Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1885 Browning BPCR 45/70

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Your pedersoli is just right for the creedmoor and midrange matches, 15 lb weight limit there..
    Most of the "gong" shoots don't have any weight limit either except for the part about having to shoot the same rifle for offhand as the rest of the targets.... Sorta limits the 25 lb guns for other stuff.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Don,

Your killing me!

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

Drew load momma your bedrolls, some grub, and your rifles and all the ammo you can muster in the car. Tell her we're goin on vacation and find yourself in forstyh mt. in about 2 weeks from now.
    Come shoot the Quigley match, and you can stop in and shoot Baker Mt on the way the weekend before, and then you can shoot Peabody Pass at Rahm ND the weekend after on your way home....
    By the time you get thru with that you'll be smilin for the rest of your days....

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Waksupi it's always good to learn a bit more. Which one of those are Carmen's matches?
    Lone Tree is where I see Carmen show up. She doesn't run it, just shoots. I didn't go down last weekend, since my vehicle was broke down. It sounds like it was wet and windy, as usual.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Could you expand on the TP filler on top of the powder. Is it rolled up, or wadded? I have heard of it before but always wondered how it gets put in the case.

Roll the tp into a nice little roll,slide it in the case and let it unwind. I didn't find it to help with accuracy a bit, and run over the chrono, it caused a bit more spread with 5744.

Waksupi sounds like you guys always have a good time at those, from the write up I saw somewhere and the moccassin telegraph.

Don - that is awful tempting. But - I aint retired yet and things at work are hopping.

But I do like the sound of that.

Now where do a find a mould for that Quigley and BP?
    Big Bore = 45+

Go with the saeco 645, or if you're really feeling flush go to BACO's web and get one of their 510 gr creedmoor blocks. The saeco is good to 1000 yds + but if you ever did decide to try and NRA creedmoor match it's a bit under weight for some of the restrictions certain ranges put out. But the BACO bullet should go anywhere anyplace and do an excellent job.

With 45/70 and 45/90 - I have never had luck with a load that didn't fill the case.

I have read about TP, cream of wheat, Pooflin (SP) and some others. I did find in the older Lyman manuals to use Dacron as the filler.

Use enough dacron that you get a little compression of the dacron.

Dacron has taken my 45/90 from 3.5 in to sub in with 3031 and from 2.5 in to sub in with 4198SC.

Caution - Anytime you use a filler the load must be worked up using the filler - go back to square 1 with your starting load and go up from there.

Most fillers will change your chamber pressure. Remember your safety rules and you won't have any issues.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

BACO's web site????

Cause I ain't got a clue who this is.
    Big Bore = 45+

They are right proud of their moulds - aren't they! $134 for a SC!
    Big Bore = 45+

You'll be hard pressed to find better quality at any price. The BACO moulds that I have and have used are real easy to cast with. Bullets from those moulds are starting to show up in the top finishers in alot of matches now.

Boolit Master
    I've got a few of the BACO moulds and they are really nice. Considering the price of a case of black powder and the lead and tin to go with it, a little money on a good mould is money well spent IMHO.

Chris.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Waksupi sounds like you guys always have a good time at those, from the write up I saw somewhere and the moccassin telegraph.
    They are a lot like the early day buffalo rifle matches we used to have down in Virginia City, Montana, before it got too big. That is why these are invitational. More people, less fun.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

10-4 on the people and fun thing.

Boolit Mold
    I purchased a Shiloh Sharps 45-110 from a fellow that was using smokeless powder behind a 540 gr Paul Jones Creedmoor bullet. He was using an 1/8" veggie wad, 42.0 grs on H4198, Kapok filler, and Win Magnum Primers. He shot these three groupings which aren't bad considering open sights at 100 yards:

He wasn't able to get too good of results using Black Powder. I have used the rifle at Gong Shoots and BPCR Silouettes and have had pretty good results. I changed to using a 45/70 instead because it's easier to shoot and requires a third less powder per shot. Brass is also easier to get.

I think smokeless or black powders are as good. In the 45/110 case, it is so much larger that the excess room is more of an issue to deal with. I wouldn't shoot smokeless in the 110 or even the 100. The smaller cases work alright without using fillers. The use of fillers is just one more major complication that has to be dealt with. If you want to use smokeless, I would suggest staying with the 45/70. It's a much more versatile round and is quite a bit cheaper to shoot!!

Boolit Mold
    Someone above mentioned that he thought that smokeless powder gave more uniform velocities but I have heard the opposite and have experienced that as well. I cronographed three rounds from my 110 and they were 1194, 1187, and 1196. I ran three through my 45/70 and they were 1042, 1049, and 1039. There were other shots but were hundreds off which I attributed to either the concussion or black powder haze. These were the only shots that recorded reasonably within any sort of parameter. I need to retry this to see if I can get better (more consistant) data, possibly on a cloudier day or whatever.

As I understand it, due to the way that black powder burns, it achieves a rather uniform level of preasure that doesn't change with the amount where that is what varies with smokeless. My understanding anyway.

i have to say that i have never shot a match in my life....bpcr or any other so i will say that there is an abundance of enjoyment in experimenting in any fasion you want to do. be it smokless...duplex smokless under blackpowder...or straight blackpowder. i know that i have a hoot with any of these powders and i refuse to just not play becouse somebody doesnt like what im stuffing inside my cases. this is a personal quest for me and i fully intend on joining a group when im ready but i hate not knowing spit before i show up for the first *** kicking in my career of competition shooting. blackpowder is very expensive here and kinda hard to get but that has not stopped me nor will it. i have a quantity of rifles earned the old hard way and the lead i case is sometimes wheel weights and sometimes...mostly...from muddycreeksam and i find it amazing stuff so i use the heck outta it.

there is going to be controversy wherever ya go so just brush em off and glean the most info you can cause everybody...[liked and disliked]...have contributed to my knowledge at some time or another. there are great things to be learned here if your feelings are not out on the shirt sleeves.

A lot of truth there bigted!
    Big Bore = 45+

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast