Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why swage .223?

Why swage .223?

Gents,

I see quite a few die makers are emerging frequently, a good thing for sure. I have read the posts with great interest as I work on my own swage dies. These will be for personal use and not a commercial venture.

I am puzzled why so many seem to work towards a swage set that does .223 bullets? I am genuinely curious why this is.

It would seem to me that .224" projectiles are plentiful and cheap, a die set from Corbin would buy me over 10 000 projectiles, more than enough for my needs.

Personally, I am working on dies that will produce a projectile at a much lower cost than factory. I have been close to hitting the 'buy' button on RCE's site for his .366" die set. I do not have a walnut hill press though, however, I have collected the steel for a press as shown by Aneat.

9mm brass can be had for next to nothing, as does .223. Using these cases to make jackets for larger and more expensive projectiles than .223 seems to give the swager more variety and savings. Or am I missing something?

BT, are you looking at a website of your own in the future? Dies like jacket making and lead wire extruding would be great to see.

Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I do it because I like too.

Boolit Master

Way past the break even point on my Blackmon dies and used Corbin press. If 10,000 will do ya, you're probably right. Also, .22 brass doesn't take up much space, got the lead, so no matter what, we can make bullets ! Made a few .44's with .40 brass also, you're right of course, the larger the caliber, the quicker you get to break even.

But mostly like hardcase, 'cuz I like it !!

Boolit Bub
    Why?

Because it´s a whole lot of fun!
    Legal Alien - sorry for my poor english I´m still learning!

In Remembrance

If I only had a bolt action gun which fired the .224 diameter bullets, I'd likely not be shooting as many bullets as I do.

My AR 15's consume many thousands of bullets. One of them, fires at a rate of 720 rounds per minute. Empties a 30 round mag at 2.5 seconds. When I'm shooting that gun, it's easy to empty a whole ammo can (870 rounds on stripper clips) in one shooting.

So, the 10,000 bullets that you call a lot of bullets isn't all that many to me.

And, even though I am just a couple years away from collecting Social Security, I can still easily justify the cost of the die set in a short amount of time.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

I do it because I can make better than I can buy for a fraction of the cost. I control the weight and type, HP, flat base, boat tail, soft core, hard core, frangible, brass or copper jacket.......

You get the point. I also do not like to rely on wether the government says I can or cannot have ammo or components. As long as I have powder and primers, I'm good.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    because i can.
    because i have a can do attitude.
    because my father rarely bought something he could make himself so i try.
    because it is a time honored tradition.
    because it amazes my friends.
    because im cheap.
    because i shoot something other than 55 grain.
    because its manly.
    because the girls find it attractive.

ok, i might be making up the last one but it keeps the cats entertained.
    Last edited by ratboy; 05-28-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
    because i can.
    because i have a can do attitude.
    because my father rarely bought something he could make himself so i try.
    because it is a time honored tradition.
    because it amazes my friends.
    because im cheap.
    because i shoot something other than 55 grain.
    because its manly.
    because the girls find it attractive.

ok, i might be making up the last one but it keeps the cats entertained.
    Bingo. Could not agree with you more. Funny but true. Even girls like it. They really do!
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

.223/5.56 is one of those rounds that people tend to burn a lot of, and they generally burn it at yardages that aren't really a challenge to the equipment - accuracy-wise. There's a time and a place for the Berger match bullet, but the local 3-gun match probably isn't it. Scrounged materials has its advantages.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I have been thinking of swaging 223 for the self reliance factor. Yes, a set of dies will be worth about 8-10K bullets, but there could come a time when there are no bullets to buy or the price increases dramaticly.

Well, I am now convinced to try my own .223 dies!

Great answers all, I really want to spend a day shooting with Duke and his AR 15's!!

Our Gov decided we cannot be trusted with semi auto rifles, let alone full auto.

I can see how 10K of projies would not last long at all with a couple of AR's in the safe. My poor old .223 is a single shot Ruger, not even a mag.

I do shoot a heap of .204R, mostly competition and varmint shooting. Anyone swaged a .204" bullet yet?

Mike

In Remembrance

Come along for the "car shoot" that we are having in a few weeks. Last year, the target was a somewhat new PORSCHE. Not sure what this year's car will be. But, there will be full auto guns galore.

Ever heard of a "mad minute?" This will be more like a mad hour. There will be more than 25 participants. Smallest diameter bullets will be .224" and the largest will fire from a full auto "ma deuce"

I won't get into the political discussion about who allowed your government to take your guns away. Just let that be proof to USA citizens that they need to be more active in defending their guns rights.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    Come along for the "car shoot" that we are having in a few weeks. Last year, the target was a somewhat new PORSCHE. Not sure what this year's car will be. But, there will be full auto guns galore.
    that sound like a good afternoon.
    i have seen pictures of the Porsche. not very fast anymore but the A/C works great.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post

Ever heard of a "mad minute?" This will be more like a mad hour. There will be more than 25 participants. Smallest diameter bullets will be .224" and the largest will fire from a full auto "ma deuce"

I won't get into the political discussion about who allowed your government to take your guns away. Just let that be proof to USA citizens that they need to be more active in defending their guns rights.
    Very tempting offer mate, I will have to do it one day; its now on the 'bucket list.'

I think the immigration paperwork before landing would prove interesting.

' What is you purpose for visiting the USA sir?'

'I am here to shoot machine guns into Euro sports cars, meeting a bloke called Duke, should be a great time.'

'I see............ please, come this way, we have some serious people that would like to hear all about your plans.'

Could end up getting a sun tan in 'Gitmo!'

Mike

Boolit Master

Duke, do you do the shoot in Maine or in Florida? I can't imagine they allow such things up in Maine. When and where??
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    duke,
    is this it?

i assumed it was some sort of LE impound/destruction.

In Remembrance

The shoot is in New Hampshire. It's a special invite type shoot, and you have to be a member of a certain shooting group to get in.

I was first on this year's list.

Here's the story on last year's shoot:
    http://jalopnik.com/5814011/this-is-...0-bullet-holes

Link to video as the shooting began: http://youtu.be/IC4Rpl0_dW8

More shooting video: http://youtu.be/K9ecIxqj5Po

Guns from AR15 to Ma Deuce were fired at the car.

Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 06-03-2012 at 04:11 PM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Banned

you missed a spot.

Boolit Buddy

That will buff right out!
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Buddy

WHY?