Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halibut fishing

Halibut fishing

We got lucky to day and got a 142 pound halibut once we got it up to the boat I had to shoot it with my 45 colt derringer with the lee 230 gr round nose to calm it down,it worked. Happy days I will be eating halibut for a while.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

I know this doesn't qualify for hunting but I did get to shoot it. That has to qualify for something.

Boolit Master

I think it counts, anyone who has had to share a boat with a halibut don't need to ask why you had to shoot it. Nice fish!

That is an awful big flounder! Angry Hal I understand they are known as. We have a crazy TV fishing show presenter called Matt Watson. He went to Alaska fishing for halibut from a small inflatable boat. Hooked one that towed him around the bay. He got a bit spooked when whales started leaping around on the surface!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    That would also classify for Personal Protection award. Nice fish ! Imagine tackling that monster in a Kayak.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Really nice fish. The best I have ever done is a 45 lb Snook from a boat house on the St. Lucie in Florida.

Cast Hunter

That's gotta be the strangest cast boolit kill. Nice fish! We have a halibut charter scheduled for July. Can't wait!

Boolit Master
    I say it counts. No different than if I trapped hogs and shot em with cast. Great use of lead. I havent had to share the boat with a halibut, but I did with a 71 inch baracudda. If that wasnt my first baracudda, I would have known to shoot that thing before boating it also.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    I know this doesn't qualify for hunting but I did get to shoot it. That has to qualify for something.
    I don't know ----- I think you just shot it "for the halibut".

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Krack View Post
    I don't know ----- I think you just shot it "for the halibut".

Bob
    Now ats funE righ ere. I don cur ho ya er.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

That's a nice barn door ya got there.

Boolit Buddy
    good eating and lots of it!...congrats counts in my books!
    Jonathan

Yup you only need to bring a big live halibut on board one time to figure out it's a bad idea, the way they flop around they could easily break a leg or do some damage to the boat like rip a fuel line off a kicker can. Shoot em bleed them and hang them off the side. Seems the best way to do it. Shooting them adds some drama that I like. I don't shoot the little ones just smack them in the head with a gaff.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Yup you only need to bring a big live halibut on board one time to figure out it's a bad idea, the way they flop around they could easily break a leg or do some damage to the boat like rip a fuel line off a kicker can. Shoot em bleed them and hang them off the side. Seems the best way to do it. Shooting them adds some drama that I like. I don't shoot the little ones just smack them in the head with a gaff.
    Even the smaller butts we get down south go ballistic when they get on deck without prior pacification. If one looks "short", I just unhook 'em in the water and let them haul a--. Fish By Picasso, but they sure taste good.

They can be had pretty much year around hereabouts, so when nothing else is working the "default setting" is "bounce-ball for halis". The local bays and nearshore waters have lots of them.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Just so you didn't put no dents in the bottom of the boat !!!

Facta non verba

Boolit Master

When I fished Prince William sound for many years , we Harpooned them and had em tied off with 1000 pound test so they would bleed out and calm down...we learned the hard way after the .410 clipped the line on a big one when we first started fishing them.
    I like big "buts and I cannot lie.....lol
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Have not shot the line (yet) we harpoon them then shoot them then run a line through the mouth and out the gill plate. Had a 70 pounder get off the harpoon once could not believe what I was seeing nave had that happen before, it was a real heart breaker. I'm in the prince William sound.

Boolit Master

I fished out of Valdez as engineer on a Boat for over 12 years before the Captain got too dangerous and refused to listen to safety warnings...so I quit.
    I would love to find someone with a Large boat out of Valdez that needs a fishing buddy to spend 2-3 days out fishing at a time...I loved it and I know some good fishing holes.

Rich
    Glennallen, Ak.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

I'm in Cordova the wife and I try to get out when we can I have a little 21 foot bay liner trophy. The odds of having a nice day coinciding with a day off is pretty hit and miss so this fish was a gift from the fish gods.

Boolit Master
    Hey... was that fish in a barrel??