Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Modifying 22lr bullet

Modifying 22lr bullet

Hi to all,

Is there a way, or is it possible to remove a 22lr slug and modify the powder charge?

I have an Anschutz 1451KV 22rifle that have a silencer, but all I can find is HV 22 rounds, no subsonic that is round nose. All subsonic in the gunstore were HP's.

So I am thinking if there's a way to remove the slug, (using a RCBS bullet puller) and remove some powder to make it subsonic.

Problem that I face right now is that I don't have a shellholder for the 22lr. Don't know if the 22die in the RCBS bullet puller will work. I've tried to pull out some lead bullets on pistol rounds but cannot do it.

Any ideas to share?

Boolit Buddy
    Impact bullet puller on a rimfire cartridge sounds like a good way to visit the ER.

Where do you live? We sell round nose subs all day, everyday at the gunshop in which I work. CCI "Quiet 22" is a good one, I'll get you a part number off you'd like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Boolit Master

Talking

99% of all Match 22lr is subsonic. Between 1030fps - 1080fps.

Boolit Master
    I think you'll find that you'll end up damaging the bullet when pulling it, and will have trouble producing a consistant crimp when reseating it.

Personally I'd live with the std velocity hp's, or consider getting a flat pointing tool to turn the hp bullets into flatpoint bullet. You'll end up with a tiny hp, and a loose a couple grains of bullet weight, ~36gr after starting with a 40gr. I don't think the lighter bullet will go supersonic, but it might.

There's some target shooters over here that pull the bullet, change the powder charge, then breech-seat a boolit in the rifle. Note that I said a boolit. As far as I can find, they use their own boolits, swaged without the reduced-diameter shank or "heel" that standard rounds have. Very accurate, but only suitable for slow fire. (Very slow fire.)

Re-installing the pulled bullet and getting the crimp uniform will be all but impossible without fabricating some very precise tooling. And re-using the pulled bullet might well require reswaging it to remedy damage from the pulling operation.

Commercial subsonic ammo would be best by far, but the O.P. being in the Philippines may make finding any difficult.

If he can't find any to buy, I hope that he has, or has access to, a serious machine shop.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by taminsong View Post
    Hi to all,
    All subsonic in the gunstore were HP's.
    I am curious why the subsonic HP’s won’t work? You could fill the subsonic HP’s with epoxy so it doesn’t open up. If you are looking to increase accuracy you could try something like this. http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurzr.html

Thanks for all the replies.

My main reason why I don't need the HP is that it destroy a lot of meat on wild doves that I hunt here. I don't use a shotgun, just a 22. Subsonic solids makes a clean hole on the target, with less noise. So you can fire 2 or 3 shots more before the birds takes off!

The epoxy I think is a good one, maybe I get the CCI subsonic HP and do some tests.

Maybe look into trying to fill the HP with epoxy and resight rifle withthe slightly heavier bullet. I'm sure you could epoxy up the HP and make a tool that rounds it off quickly and evenly.
    I had alot of HP 22 ammo way back and it fed like dung in a 22 mossberg semi I had. I took sevseral lead shot from a 12GA birdshot round and plugged up the HP quite nicely. I even filled with wax and seated a lead pellet in the tip and rolled the lead tip a wee bit to hold the lead pellet in place and that cheap mossberg ate them up no problem after that.
    See if you can find some CCI .22 Long ( Not Long rifle ) as it's solid nosed and subsonic.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Yeah, that sounds a good idea. Will try it.

Boolit Master
    here there are a number of sub sonic options , cci standard velocity , cci low noise, Remington makes a target ammo as does federal , Remington makes a CBee short, and a CBee long but they are hollow points but really don't tear up meat to bad i shot s squirrel the other day with a Cbee long from a pistol from a few inches away the hole was about the same all the way thru maybe .30 inches and not any real bruising to speak of

i think you will find with most of the sub sonic stuff it isn't going fast enough to actually open the hollow point much if at all , but people think it will work better because it is a hollow point

I've tried using some subsonic HP's on wild doves but the hole it creates doesn't looks nice so I stayed away from it.

I've tried once, an Eley Tenex subsonic in solid and it was the best bullet that I've ever used. Since then been looking for it but never got a chance to found one!
    Last edited by taminsong; 05-30-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Here's an alternative to epoxy

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco-Flatface.htm

No more hollowpoint

Maybe set up a bunch at a time and fill the points with super glue?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    All commercial 22LR rounds have heeled bullets and the alloy is soft. Take the bullet out with a puller or pliers, the heel will be squeezed. Then when down loaded, need to be crimped again otherwise the bullet falls out. CH4D has a 22LR crimping die. But how well it will work with the bullet heel mucked up - ?
    Normal diameter of the heel is 223

PS: I reload 22LR's with black powder using a custom mold or the Lyman 225438 with empty primed cases
    Last edited by John Boy; 06-02-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Normal diameter of the heel is 223
    I pulled quite a few factory rounds apart when I was evaluating weight variation. All those bullets have heels about .198" diameter. Body diameter ranges from .223 to .225 or even .226, depending on the maker, the lot #, and who knows what-all else.

If the O.P. cannot buy solid point subsonic, then swaging is a good choice. In my experience it will probably improve accuracy, too, if the swaging tool is the right diameter.

I think the one shown in Post t#12 may be a bit overdone, though. But the proof is in the shooting.

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

Been back from hunting wild doves in the forest. I carried a CCI subsonic HP with the hollowpoints being filled with epoxy. And Remington Target which is noisy.

The HP with epoxy didn't work well, it destroys a lot of meat, sometimes will take all the guts! HP's were really destructive and I was thinking that the epoxy was aiding the HP to expand well, but not really sure about it.

Changed to Remington, though noisy, but saved good meat!

Those birds were delicious, very nice when broiled. Last night, a couple of friends have a good time with it!

"If the O.P. cannot buy solid point subsonic, then swaging is a good choice. In my experience it will probably improve accuracy, too, if the swaging tool is the right diameter."

Do you think if I have a 224 swaging dies, will it work? I don't have a 22LR shell holder.

No, it's a specific impact tool for 22 RF ammo
    http://www.pacotools.com/

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Scorpn.htm
    http://www.gunblast.com/Paco-Flatface.htm

making of a wadcutter 22LR