Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revolver noise

Boolit Grand Master

Revolver noise

I have a question from the more experienced smiths here. I have always carried a S&W model 19 as my defensive/close-range piece when I am hunting. I keep it loaded with full house 357mags. However, I dread the day that I actually use it to dispatch a deer or something because it is so freaking loud!
    I would rather shoot five shots out of my 300winmag without ear protection, than shoot just one shot from the model 19. I can shoot several times with the 300 and my ears quit ringing after a few hours, but one shot from the 357 leaves my ears ringing for days (at least two)
    I believe that the problem is the gas that escapes from the gap between the cylinder and the barrel (end shake). My mod19 has a .009" gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone. I know that's on the high side, but I have left it alone because it insures that I can fire 400 rounds without getting any binding while shooting dirty powders (OK maybe over-insures but if it aint broke don't fix it right?)
    Anyway, I wonder if tightening up the end shake would help this baby out some for shooting without ear protection?
    My first thought would be that any gap is going to sound about the same , but I thought I would ask someone else's opinion.
    Just to clarify, I don't plan on shooting without ear protection on a regular basis. I am only concerned that one or two shots per year could damage my already questionable hearing, and anything I could do to reduce that problem would be a wise thing on my part. I always try to put in some ear protection, but there are times when there just isn't time for it.
    Thanks fellers.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    i would suggest that you load it anyway you like for defense, but that you use a more moderate load for dispatching a downed animal. try lead wadcutters at 800 fps for something that will pierce a decent sized skull and do so quietly.

Boolit Grand Master

Specifically, dose the endshake have anything to do with the noise of the pistol?
    try lead wadcutters at 800 fps for something that will pierce a decent sized skull and do so quietly.
    That's not a bad idea, but I have to keep 'er loaded with the good stuff because of the little pig problem we have here in Arkansas. I suppose I could Barney Fife it with a couple light ones in my pocket, but I just wondered if the endshake would make a difference.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I doubt end shake is the problem. The .357 mag, is just LOUD! You should also own a .30 Carbine revolver, and you would no longer think the .357 is loud.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

That's what I thought. Oh well. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE here I come!
    Still, I think I will get some washers and tune this baby up tighter just to see if it might reduce it a little.

Boolit Lady
    Touch one of those off in a room or a car interior and then you'll really have hearing problems? What did I say??? Huh???
    I'd suggest a lower pressure load. Snugging up the barrel/cylinder gap might help a small amount.

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you mam. I am willing to do anything that might help even a little.
    I could just carry a different gun, but I am best with my smith. Give me some earplugs and I'll knock over bowling pins @ 60 yards all day long, but dang it punishes my ears mercilessly!

Boolit Lady
    357 is loud, if you want quiet get a revolver in 45acp. My 357 is the quickest way to see if I am close to getting a headache. A few shots out of my Python and I either start having fun or my head feeling as if it is about to explode.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep some ear muffs with the revolver. If you have time to grab them, great. If not,
    se la vie. There is some evidence that the human ear can disconnect internally in
    severe stress situations. More than a few people that were involved in gunfights report
    no ear ringing or hearing loss when it would be expected if done "in cold blood". I wouldn't
    want to count on it, but you might luck out. Keep the muffs handy.

I once chronoed a .357 load for a friend, IIRC 16 gr of 2400 and 158 gr JHP from a 2inch
    Ruger Speed Six, under a range roof. . . . . . . with plugs and muffs. . . . . . . I fired two
    shots and retired from the field. I let the owner fire the remaining 4 rounds while I stepped
    back to about 20 yds away.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

Don't count on it. I let seven full-house .45 ACPs go in very close quarters in a dire SD situation nearly ten years ago, my ears still ring to this day and sharp noises like hammer blows are painful, even though I never heard the shots. You make the choice ahead of time with a defensive weapon, life or ears. For working loads, get yourself a nice .45 Colt and load heavy boolits in it, put your shooting-side ear into your shoulder and stick a finger in the other one when you can plan ahead.

Gear

You have very high pressures with 357 - it will come out the cylinder gap and the muzzle and it will be loud - best bet is to change to a lower pressure loading and put in ear plugs.

Setting the barrel back to reduce barrel/cylinder gap (adjust the headspace before you do this - er, while ye're at it) might make a noise reduction effect, though you might not be able to notice. Will make higher pressures, should reduce loads. The smaller the bore, the more unpleasant the report (sharper, hurts the ear more). A 44 is less upsetting to the ears, though the concussion may disorient you. Maybe a .45 colt? Lower pressures, bigger bore. Mo kick butt.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    The OSS developed a rather sneaky form of silencer that required no modification for use with a standard S&W model 10.
    The set up looked like a "Clamshell Holster" and you could wear the enclosed pistol on the belt as if it was a holstered side arm.
    The secret was that the suppressor assembly and baffles were integral to the holster, which was actually made of stamped sheet steel rather than leather and was hinged along the spine with a stout "piano hinge" and latched by means of a strap that passed behind the exposed trigger guard like a safety strap.
    Since the form fitting clamshell covered the cylinder and barrel completely no cylinder gap gases escaped.

I suppose that if one wished to sacrifice an old holster by testing whether firing the revolver while enclosed in the holster deadened the cylinder gap blast you might find it a useable tool for finishing off game.
    A holster much longer than required for the barrel length could also allow muffling of the muzzle blast by close contact with the flesh and fur of the animal to be dispatched.

Other than that I've found a thick, preferably damp, towel wrapped around the pistol and gunhand does a pretty good job of muffling subsonic pistol shots up to .38 Special.
    Caution if using a dry towel or other dry cloth, they can burst into flame long after the shot was fired and fragments can cause a brushfire.

Boolit Master

has anyone decided to just tell him to carry a couple of foam earplugs in a case in his pocket. He's going to use it to dispatch a wounded animal so he has time to put the plugs in before he shoots.

I carry plugs for whenever I am going to shoot a firearm. I double up on the range as well for multiple shots. Tinnitis (ringing in the ears) is not a fun thing to have. I've been dealing with it for over 20 years and once the damage is done its not easy to right.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    35 years ago last January I was in a kitchen when 9 .357 Magnum rounds were fired from 3 S&W Model 19/66 4" revolvers in about 3 seconds. I was totally deaf for about a week. Today my ears ring constantly and I have very little high frequency hearing in my right ear. Wear the earplugs if you can.

Boolit Grand Master

has anyone decided to just tell him to carry a couple of foam earplugs in a case in his pocket. He's going to use it to dispatch a wounded animal so he has time to put the plugs in before he shoots.

I carry plugs for whenever I am going to shoot a firearm. I double up on the range as well for multiple shots. Tinnitis (ringing in the ears) is not a fun thing to have. I've been dealing with it for over 20 years and once the damage is done its not easy to right.
    I agree and concur whole heartedly, and I do carry earplugs. There are times that there is no time to insert them in my ears though, which means that there may come a day when I have to use it o-natural.
    There have been several times when I'm sitting in the tree stand and I realize that I forgot to put the ear protection in my pocket. At that point, It really bugs me because if I need to use the pistol, its going to be a dire situation and not a practical one (ie a deer may need to be shot from three feet away with a 358winchester).
    I started this as a gunsmithing question really just to satisfy my curiosity. I already have tinnitus setting in as I can hear ringing in my ears now just sitting here. I am a machinist by trade, and it kind of goes with the territory.
    Anyway, I appreciate the comments. I think I may try to lay my hands on a .44mag someday and see how well it does.

Tim,
    Heavy bullets driven by slow powder are not quite so painful as the lighter bullet high performance loads in .357. 2400 behind a 180-200 grain cast slug is a real stopper and easier on the ears and gun.

Tightening endshake would, I think, tend to increase blast as it would increase the barrel- cylinder gap though I doube you would notice.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the tip Dan! I shoot only 200 grain slugs in my 357 but I have been using relatively fast powders. I'll try the slower ones and see what I find.

Boolit Master
    .357 magnum is loud and exceeds 100 meters. If you want quiet, go down to a 38 special load. There's a lot of difference between full house loads and good reloads. Understand just what you mean, 357 has a piercing report.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    They sell haring protection that comes on a headband kind of deal, that I keep around my neck when driving through the woods, for easy access. Endshake really won't have any impact on whether you go deaf or not, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast