WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Commercial Fishing Net weights

Boolit Master

Commercial Fishing Net weights

Does anyone know the general composition of the lead weights on the bottom of medium to larger commercial gill nets. The weights themselves are a hollow tube 2-3" length with approx 1/2" outer diameter that are strung on the bottom edge of the net.

I may have a chance at about 10 gallons of these that have been cut from junk nets but I have no idea what I might find.

Anyone with any experience with these?

thanks in advance.

Boolit Buddy
    Though unscientific, I took the weights I had and knocked them together with a Pb ingot and a WW ingot. Equal denting with the Pb, I just called them pure. But that is just me. No matter what, they are good to have.

Boolit Grand Master

If their from old commercial nets, they're probably pure. If from recent, or China made nets, they could be anything that will melt. Drop them on concrete, and if they thud, they're probably good stuff. If they ring more like a bell, be suspicious.

Boolit Master

Thanks I'll give them the drop and dent tests.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just smelt a small amount and see if they cast and then try my buddy's Saaco hardness tool.

These are probably 10-15 years old and from damaged nets and already cut free.

Boolit Master
    I commercial fish and net weights are very expensive to buy, over $3# now plus shipping. You might do better to sell them on Flea bay or Craigs etc... and use the cash to buy lead. I cast my own. Virtually all the commercial weights I've met are soft PB. I havent bought any for a long time so Chinese/India origion stuff could be anything. Where are yours coming from and what is the age and source of the nets? A little more info and I could give a better clue but best bet is soft. However testing each of them isn't that hard and if any of them "ring" they could be zinc. Best, 10 ga
    Last edited by 10 ga; 05-27-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelpuncohertation
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Banned

the local comercial fisherman cast there own. They buy the empty tins and pour them full of lead. They use about anything for lead. mostly ww.