Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Make an Encore Stock?

Boolit Buddy

Make an Encore Stock?

I've been tossing around the idea of making an Encore carbine stock, as I'm not really the fond of the plastic one, as functional as it is....

Has anyone done this?
    Wondering what is the best method / tools to use for inletting the stock to fit the Encore action? Drill press? Chisels?

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I would highly recommend a Waksupi.

On my to do someday list. I was thinking of using my morticing machine to rough in the squarish hole then drill press the stock hole in steps to get the shouldered hole. After that carve to fit then bed it to receiver. Any tearout in the hole won't show after bedding.

Boolit Buddy
    I have started making an Encore stock from a piece of yew that I've had seasoning for many years.

I roughed out the wood and planed it to thickness. Then, I sawed the outline on the band saw. Next, I cut the square bed with the tablesaw, taking many passes to remove all of the wood. one kerf-cut at a time. That last step was a mistake........ I should have drilled the 5/8ths hole going into the grip BEFORE cutting the square bed. Ever try drilling a hole on an acute slope?? It doesn't work well, lol. Next time, I will make the drilling face square to the intended hole, and then shape the stock afterwards.

I did get a good 1/4'' hole drilled through the grip for the stock-to-action bolt hole, and then drilled and reworked the hole with a die grinder. Having had to use the die grinder to enlarge the hole diameter has made the fit between the action going into the grip and the hole somewhat sloppy. Does it matter? Dunno. The plastic stock that came with the TC does not have a tight fit here either. Perhaps with wood, it ought to be a tighter fit? If so, I will have to use Devcon or Marine tex or similar to bed the action here. I have never inspected another wood TC stock, factory or custom, to see the fit here.

A little dremmel tool use fior the action-opening notch on the bottom of the square bed and this is where I'm at. I have just started to do the fine inletting of the action to stock.

This stock will need to take the brunt of 44 mag 330gr hunting loads. Will it? Who knows? Guess I'll find out soon enough.

May I suggest sleeving the through-bolt hole instead of bedding it? And would that work? I've never had an Encore apart - due to lack of handgun hunting up here, they're not a very popular gun north of the 49th.

Bren R.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    Having had to use the die grinder to enlarge the hole diameter has made the fit between the action going into the grip and the hole somewhat sloppy. Does it matter? Dunno. The plastic stock that came with the TC does not have a tight fit here either. Perhaps with wood, it ought to be a tighter fit? If so, I will have to use Devcon or Marine tex or similar to bed the action here.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I was thinking of that too, sleeving the 5/8ths hole for the action, and also sleeving the hole as it narrows to 1/4'' for the action to stock bolt. It would be stronger.........but I am tyrying to keep the weight down on this back packer.

You're right.........no hand gun hunting here allowed........but almost as good is a 12'' TC pistol barrel on a carbine stock, legal at 26 1\4'' and short!