WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Carcano bbl swap

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Carcano bbl swap

I've seen several threads about making a Savage like bbl nut and bushing for the Carcanos . I simply don't have the tools nor access to such to build such a part. I've a 6.5 bbl but its been cut to just barely legal and has chamber damage , end result 6.5x55 would save it but I don't want to screw up the bolt face . Not wild about rebating cases either. Next option take off bbls I have a couple that would readily turn down and rechamber to things like a 7-30 Waters AI rimless or 32 /35 Rem,7 or 8x39 or even a necked 357 max (like a 256 win but longer). Also there is potential for something up to 44 cal . Since I'm casting every gun I've got wild cats are not a big deal if I can do them on a simple base ig. Neck size a 35 Rem in 7mm 08 resize in the Rem die go shoot. Or use a deGlocking die on 35 Rem brass for rimless Waters or 32 Win spcl..

Ok that's enough out loud thinking. Would someone be intrested in doing the machine work ? I do understand the liablity risk and as such do not expect to have a lot of offers jumping on here.

After looking at the above maybe turning a few rims isn't such a bad idea . Reamers for a 6.5-55? 6.5-55 rebated rim Carcano. There's a possiblity. Along w/a set back for a 260 RR Rem.

Inputs ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Have you looked at the 6.5X54MS?

The bolt face will work with them.

Brass available here http://www.grafs.com/catalog/product...12644/inline/1
    Last edited by DCM; 05-20-2012 at 12:38 AM.

I was really holding out for semi common brass.

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Harter66
    > ]I've seen several threads about making a Savage like bbl nut and bushing
    > for the Carcanos. ... Inputs?

Once upon a time, I rebarreled a Carcano for .357 Mag. Cut the original barrel off and drilled it through to put a Numrich barrel in place, soldered the whole thing together. I had to bend the ctg lifter a little to make it feed right, but it was a sweet little toy when I was done. It fed, fired and ejected just fine. Didn't have to even touch the bolt face either. I finally sold it to a guy with young eyes for the iron sights, because it wasn't well suited for scoping.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    i've done several carcano re-barrels. thread diameter and pitch is large and odd so few bbls will fit or re-thread to.

35 rem from a 336 by means you don't want to know. 7.62X39 as detailed in an earlier thread i posted about this. 30-30 would work, converting to a mag from a savage pump gun or such. 375 winchester (38-55) could be done same way.

This is a good solution to rebarreling a Carcano:

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
    This is a good solution to rebarreling a Carcano:

Yeah, that's almost exactly what I did when converting my Carcano to .357 Mag, except I didn't have a lathe at the time, so I just soldered the parts together. Today, I'd probably use a two-part epoxy. It worked fine though.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

That is exactly what I had in mind . I can accurately turn and thread the take-off bbls but I don't have the means to turn the nut/bushing.

Boolit Grand Master

Shoot me a PM, maybe I can help. How can you have the ability to turn the barrels but not the nut?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    The only stupid question...

The barrel nut in the picture is just a sleeve/adapter that's screwed onto the barrel shank?
    Cut the old Carcano barrel off where it narrows down, bore it out and thread it using a 60-degree single point cutter on a boring bar?

The hole in the sleeve/collar is a through hole or is there a shoulder that the barrel shank butts up against? I would think it would have to be a through hole, or you would have a seam in the chamber where the collar/sleeve and barrel meet.

No shoulder on the (new) barrel itself, but I guess it doesn't matter?
    Maybe use some green Loc-Tite to hold the sleeve to the barrel?
    Once the sleeve is secured to the barrel, screw the barrel with collar into the receiver, chamber and headspace?

I noticed that in the picture there is a flat on the barrel nut.
    Maybe cut the flats on a mill... I was thinking an octagon...on some sort of indexing set up? If not then two flats cut opposite each other with the barrel held in v-blocks?

Just thinking out loud, but if anybody can educate me a little I would appreciate it.

Boolit Master

6.5X54 is available at either Midway or the other guys just down the road (I hate having CRS)
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by John 242 View Post
    The only stupid question...

The barrel nut in the picture is just a sleeve/adapter that's screwed onto the barrel shank?
    Cut the old Carcano barrel off where it narrows down, bore it out and thread it using a 60-degree single point cutter on a boring bar?

The hole in the sleeve/collar is a through hole or is there a shoulder that the barrel shank butts up against? I would think it would have to be a through hole, or you would have a seam in the chamber where the collar/sleeve and barrel meet.

No shoulder on the (new) barrel itself, but I guess it doesn't matter?
    Maybe use some green Loc-Tite to hold the sleeve to the barrel?
    Once the sleeve is secured to the barrel, screw the barrel with collar into the receiver, chamber and headspace?

I noticed that in the picture there is a flat on the barrel nut.
    Maybe cut the flats on a mill... I was thinking an octagon...on some sort of indexing set up? If not then two flats cut opposite each other with the barrel held in v-blocks?

Just thinking out loud, but if anybody can educate me a little I would appreciate it.

Left to Right:

1 - the "New Barrel", chambered and threaded

2 - a "Barrel Stub", made from the original barrel, cut off, drilled out and tapped to the same thread as on the "New Barrel"

3 - the Carcano Receiver

You screw the Barrel Stub in tight, then screw in the barrel into the stub with headspace gauge (or sized brass) inserted to the chamber and bolt closed until it's "tight". Insert setscrew and you're done. Much like as is done with modern Savage rifles.