Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 6 Cavity Handle interchange/Use list

Super Moderator

Lee 6 Cavity Handle interchange/Use list

Original post made by "462"

Recently, I’ve noticed that the “What handles fit which moulds?” or “What moulds do Lee six-cavity handles fit?” type of questions are starting to make their seemingly quarterly appearances. In order to eliminate as many future questions as possible, the following are my experiences with Lee six-cavity handles, the moulds that they will fit, and any required modifications:

MOULDS REQUIRING NO MODIFICATIONS TO USE:

Lyman one and two-cavity moulds.

Lee 6 cavity moulds.

Ranchdog moulds.

NOE moulds

Accurate moulds

MP moulds

"Big Lube" Moulds

MOULDS REQUIREING MODIFICATIONS FOR LEE HANDLES

Lyman four-cavity mould: Modifications required by grinding/filing handles to a thickness of .249” and enlarging the holes to 7/32“. *

RCBS two-cavity mould: Modification required by grinding/filing handles to a thickness of .298”. No hole modification is required. *

* Measurements are those that work with my moulds and are given as guidelines and references only. Your mileage may vary.

Side Note 1: It has been mentioned that Lee six-cavity handles will fit the following moulds. I don’t know if modifications are required, or not.

SAECO
    NEI

If this becomes a sticky, I would like to thank Geargnasher for the prod, and Buckshot for the assistance.

Michael

If anyone has definative info on the 6 moulds listed above, please PM me and I will add it to this post
    Last edited by Buckshot; 07-04-2012 at 01:50 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Thanks Buckshot and 462, this question comes up a lot.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Herters, single cavity molds work, but need the holes enlarged a bit. Can't remember the size drill bit I used.

The mold in question was their 45300. (45 cal, 300gr)
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Boolit Master
    Mountain Molds use the Lee handles with no modification.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

You might also want to add that the BigLube moulds Also fit on Lee handles.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    You might also want to add that the BigLube moulds Also fit on Lee handles.
    Got it.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    Does anyone know if they will work on the old Cramer/Saeco two cavity molds?

Boolit Master

They do work on the lyman 1 cav but most times it needs filed on the inside face. to make a beveled face. I have had some Lees that will work and some that require some TLC.

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Works on CBE

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    Does anyone know if they will work on the old Cramer/Saeco two cavity molds?
    I over sized the holes in the handles with a larger drill bit to accept the larger screws on the Cramer molds and Lee handles worked fine.

I have used Accurate and Ohaus molds on Lee handles with no modifications.

Work without modifications on a Nei .451-345-PB (#320B) with four cavities. I don't know the age of this mold, bought it used.

Boolit Master
    Work on the New Balista Cast moulds too
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Thanks for the heads-up. I have both Lee and Lyman molds...

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a list that the lee handles fit from track of the wolf site.
    Bernie.

View 1 Handles, for bullet mold, LEE Commercial mold handles, fit Lyman, RCBS and similar mold blocks, and also LEE multi-cavity molds.

Notice the geometry of the inner jaws, at the mounting screw holes. The slight angle allows both large and small Lyman molds to align perfectly. Considering the low cost, long length for leverage, and cool comfortable operation, you can dedicate a set of these handles to every mold, very convenient.

Precision made by Lee, use these mold handles on these mold blocks:

LEE 6 Cavity Mold Blocks (with the clever compound leverage sprue cutter handle), our favorite!

LYMAN large mold blocks, sometimes called "double cavity" blocks, a perfect fit.

LYMAN small mold blocks, sometimes called "single cavity" blocks, a perfect fit. Lyman no longer makes small mold blocks, so this may be the only choice for your older molds.

PEDERSOLI molds appear to be identical to Lyman. They fit well.

PALMETTO (Italy) molds appear to be identical to Lyman. These fit well, and we use ours frequently.

THOMPSON CENTER mold blocks are the same size as the small Lyman blocks, except they are anodized alumunum, and fit well.

OHAUS mold blocks are the same size as the small Lyman blocks, and fit well.

GREEN MOUNTAIN mold blocks are the same size as the small Lyman blocks, and fit well.

SHILOH molds appear to be similar to Lyman, and should fit well. We have not tested these.

RCBS mold blocks are a bit larger than large Lyman blocks, but these handles can be made to fit well. Some RCBS blocks have slots that are "too tight" for these handles, but generally the fit well.

STEVE BROOKS molds appear to be about the same size as RCBS blocks, and may fit well.

PAUL JONES mold blocks appear to be nearly identical to RCBS mold blocks, and may fit well.

NEI mold blocks are made in one, two, three cavity, and perhaps other sizes. These fit quite well.

SAECO molds are similar to RCBS, except the mounting screws require a .008" larger hole than LEE provides. We simply enlarge the two .179" holes to .187", using a common 3/16" drill bit. They work perfectly after enlarging the screw holes in these handles.

HOCH molds are unique nose pour molds, with upper and lower sprue plates. We have not attempted to mount these handles on HOCH molds by David Farmer, since they always come with handles mounted?

HINTS: a small wide rubber band, slipped over the wooden grips, will "self close" the mold during cool down. We keep a supply of these rubber bands at hand. They last a few weeks, and are very convenient.

After a few weeks of hard use, the hot steel frame will cause the wooden handles to loosen. If you allow the nickel plated steel end cap to slip forward, you may crack the wood. If this happens, reassemble the wooden parts with Elmer's Carpenter's Glue, and they will work as good as new.

This decorative bezel is made to surround and support the end grain of the wooden grips, and prevent charring in case of excess heat. It must be retained in the correct position.

To permanently solve this problem, we drill a 1/16" hole through the rear center of each end cap and the wood, and the steel frame. We tap in a 1/16" paneling nail (sold at home improvement and lumber stores, panel nails are colored to match the paneling, and the steel is tempered). Grind or snip away the sharp tip that protrudes at the bottom, and you need never be concerned about a loose wooden handle, ever again!

SEND YOUR SUGGESTIONS: If you know of other brands of molds that will or will not fit, or handy tips for using these handles, send your suggestions and comments.
    Last edited by windwalker; 12-13-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Any pics of what fixing the end caps on the handles looks like?

Boolit Bub
    I had no idea they would work with Lyman. Learn something new every day.

Will TC bullet mold handles fit anything else?

Boolit Buddy
    Hey thank you. Very useful.
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to add that these handles work on the buffalo arms semi-custom molds if you drill the holes out to 3/16".

-matt

are the Lee 2 cav handles different than the 6 cav handles?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast