Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Texan Progressive Shotshell Reloader

Boolit Master

What is pictured is an M-II
    It does have the shovel for the handle to move the loaded ammo
    to a catch box in the rear side of the machine
    Notice metal wad guide holder, spring in final crimp die, old auto primer style, etc
    Mike

p.s.
    Most M-IVs have a plate or holes for a plate

Last edited by skeettx; 05-26-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well it is clear that I have a MK 2, and not an MK 4 Basic as I was told.

Thanks Mike

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Yea,a big thanks Mike! I would still be in the dark on these things without your help! I feel this first one is not my last and it will be nice to tell one from the other! I'm going to keep my eyes open for a Texan catalog that shows all the models. There is just not enough info on the Net!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I thought I would ask this question of the long time users of this loader. I once owned a PW 800 loader and it had advance shellplate problems and I hear that PW will rebuild loaders with new parts,retime,ect.

However, I have talked to owners all over the Internet that claim they have been using their Texan Progressives for close to 30 yrs and have loaded 100's of thousands of rounds with nothing but replacement of wad fingers? Be advised,I'm not trying to start a brand war,I'm just wondering why? The advance shellplate system on the Texan must be some kind of heavy duty is the only thing I can come up with?
    Last edited by seagiant; 05-28-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

Yes the shell plate advance is STOUT and once activated is fixed, mechanical and flawless.
    It is a cam plate.
    Mike

IMHO the trouble with the PW 800 is simple once you start the shell there is no removing it until full cycle mine won't load some hulls with some wads about 1 in 5 don't seat right. the PW 900 is a better unit as you can remove the shells at any station.

Like I posted before wish I had my Texan back, but find myself using a mec grabber or sizemaster most of the time instead of the PW unless i'm loading active hulls W/CB 1oz wads.

Boolit Master
    Hi HD,
    That's my point! If a reloader does not work right it gets a bad name! That's a given,especially with the Internet now! What got my interest up on the Texan was that in my quest for info and talking to owners I've never heard the first complaint and coupled with HEAVY usage!

I sold my PW 800 to a friend that loves them and was above board with the problems but he was happy to get it??? I use the PW Met II and the PW 375 loader and think they are both leaders in their type but just will never have another PW 800!

Boolit Master

For manuals for the M-II and M-IV
    look here

http://stevespages.com/texan.html

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the manuals Mike!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I don't think we are allowed to post e-bay links,but if you go there and type in Texan Reloader,you will bring up what is available. One of the loaders is a red (early) model with no primer feed and has without a doubt been used! It has 2 days to go and is already at $162!

This is why I jumped on mine! I wanted to thank everyone for the nice info on these loaders and everyones input. I am once again better informed than I was! You gotta love this site!

The reason my first progressive metallic reloader was a Dillon 650 is bcuz I had 2 of those old Texan loaders. The first one was the original red-base model in 12 GA, followed by the M2 that we converted to load 20 and 410.
    Having a mechanical background and knowing that precision is GOOD, My father and I loved the fine workmanship of the ROTEX.
    So many of the local rednecks we shot with got them, couldn't figure them out and soon sold them dirt cheap and replaced them with MECs. (we still out-shot them)
    Now that Dad is gone, I have both of them, tho I don't shoot many clays I still appreciate what they are.
    Consequently, I was not at all afraid to buy the Dillon. It runs perfectly, as did those Texans. The only thing I might have had in place of them would be a LJUTIC. But they were only 12 GA. and we wanted to shoot skeet too.
    We made our own powder and shot bushings.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Master
    Hi RoGrrr,
    Thanks for the info! So you have had the older Red model and the Black MII. I was wondering if you could tell me your opinion on one over the other or your experience between the two? I have a old DL-300 that only has the primer post (no auto primer feed) and do not see it as a downside! This coming from a man that sold his Spolar Gold,but would never sale my Deitemeyer!!!

Between the red and black, I truly have no preference. The black incorporated the gauge change capability. The heads are primarily the same (Black has powder and shot cutoffs. Big deal !) and all the dies and bushings are too.

Once adjusted, given your knowledge/skills/abilities, they both will function the same way.
    On that subject, I have a Dillon 650, after much time studying the 650 and 550. I chose the (more complex) 650 due to the added shell station so I could immediately incorporate their powder check, but down the road, I thought I might like to add a bullet feeder. That would be hard with the 550.

So, that extremely complex TEXAN taught me/set me up for other complex machines down the road. I'm forever thankful for the lessons learned by it.

Now I have a Magma Bullet Master (8 moulds which run continuously with no supervision. Can you say - PRODUCTION FACILITY) to cast slugs with, and even tho it was offered as a "basket case abortion" (sight unseen - ebay, you know) I jumped in with both feet and have no qualms whatsoever that it will work flawlessly for me after I rebuild and adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi RoGrrr,
    Thanks for the info! So you have had the older Red model and the Black MII. I was wondering if you could tell me your opinion on one over the other or your experience between the two? I have a old DL-300 that only has the primer post (no auto primer feed) and do not see it as a downside! This coming from a man that sold his Spolar Gold,but would never sale my Deitemeyer!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Master
    Hi RG,
    Thanks for the insight/opinion! The no primer feed Red model on E-bay went for over $200+shipping! Guess I did alright after all! Can't wait to get home and set mine up! Thanks again!

Boolit Mold
    I want to apologize before hand if I am breaking any forum rules for posting this here (mods can PM me).

I have two Texan progressive reloaders (12/20 ga) that I decided not to keep. I have them up for sale/trade on another forum but if someone here is interested, I will halt the sale. I may even consider trading them for some cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    Howdy bds, most of us reloaders are nosey and of course are interested and appreciate in what cha got.

However, to keep from getting your hand slapped by the mods, and to further help yourself, you might want to post what you have and how much you want or list your demands over in the the "Swapp'n and Sell'n" section. Go over to the home page and down near the bottom. Of course pics go a looonnng way.

Good Luck to ya!

And thanks for the heads up!

bds, you can't advertise them for sale here unless you end the ad on the other forum...just a heads up for ya.

Boolit Mold
    UNIQUEDOT, got it. Thanks, didn't know.

I will wait a bit to see what the initial response is on the other forum and if there's no interest, I'll close out the sale and post here for trade with some "cast boolits".

Boolit Master

Give us more data please
    Cost?
    Model M or RT or ??
    Thanks
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Mold
    I am asking $160 each or $290 for the set.
    I will also consider 5000 45ACP 200 gr SWC sized .452" and lubed (wheel weight alloy OK).

I am not familiar with the Texan presses and out of town on work til Friday. I can check the presses and report back/post more close up pics.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast