impressed with the .22 rimfire on edible small game. Often, when grouse hunting in rough country, I would encounter a sitting rabbit and sometimes was presented with a wounded or sitting grouse. The handgun was ideal for this. After knocking a grouse down with a marginal hit (we hunted in the hills of Eastern Ohio in steep country) I was most reluctant to shoot a grounded grouse again with the shotgun. After all, we ate these scrumptious birds. A wounded grouse would let you get fairly close but not close enough to grab them. Further, they were expert in making it into briar patches that would have taken a bull dozer to root them out. On the other hand, it was relatively easy to clip their heads off with a handgun and preserve your meal. Further, the family appreciated "one hole rabbits" as opposed to picking shot out of their teeth. A sitting rabbit up to at least 25 yards was a right sporting target for a decent pistol shot.

My favorite range revolver in a centerfire .32 is my 16-4 .32 Magnum with six inch barrel (it now carries a Red Dot sight). However, it is a bit cumbersome to carry (although tolerable in an across the chest Bianchi Hush System holster for scoped guns). My two favorite handguns in this role is a Smith 631 chambered in .32 H&R Magnum (4" with adjustable sights) or my .38 Special Chiefs Target (3" full underlugged barrel with Smith adjustable sights). Loaded at .32 S&W Long levels with a good wadcutter or SWC of about 100 grs in the .32 and 148 grs in the .38 worked extremely well at their appointed task.

The .32's with a proper bullet shape is a MUCH better killer on edible small game than any .22 I have used. The same applies to a properly loaded .38 Special (only more so).

Here's my 16-4:

Here is the Smith 631:

Another revolver that I haven't really hunted with but would have every confidence in it is the Ruger SP 101 with 4" barrel in .32 H&R Magnum. Unfortunately, this revolver came with a rear sight that was only adjustable for windage. I could not get it to shoot to the sights as issued. I took it to my pistolsmith, and he mounted a Weaver rail on it. It is now sighted with a Red Dot and it almost magically became easy to hit with. The only criticism I have of this revolver is that the grip is small and even with after market grips it is a bit of a challenge for me (I have rather large hands). However, this is a very stout little revolver and would work very well as a side gun in a proper cross draw. Being visually challenged these days, a Red Dot sight really makes this combination work:

Dale53

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-31-2014 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Add photos

Boolit Grand Master
    My interest in the 32s is pretty well known on the S&W Forum, but I found this from our very own CastBoolit guy while looking for info about a Lyman bullet mould... it's one of the best things I've found, even though it's 8 years old and predates the 327 FM I'm currently excited about.

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/32hrcast.htm

I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!
    BTW, Dale53 and I have been swapping 32 info back and forth for a long time. Now if I could just get him away from his Model 631 long enough to spirit it away...

Froggie

PS Here's my contribution to the party;

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ect-616-a.html
    Last edited by Green Frog; 06-03-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Additions

I took this basket case round butt S&W M15 which had a bulged barrel and cracked cylinder from too many rounds of Q4070, and converted it into a .32 S&W Long trail gun.

I was fortunate to find a .32 S&W Long K-32 cylinder at a gun show. The barrel was fabricated from a pull-off 7.62 NATO Sportco barrel in normal .30 cal. dimensions with 14" twist. The smith who did the work fitted a crane-ball lockup and slab-sided the bull barrel after having machined integral rib and front sight from a separate piece of stock and inlaying it into a lengthwise dovetail cut down the top of the slabbed bull barrel

The gun shoots very well with #3118 and 2.5 grains of Bullseye, but while I have experimented with heavier loads I don't push routinely it harder because there is no need to.

Attachment 75910

.32 S&W Long data fired in 4" "K-32 round butt"

Saeco #325, 98-gr. SWC
    2.0 grs. Bullseye, 737 fps, 25 Sd
    2.5 grs. Bullseye, 859 fps, 14 Sd
    3.0 grs. Bullseye, 954 fps, 13 Sd
    7.0 grs. #2400, 1014 fps, 28 Sd

NEI #82, 115-gr. FN (similar to Ideal #3118)
    2.0 grs. Bullseye, 723 fps, 15 Sd
    2.5 grs. Bullseye, 838 fps, 11 Sd
    3.0 grs. Bullseye, 930, 17 Sd

Saeco #322, 120-gr. LFN, seated out and crimped in lube groove, OAL 1.30"
    1.5 grs. Bullseye 638 fps, 45 Sd
    2.0 grs. Bullseye 700 fps, 25 Sd
    2.5 grs. Bullseye 797 fps, 14 Sd

IN CASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE from the above data, a charge of 2.5 grains of Bullseye gives optimum performance with just about any bullet in the .32 S&W Long without straining a sturdy post WW2 revolver. Fine for your S&W J frames Models 30 and 31, etc.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-22-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Outpost, THAT is a fine field revolver indeed!

I good little 4" S&W or Colt small-frame 32 SWL would be a nice acquisition, and I am quasi-seriously in the hunt mode for such an example presently. This is not to say that I would pass up a S&W 631 x 4" that showed itself.......or one of the REALLY rare K-32/Model 16 early-series Masterpiece models.

Kick starting this old thread....

JT and I have been brainstorming what started as a light .30 cal rifle, plainbase plinker, but which has evolved into a .311-.312 diameter, 100-grain flatnosed, bevel-based bullet, which would also be useable in.32 ACP, .30 Luger, .30 Mauser, 7.62x25, etc.

A drawing is posted, but the design is not engraved in stone. We need 20 committed orders for six-cavity molds at $125 each to make it "fly".

Discussionis encouraged, pls. visit the group but thread and put in your Two Cents.

Boolit Mold
    I have a .32 ACP from Taurus (732) that does well with 73 GR S&B FMJ's.

I liked it so much that i ordered a die set and started loading 75 GR (.313 Dia)
    Cast FP's from Rim Rock Bullets using Ranch Dog Outdoors loading data
    of 2.8 GR of Universal.

My initial experience has not been good ... I'm getting FTF's (some actually stuck half-way into battery!).
    So, it looks like I need to get the Lee Factory Crimp Die unless someone else has a better suggestion?!
    BTW: accuracy in this loading has been quite acceptable, with no indications of over-pressure.
    Another BTW: The sights on the TCP are pityful ... I'm looking into drilling some dimples into them and adding
    a drop of sight paint ... ?

Accurate 31-087T bullet is designed to fit the .32 ACP case and throat and mitigates against the case bulge problem when sized properly to .311-.312"

If you are looking for a mold which feeds and has better small game performance than a plain round nose, this is it.

Attachment 99437 Attachment 99438Attachment 99439
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-13-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks OutPost75 ... but I currently "do not actually cast, but do consume" Cast Boolits!
    So, (at least for now) I'm going to attempt to "fix" what appears to be the standard stock of what's available commercially.
    I contacted Rim Rock Bullets who informed me that Buffalo Bore (who uses this same projectile in their loads)
    uses the Lee Factory Crimp Die in their loading (apparently with no problem). So, I'm going to order one and give it a try.
    I'll let you know how it works!

Boolit Mold
    I really, really appreciate the knowledge and enthusiastic support that you guys provide to each other, including myself.

Oh well, Lee is so swamped with custom orders that they will not accept my order for the FCD at this time.
    Heck, I really don't know whether or not it would solve the problem or not!
    So, it's back to reloading FMJ's (if I can find any!). I know you guys love cast bullets, and I most certainly would like to as well.
    However, my luck with cast projectiles has been 100% unfortunate.

This started with .40 S&W's, then with .45 LC's and now with
    .32 ACP's ... The problems have included: abysmal lack of specific loading data (.40 S&W), absolute necessity for FCD (.45 LC), and now those that are affecting loading .32 ACP

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast