WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Questions before buying savage 110 ba stealth 338

Boolit Mold

Questions before buying savage 110 ba stealth 338

This is a two part question. First, I'm wanting to get a 338 lapua rifle, I'm mainly a savage guy( mainly the trigger), I like the look of the 110 ba stealth (stock adjustments, middle brake ect.) But it only has a 24" barrel, all the research I've done long range shooters prefer 26-28". Debating to get the gun and put a longer better barrel on it to take it to is full potential or just use it as factory barrel and never know how much better it can be. Or get a savage model 112 magnum target, and replace the buttstock with something I like better. Part two, optics. On my savage model 12 benchrest 308 win is a nightforce nxs 12-42×56 0'd at 600 yards, I love this scope wish I could get another and put it on the 338 but it is discontinued. I like what I've seen and read on the nightforce competition 15-55×52 but do I put it on the 338 or take the nxs off the 308 and put it on the 338 and put the competition on the 308. I rarely hunt with that 308, it is usually my benchrest gun, the 338 I probably will do more hunting with. Also the 338 will be zeroed at 1000 yards probably. Thoughts?
    Last edited by newb23; 05-27-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Super Moderator

............The NRA mag, "American Rifleman" (June 2017) has a great article Re: Sniping, "The Unsung Hero, The Mk 248 MOD 1 in 300 Winchester Magnum". Very interesting. If you haven't read it yet, you should. I wouldn't plan on changing out barrels either. I have a model 10 FP in .308. How about this:

Fired with Federal factory 168gr Match ammo at 100 yards.

And I sure hope you just haven't had time yet to read the article, and it's not because you're NOT a member of the NRA? I'll leave it at that.

..............Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 05-29-2017 at 03:02 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

First check what velocity your shorter barrel will produce then check remaining velocity at longest range you intend to shoot - if it's still supersonic at distance the shorter barrel won't hurt ya.

Second google nightforce nxs 12-42×56 - I see places with that same scope (used and new old stock) offering it for sale.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    don't overlook the 338 ultra mag. I have a 700 sendero in that caliber, and I love it. ballistically neck and neck (maybe even a little ahead) of the lapua and the rifle's a lot less expensive. mine shoots less than moa to 500 meters (longest our range goes to).

I bought the Savage 12 Target Magnum in .338 Lapua. Stock out of the box. 20MOA one piece rail (EGW If memory serves) For optics I put a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 Mil/Mil on it. Lapua brass, 300gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets, CCI LRM primers, and H1000 gets me on 2MOA steel at one mile (1760 yards)
    All in all, a pretty inexpensive set up.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

BTW 89gr of H1000 with that 300gr bullet will do 2700fps @ 4500 feet above sea level.

Perma-Banned
    Ditto on the 338 RUM. The Lapua was designed to be used in full auto and has a fair amount of taper. The 338 RUM is a superior BOLT action cartridge.

Barrel length means a great deal. My Savage with a 36" custom bbl will send 300 gr Bergers at 3000 fps with no pressure signs.
    RL 33 is better than Retumbo in mine.

Recoil is a lot !