RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 500 jrh

Boolit Master

Get one. You'll like it if you can handle it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Before you showed what? Two posts ago you asked if the BFR takes the large rim and I told you they do. I have known this from before I took delivery of mine as I asked Magnum Research (and Jack told me that was the case). No, a custom .500 JRH from Jack Huntington will get the small rim as the cartridge spec calls for unless the customer specifies. What custom makers do you speak of? I know Clements builds them but he calls 'em .500 Smith & Wesson 1.4-inch case or something to that effect. Why would Jack Huntington be raked over the coals by Freedom Arms?? Sorry, I don't follow.
    Did Jack do all the design and work to have Freedom go to other calibers instead?
    More goes on behind the scenes then the average shooter knows about.
    What two posts ago about the S&W and JRH rims? This was my very first answer to the question. I really did not know about the BFR rim size so I checked. You have nothing from me different. Parent case but not rim size.

Boolit Master

I think what Whit is getting at is that he answered me before I got my .500JRH about the rim sizes....

The S&W rim will definitely fit the BFR - I have both kinds of brass I'm playing with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    The rim is .010" smaller but I am not sure if the S&W rim will fit the BFR.
    OK. I found a .500 S&W case, cut it down and it fits the BFR, JRH perfect, spins free.
    So you CAN cut S&W brass down for your BFR. Smart gun maker!
    You were unsure in this post -- that is what I was refering to.
    Semper Fidelis

Boolit Master
    Did Jack do all the design and work to have Freedom go to other calibers instead?
    More goes on behind the scenes then the average shooter knows about.
    Freedom decided not to chamber revolvers in that particular caliber.
    Semper Fidelis

Banned

You were unsure in this post -- that is what I was refering to.
    Simple, I went and found out, didn't I? I was able to do find out in the end.

Banned

Freedom decided not to chamber revolvers in that particular caliber.
    I ask why. Did the work Jack did require payment that Freedom refused? He is your friend, get the facts or I will.

Boolit Mold
    White eagle it seems to be a great round. I just recently acquired a custom and like other rounds it can be mild to wild. It doesn't have to have a case full of 110 or 296 to be accurate or take animals. Just messing around with 440s at 950,350s in the 1400+ range, 390s, and 440s at 1350 all were hunting accurate. I'm going to guess my primary load will be in the 1000-1100fps range and I'll keep some 1350s around for really big stuff that needs pixie dust ammo(buffalo,big six,grizzlies etc.) If ya get a chance pick you up one and enjoy

Boolit Master
    Simple, I went and found out, didn't I? I was able to do find out in the end.

Jeez, what are you getting defensive about. I come in peace, man.
    Semper Fidelis

Boolit Master
    I ask why. Did the work Jack did require payment that Freedom refused? He is your friend, get the facts or I will.
    What in God's name are you talking about, Jim? They decided not to go with the .500 JRH, nothing more, nothing less. Get the facts or you will? From whom? What difference does it make why? There's no secret, no conspiracy. Freedom decided to do their own thing.
    Last edited by Whitworth; 05-21-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Semper Fidelis

Boolit Grand Master
    wow !!
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    wow !!

Exactly

Boolit Master
    You, go girl!!!

we're having fun and learning so much. This what we talked about Whitworth

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
    Get one. You'll like it if you can handle it.
    I'm guessing I could manage the recoil. I have a similar revolver in 500 S&W and a thompson bbl w/o porting in 45-70. To tell you the truth the T/C beats me up way more than the 500 SW.

Recent health issues in my household have inhibited my disposable income that is usually budgeted for such things. $240 for a cylinder ain't gonna happen this month, or probably next for that matter. I do enjoy reading about y'all that do have such things, will have one in the future.....just not the really near future.

Ebner

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken View Post
    I'm guessing I could manage the recoil. I have a similar revolver in 500 S&W and a thompson bbl w/o porting in 45-70. To tell you the truth the T/C beats me up way more than the 500 SW.

Recent health issues in my household have inhibited my disposable income that is usually budgeted for such things. $240 for a cylinder ain't gonna happen this month, or probably next for that matter. I do enjoy reading about y'all that do have such things, will have one in the future.....just not the really near future.

Ebner
    Yes, a TC will eat you up. I sold all of mine.
    But nobody answered why Freedom will not chamber the JRH after the round was designed for it.

Boolit Master
    Yes, a TC will eat you up. I sold all of mine.
    But nobody answered why Freedom will not chamber the JRH after the round was designed for it.
    Again, they chose not to. Here is the number (307) 883-2468. Call them and ask for Bob Baker, and then ask him why he chose not to use it. He was under no obligation -- monetarily or otherwise -- to chamber his products in that particular cartridge, and he chose not to. Seems like you would like there to be some controversy where there isn't any. Also, it was designed to fit in the Model 83 -- it was not designed for Freedom Arms -- you need to draw that distinction.
    Last edited by Whitworth; 05-22-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Semper Fidelis

Boolit Master
    Jack has long had a history of modifying FA's. He converted mdl 83 454's to 475 linebaugh before the factory offered the 475 chambering. Then he went on to develop other rounds.

FA decided not to offer the JRH as a business decision. Often work and designs that make sense for a custom gunsmith are not the same designs gun manufacturers choose.

Boolit Master
    paul h is spot on here.

Boolit Buddy
    For what it is worth, S&W rims fit the recessed chambers of my Jack built JRH as well.

Aaron

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast