Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Dot in 45 Colt

Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    I use 6.0-6.2 gr Red Dot with Lyman 452424 in USFA single action. Below target is at 55', 2-handed. It is nothing spectacular but about as good as I can do anymore. I think the gun and load are capable of x-ring accuracy. The failure to achieve same is due to the shooter.
    Attachment 207178
    That looks like a great gun with a great load. And great shooting by you as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 340six View Post
    I wonder how much Red Dot is close to the 8.0 Unique as that is the best so far i have shot from it.
    Yes i will start low and work up but asking anyway
    Red Dot of today's manufacture is way faster then Unique. You may find that after you use that old Red Dot you will have to adjust your loads with the new Red Dot and I'd say in the downward load position.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That looks like a great gun with a great load. And great shooting by you as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Texas by God, thank you for the nice compliment. I am very happy with the gun. It shoots to point of aim for me and has a nice smooth action. The finish quality is top notch. It is too bad the company went out of business.

keyhole

Boolit Grand Master

5-6gr Promo for target. About all i use in pistol now but i still fiddle around
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I use 6.0-6.2 gr Red Dot with Lyman 452424 in USFA single action. Below target is at 55', 2-handed. It is nothing spectacular but about as good as I can do anymore. I think the gun and load are capable of x-ring accuracy. The failure to achieve same is due to the shooter.
    Attachment 207178

Pheww, looks pretty dang good to me. Many can’t do that well from sandbags!

Anyhow, I’ve used Red Dot with the 45-270-SAA with average at best results, at least for me…

I am getting 753 fps and 846 fps with 5.5 grains and 6.5 grains respectively from a Blackhawk…

I can honestly say that Red Dot has never been a very accurate powder in any handgun/reduced rifle loads that I did try. The closest it came to acceptable was in a 357 Magnum load using the Lee 365-95-1R sized to 0.358”. I was getting 1556 fps from a first-few-years-of-manufacture Security-Six. I always figured that little slug might really sting when it hit!!!...

But, I have used Red Dot in light 12 gauge loads with very good success, but that was many years ago and not really for this forum/topic…

Good-luck…BCB

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Anywhere in the 6-6.5 grain area works real well...Ray
    Converting from that much Uniwue> I'd go as much as 6.9 grains as RedDot

Boolit Master
    I load up 7.0 grains with a 230 hollow point for the brother in law.
    He shoots a pistol and 2 pump rifles.

The 10 grains was for unique.

I don't keep my books in the house...yet.
    Last edited by plainsman456; 01-04-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman456 View Post
    I load up 10.0 grains with a 230 hollow point for the brother in law.
    He shoots a pistol and 2 pump rifles.
    10.0 gr Red Dot? Where in the world did you come up with that load data? That is WAAAAAY over any published data I can find. Please say that you are referring to Unique and not Red Dot.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    10.0 gr Red Dot? Where in the world did you come up with that load data? That is WAAAAAY over any published data I can find. Please say that you are referring to Unique and not Red Dot.
    Agree...

Just a quick look at QL indicates a Lee 228 grain cast would be at 28500+ psi using 10.0 Red Dot...

As Indicated 10.0 Unique comes in at 16100+ psi...

That Red Dot load would be a bit stout for me. Might work in my Ruger, but I don't think I would even try that...

But then, in my old age I have become more towards the conservative side of life...

Good-luck...BCB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Agree...

Just a quick look at QL indicates a Lee 228 grain cast would be at 28500+ psi using 10.0 Red Dot...

As Indicated 10.0 Unique comes in at 16100+ psi...

That Red Dot load would be a bit stout for me. Might work in my Ruger, but I don't think I would even try that...

But then, in my old age I have become more towards the conservative side of life...

Good-luck...BCB
    I'm with you on this. I surely wouldn't shoot it myself. As with any load one hears about on the internet extreme caution should be used. Not saying someone would post a dangerous load on purpose but I do believe these loads are over the current reloading manuals guidelines. It is interesting to note however that some of the "OLDER" reloading manuals did have some posted loads that are currently higher that recent reloading manuals.

As explained to me many years ago was that there were several peaks in pressure. One peak at the max load and a similar peak when the load was increased. I do not know however if this is true.

This is from the Alliant website...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	273 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	211041

Taking these numbers up to 10.0 gr is way beyond what the manufacturer recommends.

I only load 45 Colt for a Rossi 92 lever. I’ve always liked Red Dot for its versatility in a wide range of calibers. 6.7gr behind a powder coated Lee 255 gr FN gets me around 925 fps with decent accuracy out of the 20” barrel. Unique also works very well but doesn’t measure as well for me as Red Dot.

Banned
    This is from the Alliant website...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	273 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	211041

Taking these numbers up to 10.0 gr is way beyond what the manufacturer recommends.
    Is your Alliant a recent manual?

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Is your Alliant a recent manual?
    I copied the image right off the Alliant website this morning.

Banned
    No, I didn't question the info you posted. It would be interesting to dig up a manual from the 60's just to see the difference in the loads. Most were a lot heavier back then.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 01-05-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HighHook View Post
    Yep! 6 grains of reddot has been my only load for 30+ years.
    My experience is the same. I've used 6 grains of Red Dot with bullets ranging from 200 to 270 grains. Gave gratifying accuracy in all...the lighter bullets left unburned powder, unless savagely crimped. Shot from Colt SAA, various Blackhawks, Bisleys and one Colt Anaconda, as well as a Marlin 1894 with microgroove barrel.

I've been running 6.5 in both .45 colt and .44mag. But they are all rifles not pistols. So recoil really is not an issue.
    Very good accuracy, no leading, no problems, and pretty quiet.

Boolit Master

I been on a Green dot kick lately. I really like it. LGS has been out of Red dot so i tried Green dot. Very glad i made the choice. I just picked up another 8lb jug.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I find Promo 6.0 gr. under a Lyman 452424 to be super accurate. Also love Unique 7.5 gr. under the same boolit.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I'm not even sure how to answer that.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast