Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee Die Stretcher or (how I dealt with it on non-lee press)

Boolit Master

Lee Die Stretcher or (how I dealt with it on non-lee press)

I know it's been posted that the current Lee reloading dies are longer these days but not the bullet sizers as I have found out. The past solution was to put the lock nut on the bottom and in my case with the die reducing bushing was also to invert the die ring. Not pretty but worked or screw die all the way done foregoing the lock ring but ran into issues with ram travel considerably shortened. (I know, nothing says it has to have complete ram travel, just personal thing with me.)

I called Dave at CH4D.com and had his 3/4" ram extension/shell holder drilled through to allow primer drop and it works well!

It cost me $22.75 for the extension. Now any shellholder and the bullet stem pusher (for lack of better words describing it) works very well! I, being anal retentive, now have full ram travel, die does not wiggle, and it just snaps in and out with ease!

I talked to Ben at Hornady and their tool is approximately 1-1/2" long but it is hard to get them to drill through for primer disposal. I may buy one and take it to a machine shop but the 3/4" is working perfectly with my very old Lee decapping die.

You will notice where the lock ring is on the decapper, about halfway up the die body and perfect with the extension.

Side note: It's really not an issue especially on my 550 as toolheads are swapped in and out. Just a problem on my single stage and reaching up to the die to put the lock ring on the bottom is annoying. It may not be for everyone but it works for me and makes me happy.

take care,

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Brilliant

Boolit Master
    Thank you edsmith. I just learned from two people on another list the Hornady unit is also drilled through for primer disposal. It is 1-1/2" long albeit too long for my current application but you never know!

take care,

r1kk1