Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Specs for Lyman Mold #266673?

Boolit Mold

Specs for Lyman Mold #266673?

This looks like a mold I want to try but couldn't find any specs in it. Anyone know anything about it? I emailed Lyman and they gave me some **** "we can't give out that proprietary information". Hmmm, someone better tell that to Lee, Accurate, NOE, etc who all do list their molds' specs so people can decide which mold is right for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had some samples of both Lyman #266673 and #266469 to use as test media for my commercial 6.5 x 55 (Ruger 77R). My rifle has EXQUISITE dimensions--6 rights, 1-9" twist, throat is .2645", bore/groove is .256"/.264". "673" has a long bore-rider section that needs to fit your land tops for best accuracy. In my barrel, it scuffed the lands slightly--sort of a draggy slip-fit. Both bullets unsized were .266"+ a couple tenths, and were sized to a true .265" I ran it at 1500, 1600, and 1700 FPS, at 50, 100, and 200 yards--same deal for the "469". All speeds, all ranges--the "469" shot tighter groups than the "673". Not a huge margin, about 10%-12% smaller--but it was a consistent trend. Those Loverins (the "469") have a strong following for good reasons. That's in my rifle--with ideal dimensions. Most 6.5mm barrels have 1-8" twists, that might make a positive difference with a long bullet like "673". I did have some time-in-grade with a 25 caliber 1-8" twist barrel, and castings had a HARD speed limit of about 1600-1650 FPS before they "Went shotgun".

FWIW.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

#266673 is a 6.5/.264 caliber , 150 grain , gas check , round nose-flat point with two lube grooves and a crimp groove . Have found some data showing its use in: 260 Remington , 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser , 6.5 X 54 Mannlicher-Schoenaur, 6.5 Italian and 6.5 Japanese .

www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm will bring you to a site that has a Lyman Ideal Bullet Mold Tables ...it's a chart of the designs with picture/drawing and description of the boolit/mould.
    You can print one from a PDF , look at the title on the chart ," Lyman and Ideal Bullet Molds" , just below the title it says , in tiny letters , "click here for a PDF of this chart" do it and print one.
    Welcome to the site from Louisiana !

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-30-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

A little added information may help. I scaled the dimension from the drawing on the Three Peaks website and used the Precision Cast Bullet Design software to produce the sketches and images.

9.3X62AL, or anyone, if the dimensions are different from the dimensions cast from your mold, please respond with some values and I can easily re-enter the data and update the drawings.

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman  266673.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	240749__________________Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman_266673.Jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	240757

Click image for a larger version

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman_266673_148_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	240759
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers