MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: NRC National Rifle Club Matches

Boolit Master

NRC National Rifle Club Matches

The 2012 NRC "National Rifle Club Matches" will be in Cody Wyoming the end of this month. Practice day is May 30th, Matches start May 31st this year.

Intrepid Paper Patch shooters using BP should think of attending the match and Shoot the Medal Match in Traditional Class. Slug gun events and 22 Bench Rest, along with Picket Rifle matches and Vintage Rifle Match (originals). Please consider attending and trying your hand.

Paper Does not lie.

KW
    The Lunger

Slug Gunning!

Kenny

I've been WAITING for you to expound upon your venture into the world of SLUG GUN....but you have been STINGY with your findings there boy!! Would like to see you give us what that dude you've got will do!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    Rick very few folks on here seem to be interested in any kind of real accuracy. Slug guns mine and Jimbo's when fed right seem to run 3/4 to 1 MOA pretty easy, They are a time consuming effort though to clean and reload after each shot. Certain amount of steps to follow Cross patching paper, Casting, hammer swaging bullets. Alloys we are using are 1-60 (myself) Jimbo has went to 1-40 quite hard compared to the norm we are told we are doing it wrong yet we seem to do quiet well, I Shot well at Phoenix till middle of the first day then got the flu. Ispent 2 days in bed Jimbo spent the next 2 days kicking *** and taking the gold in all 3 events Plus the Agg, As sick as I was I never got out of bed except to the bathroom. Jimbo came down with the day after the Slug Gun events, spent 2.5 days in bed even sicker then I was.

The slug guns are a hoot and lot of fun, take a lot of time to get right,

My best group to date, at 200 yards is .850 tall, and .980 Wide sub 1/2 MOA. That was shot with my 40 cal Bresine on a calm evening just before sundown. I have a 45 too, yet to get it scoped up to my satisifcation. I want a Unertal Programer. Like Jimbo's.

KW
    The Lunger

Real Accuracy!

Kenny

"They are a time consuming effort though to clean and reload after each shot."

You boys hang on to those rifles! Basically they're OLD MEN RIFLES from the get go! So in a few years you'll get tired of running the roads and fightin the 'mob'....and it'll be quiet and peaceful at your latter years shooting site! And you'll probably be enjoying yourselves more then....than now! I've always wanted to delve into the world of slug gun but finding the damn things seemed to always be a major chore....before the age of the internet!

Thanks for the report and hope you're doing well! Hang in there!

Oh....here's accuracy:

Ten shots 1200 yards.

Untitled by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
    Last edited by RMulhern; 05-21-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Added info!

Boolit Master

Which rifle, Rick ?
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Man

slug guns

I'm one of the old guys, that's why Jimbo and Kenny W. Have my slug guns now. My thing now is a CPA 32-40 breech seater. JerryW

There is an advantage shooting a slug gun over the cartridge breach loader.
    A lot of variables are eliminated not using a cartridge case variances and wads and some sort of compression you dont use with a front stuffer slug gun.
    I shot a lot of over the log round ball matches and the accuracy is outstanding. Granted we dont shoot past 200 yards with the round ball loads and 90% only to 100 yds but all in all a cartridge load by average is not what the round ball load is. The round ball at 50 yards will drive more nails through a board then that get missed.
    There is no reason the slug guns should not out shoot the cartridge rifles at the extended ranges of 800 to 1000 yards if care is taken seating the bullet.
    I have the parts and barrel for building a slug gun but there is no activity near for me to get enthused in finishing the rifle.

Ten Shots!

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 mike View Post
    Which rifle, Rick ?
    6.5 Mike

Excuse me! That was 1200 yds....with my nearest thing to a slug rifle!

RicksTacRifle by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Boolit Master
    That ain't bad for an "old geezer".
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master

Wink

What kind of Sharps is that ? And what's that funny looking thing setting on top ?

Very nice set up, what caliber ? Is that your tree rat gun ?
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

????

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 mike View Post
    What kind of Sharps is that ? And what's that funny looking thing setting on top ?

Very nice set up, what caliber ? Is that your tree rat gun ?
    THAT...is a coyote and deer killing sonofagun!! Most accurate rifle/cartridge I've ever had to my shoulder in over 60 years of shooting!!

6.5x47 Lapua! Shoots tight little knots all the way to 1000 and ain't no slouch at 12 and 1300 yds.!! And it does it with only 39.0 grs. of Varget.
    Last edited by RMulhern; 05-25-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added info!

rick...that contraption on top of that foreign looking shootin iron reminds me of a like thing [nightforce i believe] i paid over 2k for and slapped it on my first 45-70...talk about a pigs ear looking afair!! no question about the shootability tho...took all the question out of my load development but UGLY??? wowww!! got my eye on a new toy but it will not be a bp rifle so im slow bout yankin the trigger on the project.

Foreign looking shootin iron!

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    rick...that contraption on top of that foreign looking shootin iron reminds me of a like thing [nightforce i believe] i paid over 2k for and slapped it on my first 45-70...talk about a pigs ear looking afair!! no question about the shootability tho...took all the question out of my load development but UGLY??? wowww!! got my eye on a new toy but it will not be a bp rifle so im slow bout yankin the trigger on the project.
    bigted

Right now here....and for the past ten days or so the temps are bumping 100F and I hate to admit it but I'm somewhat of a sissy in these temp ranges! Matter of fact...I've threatened several times to take a backhoe down to the Alto, La. cemetery where all me Irish kin are buried and dig 'em all up and hang 'em from the tallest cottonwood I could find for stopping in this God forsaken climate! If it weren't for the fact that all my children and grandchildren are here....I would have been gone a long time ago! And this area has been and is highly conducive to the business I established many years ago aka agricultural aviation. As for the foreign looking shootin iron...yep...I reckon you could call me a cross-dresser because when I took up BPCR ever so how many years back I had no intention of denying myself the pleasure of shooting SP rifles! Now...early AM or late PM I can drive up to the range...with very little equipment required and either go prone or off the bench and enjoying shooting after it has cooled down a tat...maybe only 90F! I don't think you boys up that way could tolerate even that heat! Most of my shooting of BPCR will began again in maybe late September or mid October...depending on the air temps! I don't enjoy having to go through all the 'rigamoreroe' required for shooting the Sharps when I've got sweat rolling down the crack O me Irish ****!! I would like maybe one day possibly to go up to Don McDowell's homestead, sit atop one of the ridges there with the Sharps and whack a nice speedgoat!! Enjoy your cooler days!!

My biggest concern right now is to get shed of the :takinWizneumonia my good Doc advised that I have as of my visit to him this morning! I don't think I've had two hours of good sleep the past week! But...I'm a tuff ole fart!

Boolit Master
    Is this a response to Steve's Wyoming Schuetzen Union? I think half the people I know have started their own shooting discipline in the last three years.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Not in response to the WSU, just an extention from it. That Schuetzen stuff seems to be gaining in popularity, as are the heavy slug guns..... Hmmmm maybe history does repeat itself.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Are the National Rifle Club matches still running? If so I imagine they'll be this month.

If they are still going, I'd like to enter next year (need to get my cross border paperwork and it's too late for this year).

I've got what I hope would qualify for a traditional bench rifle. It's an original 1885 DST Winchester Single Shot in .38-50 Remington Hepburn. It shoots breech seated bore diameter PP bullets.

From the WSU site, I'm not 100% sure that the wood on the rifle would qualify for traditional rifle as it's a wider forearm than you'd find on an original.

What match formats are there for black powder cartridge bench rifles?

thanks,

Chris.