Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: 30G New Stevens Favorite

30G New Stevens Favorite

Does anyone have one of these trim little single shots? Whats the accuracy like with ammo it likes?

Thanks,Tim
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/30G
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I've got one I love. It's my favorite leaves off squirrel gun. I can cut wasps in two at 15 yards and have several groups at 50 yards in the sub 1/2". Mine loves CCI Minimag HP's for hunting and does well with Federal lightnings for plinking. I do use some shorts, but got tired of cleaning the ring from the front of the chamber, so I made a second single shot my dedicated short shooter. hehe.

Boolit Mold
    I got one when they first remade them.Great gun and as accurate as heck.In fact, I plink at a long range target and rarely miss at 100, 120, etc, except when real windy.Okla. is not known for no wind but we shoot those targets almost every afternoon.The gun is as accurate as any of my more expensive 22's.

Thanks, Sounds like they shoot pretty decently. I havent handled one in person yet but would it be easy work to install a tang sight on one?

Thanks,Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Sorry about the image quality of this picture, but I thought I'd post one of the top view of the receiver. There is a smooth area behind the hammer that's about 1.25" long. This could be used to mount a tang style sight. For the shooting I do, I've never thought it'd be a necessity as range is never over 100 yards for me and is typically 25-50 with the .22 LR. I have seen a couple with receiver mounted peeps that would be a more practical and less cumbersome sight to me.

By my measurements, the Marlin/Ballard style would need to have about 1/16" shaved off the front and rear to fit. There may be some shorter bases, but this was shortest I saw after looking a couple places.

http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/SIT11...&categoryid=67

I'm thinking I'd like something more like this on barrel though.

http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html

Boolit Master
    I had one and it was a disapointment accuracy wise. The barrel tenon was ~0.005" undersize from where it mates to the frame. I took the barrel off, knurled the tenon to tighten up the fit, and also cut the barrel back a few inches and put on a target crown. Accuracy improved, but it was still at best a 1" at 25 yds gun and more like 1 1/2" at that range.

It's a fun little plinker and I'd always wanted a falling block 22rf, but I've been sufficiently spoiled by accurate 22 rf's, so sold it.