WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Kimber 82 Test

Kimber 82 Test

Kimber Model 82 Rifle #83XX 5-23-2012

Spent the day at the Plum Orchard Public Shooting Range with said rifle. The rifle appears to be stock with Leupold 4X scope mounted. All groups were fired using a Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/348...-shooting-rest

Ammunition supplied with rifle was RWS Subsonic HP Field Line, lot 213 26 64. My personal ammunition used included Federal Gold Medal Match, Federal Gold Medal Target, Wolf Match Target, Fiocchi Super Match 320, Eley Sport, CCI Green Tag Competition, CCI Mini Mag Varmint, and CCI Blazer [CCI production, not Federal].

I arrived at the range 11:30AM. The grass had been mowed only minutes before, benches were clean as were the concrete pads. The front & rear rest were set on the far right bench and adjusted to fit the Kimber rifle and me.

First target containing 3 each 2 inch bulls was placed at 25 yards. A 5 shot group was fired at the center bull with the Kimber. I fired a 5 shot group at the left bull using my Marlin 780. The target was then moved to 50 yards were the right hand bull was fired with the Kimber. The 5 shot groups all used the RWS ammunition.

I noted a 2 inch bull wasn’t large enough for my eyes at 50 yards using the 4X scope so all other targets were made using a 3 inch bull. I also adjusted the scope focus for my eyes.

From here I fired 3 each 5 shot groups, walked the 50 yards & replaced the target. This was done each time till all ammunition was tested. A total of 30 each 5 shot groups were fired on paper. Testing was interrupted by rain and during this time I fired an unknown amount of CCI Blazer ammunition through the Kimber offhand at an NRA Small Bore Chicken Silhouette swinger placed at 44 yards.

The average group size for the 30 groups was .693 inches. As mentioned the rifle appeared stock. The trigger took a bit of getting used to. The weight of pull was acceptable but there was a bit of creep which after learned was taken up to the point of “the break” and point of aim adjusted before firing. Also noticed, the barrel isn’t free floated.

The front rest, while of fine quality, used a bag for a wide, flat forearm bench gun. This combined with my lack of bench shooting skills are most likely the reason for groups of the same ammunition varying widely at times. Note the rifle wasn’t tracking in the bags so it was repositioned each shot which does lead to fine accuracy. With a better from bag and a scope of 12X power or better the groups would have stood a better chance of being more consistent.

The ammunition supplied with the rifle [RWS Subsonic HP Field Line] I feel would have stayed inside a ½ inch with the above improvements and may have anyway had they been fired later in the shooting secession after I learned a little about addressing the rifle.

After the limited testing I feel CCI Mini Mag Varmint should be visited further and considered for field use. The ammunition supplied [RWS Subsonic HP Field Line], the Federal Gold Medal Match and Federal Gold Medal Target are those I had on hand that hold promise.

The CCI Blazer ammunition was tested as a bulk round for plinking. The velocity is claimed by the factory to 1235 FPS. Please note that others say this ammunition is produced by both CCI and Federal. The talk on the web is the CCI version is better. I fired this also in my Marlin 780. The results are shown on the paper plate target, 20 rounds, 50 yards, 1.515 inches. I could also hit the chicken without fail using the Marlin and Blazer ammunition from the bench.

LA Halstead
    Dry Creek Bullet Works

The two CCI Blazer targets

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I don't think I've ever seen a Kimber shoot bad though it does tend to have preferences in ammunition . A rifle like that will have staying power .... it'll stay with you untill you can't hold it up any more I think I bought mine in 1987 and it still shoots tiny groups like that .

Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    I noticed that the ammo types varied with more than one manufacturer.

You did shoot at least 15 rounds through the tube using one particular ammo type first, and then shot for record with 3 five shot groups with that same ammo type, right?

Given that you mentioned shooting 30 five shot groups, and given the number of ammo brand and type switches, I'm suspected that might have not happened, which is why I'm asking. The round count should have been higher.

Thanks Jack. The rifle isn't mine. The dealer allowed me to try it. Not sure it's going to be for sale as he loves 22 rifles. What do you think the rifle is worth? It has one mark on the stock which amounts to nothing. Blue is very good. The scope is a Leupold 4X.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I noticed that the ammo types varied with more than one manufacturer.

You did shoot at least 15 rounds through the tube using one particular ammo type first, and then shot for record with 3 five shot groups with that same ammo type, right?
    Made no attempt to season the bore with ammo X before shooting for group. I understand where you're coming from but made no effort but to shoot the groups as stated above.

Boolit Grand Master
    Absolutely, positively do it. My rifles experience dramatic group size decreases when the barrel is cleared of dissimilar lubricant and fouling from different brands of ammo and their often vast lubricant differences.

It's no myth......it matters. About 10 to 15 rounds is necessary, at least for my own use. Paying attention to group size in relationship to round count helps.

If the rifle has not been shot for awhile before a hunt, as in that day, I will also shoot a few conditioning rounds before relying on the rifle to hit point of aim consistently. A necessary ritual with .22 long rifles.

Moderator Emeritus
    LAH,

The CMP was selling brand new Kimbers for $600. A couple years ago, in an effort to move whatever they had left, they offered "rusty" Kimbers for $400. I don't think anyone ever found a spec of rust on any rifle. They were brand new in the box also. All of these included the rear sight, front sight with inserts, and hand stop. The "rusty" Kimber's were quite a deal.

I bought a couple used Kimbers a few years ago from the CMP for $175 or something like that. They were a great deal! They do show some wear though.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Absolutely, positively do it. My rifles experience dramatic group size decreases when the barrel is cleared of dissimilar lubricant and fouling from different brands of ammo and their often vast lubricant differences.

It's no myth......it matters. About 10 to 15 rounds is necessary, at least for my own use. Paying attention to group size in relationship to round count helps.

If the rifle has not been shot for awhile before a hunt, as in that day, I will also shoot a few conditioning rounds before relying on the rifle to hit point of aim consistently. A necessary ritual with .22 long rifles.
    Like I said, I "understand" were you're coming from. I made no attempt to do anything but enjoy myself.

And garandsrus the guy who owns this Kimber has a Govt Model in the vault that 'bout looks like a new one. It's for sale but the one pictured so far isn't.

John is a very reasonable man , I'm sure if you always ask him very politely he will remember you before he unloads it .

As far as there value?? the most recent Kimber that was offered to me was a standard Hornet new in the box for twelve hundred . I know that probably isn't a fair comparison but my only other experience was this neat little deluxe model in left hand way back in ...........

I'm not even sure if the Government model compares price wise to a sporter . Me , I would watch the auctions for one similar and see what they sell for and make offers from there .

Jack

Jack I see the sporter/classic rifles for 900/1000 if memory serves.

That is only about three hundred bucks more than I paid for mine back then . The rifle is a lefty , deluxe , extra five round mag and Warne rings total price including tax was six hundred sixty-five bucks . I thought it was fair back then and if I was to consider inflation the price you mention wouldn't be to far out of line even today . The thing to look for would be one like new in the box or close to that .

The Kimber isn't my most used rimfire but it always gives me great pleasure to use it . I could go on but with the trigger time you have with the rifle you show , I think you know what I mean .

Dive in my friend ............. buy one

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stanley; 10-15-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    The CMP has some "Rusty" Kimber 82 .22 target rifles for sale again at $425 they probably won't last long.
    http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/22targetsurplus.htm

I ordered two for my grandsons for Christmas along with two cases of ammo. Maybe a single shot will slow them down enough so they concentrate on marksmanship.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

This may be related, or not-with the rifle you were shooting being a Kimber 82 sporter, and not the Kimber 82 Govt model, but here it is...

I've read several reports from shooters who owned the Kimber 82 Govt model that they got less-than-desired accuracy from this configuration. I seem to recall the problem was with the way the Kimger 82 Govt was chambered. It (the chamber) was either too long, or wider, or had a too long throat (something in that realm). Anyway, after the barrel was cut and rechambered with a target chamber (ie Bentz), it shot lights out.

Maybe you can do a cerrosafe chamber cast on the rifle, and find out. They are nice rifles, but if the chamber isn't right, "looking good" is very different from "shooting well." Maybe the barrel needs to be cut back a bit at the breach, and rechambered. There's a company called "Conneticut Precision chambering" (or something like that) which may be able to rechamber a 22 LR rifle barrel for you.
    http://www.ct-precision.com/

Looks like some loads shot well for you.
    Last edited by catboat; 10-15-2012 at 08:54 PM.

I do know that Government contract specified and accuray level so all rifles had to be tested . Those that shot better than the contract specified were sold as commercial models . Those that met the specifications went to the government . Those that didn't make the grade had the barrels chopped I think .

I bought one of the old Mossberg rifles the CMP offered years ago and it serves any "need" I have for a heavy rifle .

Everybody oughta have a Kimber sporter though ... ain't that right LAH ?

Jack

I have an original Kimber 82 DLX Left hand made in Clackamas, every time I shoot it I am amazed by ii. It has Warne rings and a vintage Leopold 3-9X (whichever model was sold in 1979 - 1980)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBRILL View Post
    I have an original Kimber 82 DLX Left hand made in Clackamas, every time I shoot it I am amazed by ii. It has Warne rings and a vintage Leopold 3-9X (whichever model was sold in 1979 - 1980)
    Sounds familiar, though my LH Custom Classic has Kimber (Leupold) rings and a slightly newer Leupold 3-9 EFR.
    I need to get that one out again and shoot it - too many rifles, too little time. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Everybody oughta have a Kimber sporter though ... ain't that right LAH ?

Jack
    As I said in one of the above post:

Thanks Jack. The rifle isn't mine. The dealer allowed me to try it. Not sure it's going to be for sale as he loves 22 rifles. What do you think the rifle is worth? It has one mark on the stock which amounts to nothing. Blue is very good. The scope is a Leupold 4X.

Well Jack he didn't sell the rifle so I am Kimberless.