Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
PBcastcoReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 6 Cavity Handle interchange/Use list

Boolit Mold
    Thanks from U.K. Buckshot, Ive just bought a 2nd hand rcbs 35-200-FN... oooh! for £30 and can now get a new lee handle (£13) + modify it to fit. Cheaper than the rcbs handle at £40!
    Great resource by the way..... moorman
    PS I love my marlin
    Edit update; result! I was offered 2nd hand RCBS handles for £9..............said yes. Its a nice mould and a big bullet!
    Last edited by moorman; 08-23-2013 at 06:23 PM.

tagged for later

Newbie question/comment: I take it that once you alter a Lee 6-cavity handle to fit a RCBS 2 cavity mould, you can't use it with the LEE mould again, since it's got to be thinned down?

I just rec'd the 45-270-SAA RCBS mould but my 6 cavity lee Handles are way too thick to fit the RCBS slots...

Get a new Lee set of handles, thin them and dedicate to the RCBS mould?

Boolit Mold
    Did not find Hardline industries mentioned here, but Hardlines molds also fits on Lee 6 cavity handles without modifications

Boolit Master
    I've been using Lee handles on LBT 4-cavity moulds for awhile. The Lee handles need to be thinned slightly so that the blocks are a little loose so as to prevent "cocking" of the blocks when closing.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Today I customized a new set of Lee 6-cav handles to fit a new Lachmiller mold that I got (357-162 S.W.) It's a nice mold and I'm pretty excited about it, but I won't be making any more custom handles! I'll order mine already thinned for the next one. I have been scraping on this thing for at least two hours with my little 12" file and finally got it drawn down from the factory thickness of .311" to a useable .255" and now it will fit the mold.
    Here's the mold with the new handles:

And a pic of the mold, just because I like it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I'm wondering about the screws to attach the Lee handles to the mold. I don't see where anyone addresses that directly. Different size hole for some molds is mentioned but I am wondering about where one gets the screws appropriate to that mold?

Ordering a Lee 6 cavity handle for a Lyman 2 cavity mold. Wondering if I should also be ordering these screws. http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-sc...er_name=SC1164 Sort of had the same question when ordering a Lee 6 cavity mold too.

So do the molds have mounting screws? Or is that with the handles? I'm guessing it is the mold.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    So do the molds have mounting screws? Or is that with the handles? I'm guessing it is the mold.
    All new mould's come with the screws to mount the blocks to the handles. However; not all mounting screws are the same size and vary from one manufacturer to the other.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    All new mould's come with the screws to mount the blocks to the handles. However; not all mounting screws are the same size and vary from one manufacturer to the other.

RRR
    Sounds like from your answer that the Lee screws I linked to will NOT fit the Lyman mold.

So with a used mold if it does not have screws where does one get them from?
    Places that sell that brand mold titan, midsouth, midway etc.? Or are they pretty much standard so you can pick them up at the hardware store? The one from Lee did not look like a normal screw but some "rebuild" kits I have seen for molds look like they have stock size & type of screws.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I don't see H&G molds listed in this thread anywhere. Will these handles work with H&G molds?
    I am going to try to buy a set of H&G mold blocks in the near future that don't have handles and could use the information.

Boolit Buddy
    Great post....alot of info here!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I don't see H&G molds listed in this thread anywhere. Will these handles work with H&G molds?
    I am going to try to buy a set of H&G mold blocks in the near future that don't have handles and could use the information.
    I don't think Lee will work.
    Maybe they can be modified???
    But you can buy handles that fit from Ballista-cast
    http://www.ballisti-cast.com/?page_id=106
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I don't think Lee will work.
    Maybe they can be modified???
    But you can buy handles that fit from Ballista-cast
    http://www.ballisti-cast.com/?page_id=106
    I've found the LEE handles to be very weak cheese. I routinely put a screw-type hose clamp around the end of the handle the jaws enter, for strength.

I've also used FILE HANDLES of wood as replacements for many molds. They are not expensive and can be found at any decent hardware store. They have a steel reinforcing ring around the mouth, and are stout, stout, stout.

Boolit Master
    Gentlemen,

Visit RedRiverRick's site. Rick manufactures various type handles that will put to rest your fiddling with Lee powdered iron handles.

Then there's Rick's Lee type sprue plate arrangement engineered for Lyman 4xcavity moulds......

Y.T.,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Bought one and I had to grind down the thickness to fit a Lyman 2 cavity mold. Works great now.

Newbie here ... This is a very handy post to keep and refer to. I am in the process of deciding which mold to buy, however, I never considered the handles other than using the manufacturers handles and limiting my mold purchase to only one mold/handle combination manufacturer. Now I can buy a couple of pairs of handles and several molds that fit my handles. Never having held a mold in my hands or actually watched the prep getting ready to use the mold I take it the hole is for a screw, is it the same screw as the one holding the sprue plate on? When you're using three or more molds isn't it better to have the handles already attached to molds you plan to use or is it as effective to switch molds and handles while the lead is hot?

Boolit Master
    There is usually 2 screws in the bottom of the mold blocks to hold the handles . And I wouldn't want to change the handles to a different mold in the same casting season . Might be better off starting out with concentrating on casting with one mold at a time , to get the feeling of how the mold works best anyway . It is much better to have the handles on the blocks all the time if you can.
    Last edited by toallmy; 03-25-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Most molds have separate handle mounting screws...with that said, the Saeco molds I have, use the sprue plate screw as a handle mounting screw, I'm not sure if that's the case with all Saeco molds?

+1 toallmy...I wouldn't want to swap handles during a casting session. I've never cast with two molds simultaneously, but many of my casting sessions include more than one mold. I preheat a mold on a hotplate before casting. So I'll put a second mold on the hotplate about 20 minutes before I figure I'll be done casting with the first mold.

bboque1, I mention preheating a mold on a hotplate, because that was the one BIG thing I learned as a newbie that greatly improved my casting sessions...making casting much more enjoyable, as well as, more successful.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1619203
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

here is a mold that no one has talked about Magma molds I put a set of lee handles on a Magma mold 6 or 7 years ago I had to mod. the handles some to get to work can't think of exactly what I did but I did something and I have cast a lot of bullets with it that way D Crockett

Boolit Master

The T/C handles are a great fit on the old LYMAN small block single cavity molds, they will also work on OHAUS single cavity molds, as will the LYMAN single cavity handles. I think they are a bit better because the wood handles are longer.

I've modified (thinned) a set of RCBS handles & a set of LEE 6cav handles to work with LACHMILLER molds. I've got enough handles to go around so I don't hafta worry about dedicating one set of handles to one mold.

Not one of the 4 sets of LEE handles I have will come close to fitting small block LYMAN/OHAUS molds
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast