Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: PB gas checks

Boolit Mold

PB gas checks

I plan on buying a couple checkmakers from Pat when he gets back up and running. In the mean time does anyone sell plain base .35 cal. Checks?

Boolit Master
    Not commercially that I know of however there are a few here that may trade/sell you some.

DeerHunter,

I have some 35PB checks made of soda pop can materials. These were made using Pat's Marlin materials. I've been using this in 358429, 359640 and other 357 mold. This really works, no leading.

PM me if you need some.

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    I'm a bit late with this, but some time back, the NRA published an article ( by Col Harrison, IIRC) with photos that illustrated how to add gas checks to plain base bullets. You have to have a shallow circle machined into the very top of the sizing die, and then you have to make (punch out) some SOFT copper disks. I suspect soft aluminum would work too.

To use, you just drop a soft disk into the shallow circle, and set the bullet base in the center. The shallow circle holds the soft disk in place while you're trying to line everything up. As you size the bullet, the disk will swage into the base, kinda like putting a cupcake sleeve in the cu0pcake pan. I never tried it, but it looked pretty slick in the article photos. Also, I don't recall the article mentioning it, but while cutting the shallow circle, be sure you don't leave a sharp edge on the sizing die. All you have to do is finish up the edge of the sizer ID with a fine file, and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Molly; 06-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Im gonna try to find it. Thank u

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter01 View Post
    Im gonna try to find it. Thank u
    If you find it, how about posting for everyone? I didn't have any interest at the time, but have several guns that might benefit from it now.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson