Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice sub sonic 22RF ammo

Boolit Master

Advice sub sonic 22RF ammo

Advice on sub sonic(quiet) 22 RF ammo for pest removal. (Chucks). I heard 22 CB Long are good.I dont like the crack of 22RF reglar HP ammo.Distance 40 yrds max. Thanks Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought some CCI Quiet-22.
    It is new product. I bought 500 rds for $26 at the show this weekend

40 gr @ 710 FPS

Shooting CB Longs was like lobbing artillery rounds downrange - you can see them run. Accuracy was minute of coffee cup.

These new rounds seem faster (710 FPS) and much more accurate (only shot 30 rds).

Try some

Geoff in Oregon

Boolit Master
    Thanks. The neighbors dont like the sonic"crack"

Boolit Master

Just get some good standard velocity target ammo it runs about 1000-1075 fps and no sonic crack along with a very mild muzzle report. Most of it is extremely accurate.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I currently have on hand CCI 22 cb long , Aguila super colibri & colibri.
    the CCI is my favorite @ 710 fps with a 29 gr bullet & the super colibri next @ 500 fps with a 20 gr bullet & the colbri @ 375 fps with a 20 gr bullet . they are accurate and quiet with the CCI being the loudest ,super colibri next quietest and colibra the quietest
    You will have to find what ammo your gun likes the best ! or in some instances it my not like any of them . but most will like at least one kind with the cci probly will be the most accurate from the widest range of firearms. i limit my shooting to 25 yards or less with these rounds.

How quiet do you need/want to go?

I generally use Aguila HP subsonic 38 grn

the 60 grn SSS don't stabilize out of a lot of barrels.

22 Short standard velocity HP work well out of a longer (20+") barrel

Boolit Buddy
    CCI Quiet 22 has a 40 gr going at 710 FPS - and as per bobthenailer - CB long only has a 29 gr going at the same speed.

So now I need to do some side by side comparisons on the Quiet vs. CB Long.

It looks like the 40 gr Quiet is ballistically superior to the CB long.

Sight in @ 50 yards - 6.4" vs. 6.7" drop (at least according to the CCI site.)

Energy @ 25 yards (more realistic range) - 40 ft lbs vs. 28 ft lbs.

Accuracy - have to try that at home.....but last night - I really like the 30 rds results (dirt clods...)

And CCI seems so much cleaner than the other brands

Geoff in Oregon

Boolit Master

The ONLY Remington .22s I use are their subsonic loads. VEWWY, VEWWY quiet when shooting wabbits - or groundhogs !

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    The ONLY Remington .22s I use are their subsonic loads. VEWWY, VEWWY quiet when shooting wabbits - or groundhogs !
    I put Remington over chrono and quiet yes, consistent not really. Sounds like you got a better brick than I did.

Boolit Buddy
    Is CCI more consistent than the remington?

I was not too impressed with the Remington Sub Sonic - A few failure to fire.

And i thought Remington was made someplace elese (Mexico...). Sorry I don't want to hijack the thread to dicuss where 22 shells are made.

Geoff

In my experience
    Aguila are Eley primed and consistent
    CCI are primed by CCI and consistent

Peters/Remington years ago made great target ammo
    - I don't know where the subsonic's come from now,
    but I don't buy them unless I can't get something I prefer.

Boolit Bub
    The cb longs are not really useful on critters as big as a woodchuck. the subs will work, sort of. I am working with the 'quiet' right now. seem fairly useful if you can make a headshot. I will be trying them on squirrels in 2-3 weeks. Seem to be about as accurate as the winchester sshp.

I just have to ask. How many chucks do you you have to deal with? And is this by chance in the suburbs? With your neighbors not liking the 'crack' of standard ammo, I suspect they are too close and you probably shouldn't be shooting. Is this groundhog causing some damage or just because you can? Maybe a trap is the wiser choice.

Last year I had a new neighbor move in from the city. Some one told them that If you see a groundhog you must kill it. Some **** about horses breaking legs. They don't own any horses. They shot at one in my fence. With a 357. Didn't realize bullets go somewhere after they hit the ground. skipped across my pasture and thru my kitchen window, missed me by 2 inches. missed my nephews temple by 3 inches. Was stopped by a stud in the wall across the room. My youngest was in the bathroom on the other side of the wall. If it had missed the stud he would have been hit about head high. This is serious business. Pay attention.

Boolit Master
    As Kit Carson said"Becarefull to aim and aim to be carefull"Safety is a must.

Boolit Master
    Just shot cci cb long and cci quiet. I filled the cylinder mo my single six with 3 of each randomly placed. You could not tell the difference by loudness, but the cci. Quiet is slightly " deeper" sounding, and the poi is about 2" lower than the cb at 50'.
    The colbri and super colbri are both quieter, but not as accurate, the SSS is a bit louder, but not so loud you can't hear the bullet smack the target.
    Btw the cb short and cb long both had the same poi out of my gun.

Boolit Mold at Heaven's Range
    I shoot 22 LR a lot, mostly at matches and at pond turtles that eat my fish. Any decent grade of match ammo is very accurate and pretty quiet. So I totally agree with the earlier post that said the same thing. Quiet is not an issue with me out here where I live, accuracy is.

I once killed a skunk with a lung shot using CB Long, and it'll do the same on rabbits, but chucks are another matter. Even using flat-pointed MiniMags I have to make a perfect head shot or it'll take me three rounds before the critter stops moving. I'm also well out of town, and I now use .22 Hornet for any chuck beyond 40 yards or so. Even the hot rimfire ammo just doesn't kill 'em DRT most of the time. If the O.P. wants a quiet way of dispatching chucks, maybe .32 S&W Short in a rifle?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    If i was going to shoot a chuck with anything but a Stinger i would use the 60 grain Aguila's i just picked up at the gunshow and flatpointed. We shot alot of chucks when we were younger with our .22's and the bulk hp's we shot for gophers and anything less than a head shot would let them crawl back down their holes. Testing i did last summer with the CCI CB's showed very quiet loads, but even flatpointed they would not stop gophers before they made it to their holes, i would not tackle a woodchuck with them unless really hardpressed.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    Well, I ain't tried it yet, but you fellers are aware of some rumors that the Aquila primer powered sdtuff is only to be shot outta pistols? Claim is that in a rifle the little lead thingie might stick in the barrel. And then the next trigger pull gets REAL exciting!

As I said, I don't know. Just sayin.... Any comments welcome ...... Lee
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Well, I ain't tried it yet, but you fellers are aware of some rumors that the Aquila primer powered sdtuff is only to be shot outta pistols? Claim is that in a rifle the little lead thingie might stick in the barrel. And then the next trigger pull gets REAL exciting!

I had heard that as well, but nowhere on the box does it say so on the SSS ammo i have, which is the only reason i bought it. the SSS ammo are noticeably louder than CB's out of the same gun, haven't crony'ed them but it would almost seem that they are faster.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Your refering to the Aguila Colibri

Midway desc:
    Aguila ammunition features a wide variety of unique loads for special rimfire applications. Colibri Ammunition is one the quietest rounds available. This makes it the perfect round for practice and high volume shooting. Aguila ammunition is new-production and non-corrosive.

PLEASE NOTE that this is not loaded with gunpowder. It is intended for training purposes only.

Technical Information
    Caliber: 22 Long Rifle
    Bullet Weight: 20 Grains
    Bullet Style: Solid Point

Ballistics Information:
    Muzzle Velocity: 375 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 6 ft. lbs.
    Cheaper than dirt desc:
    Manufacturer: Aguila 1B222339
    Item: AMM-066
    UPC: 640420001289

.22 Long Rifle, Aguila Super Colibri, 20 Grain Lead Round Nose Bullet, 500 Round Brick.

Aguila Super Colibri is super quiet ammo that does not contain gun powder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20 grain solid lead bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps at the muzzle with 11 ft/lbs of energy and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only.

Non returnable item.

Not recommended for use in long barreled guns as the projectile may become lodged and be dangerous (lethal) if a regular cartridge is shot as a follow up. Will not cycle in semi auto guns.
    Uses: Indoor training, pest control.
    Cabela's desc:
    Aguila .22 LR Super Colibri

The Super Colibri fires without a powder charge. It pushes a light 20-grain bullet at 500 fps with little noise. Will not cycle in most semi-automatic firearms. Great for young shooters and for use in revolvers. For use with handguns only. Per 500 rounds.
    Available: .22 Super Colibri.

Having shown this I have fired out of handguns and rifles - Never had a stuck bullet in MY GUNS, but I have a friend who in a new rifle got one stuck. As I always carry a sectional cleaning rod in my gun box, we had no problem pushing it out. I think after he fires 5K or more of regular ammo and smooths up his bore it will take the lower power rounds as well. The Colibris have problems with the tighter and rougher bores, too, it seems. And I'd be careful if you have one of the rifles with really long barrels as well

That's why the came up with the more powerful Super Colibris, to let it be shot thru rifle or pistol.
    Last edited by Artful; 05-30-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast