Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Kel-Tec vs. Ruger: Mystery solved?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Kel-Tec vs. Ruger: Mystery solved?

Like many, I always wondered how Ruger got away with creating their own version of the Kel-Tec P3AT with no apparent pushback from Kel-Tec for patent infringement. I had always assumed they simply hammered out an agreement whereby Ruger would license or pay royalties for the use of the firing system design created by George Kellgren. In this interview, George Kellgren simply states that they couldn't afford the patent at the time!

https://blog.keltecweapons.com/30-ye...keltec-history

George Kellgren: "Then came the P32. That is actually quite remarkable because it's a pocket handgun that has a lock breach. Before that, all pocket guns were only blow-backs. Traditional blow-back guns tend to be very heavy and expensive to manufacture so, I would say the P32 is the gun that has had the biggest impact on the industry. Everybody copied it.”

George Kellgren: “Unfortunately, those days we couldn't afford the patent. After the P32 came the Sub-9 and then the SUB-2000. And after that you get the PMR-30, KSG.”
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    S&W's 5.7x28 pistol has an innovative breech system on it called the Tempo barrel system. The barrel is locked and gas operated. That 5.7 runs around 50k pressure so it surely would handle a 32 acp.

I just recently bought Smith's 22 Magnum pistol and it has nearly the same barrel locking system, but it's classified as a delayed blow back. It's gas operated too. It's a real baby doll. Smith done their homework on this one. Very accurate too!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    S&W's 5.7x28 pistol has an innovative breech system on it called the Tempo barrel system. The barrel is locked and gas operated. That 5.7 runs around 50k pressure so it surely would handle a 32 acp.

I just recently bought Smith's 22 Magnum pistol and it has nearly the same barrel locking system, but it's classified as a delayed blow back. It's gas operated too. It's a real baby doll. Smith done their homework on this one. Very accurate too!
    Got the same pistol for my gf to use as home defense as she is tiny with small hands. She handled the S&W just fine and knowing she has 30 shots is a huge Benny. Very nice semi.

Boolit Master
    How in the Wide World of Sports did this get about S&W
    Fan Bouys

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    How in the Wide World of Sports did this get about S&W
    Fan Bouys
    Sorry I hijacked it based upon anothers comments. Terribly sorry....

Boolit Grand Master
    It was a foolish decision. A patent used to cost about $15k.

Hopefully, they have become more financially sound. I would not want to buy a product from a company so near the fiscal cliff that they cannot afford $15k to protect their intellectual property.
    Don Verna

I think they're gonna be a major player, if they aren't already.

I've always been a wood and steel kind of guy, but Keltec pistols have totally changed my mind about "carry guns". I now own a couple of them, and will prolly never again pack a pistol that weighs much over a pound or two. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Wasn’t KelTec’s first .380 pistol a blind magazine pistol loaded via stripper clip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Here it is: GONRA's .380 ACP Grendel P-10 plastic frame, charger fed permanent magazine, charger kit,
    use two hands, two fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    Here it is: GONRA's .380 ACP Grendel P-10 plastic frame, charger fed permanent magazine, charger kit,
    use two hands, two fingers!
    Grendel! That’s the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk