Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: WST for .45 Colt

WST for .45 Colt

I've been using WST for .38 special, .45 ACP & .44 special with good results. My .44 special loads are with the Accurate 43-210A & I've been using from 5.0 to 5.5 grs. of WST. It's clean burning, bulky & seems to soften recoil.

My plinking load in the .45 colt usually uses the 195 gr. Lyman 452488 (H&G 130 clone) with HP-38/231 or Red Dot.

To me the .44 special & .45 Colt are similar enough that a 5.0 gr. of WST should give similar results in the Colt with that 195 gr. 452488.

Has anyone tried WST with light boolits in the .45 Colt?

Thanks for any input.
    Henry

What is WST?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    What is WST?
    Winchester Super Target powder. https://wwpowder.com/wst/

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience has been that if your loading machine is already set up to meter a safe powder charge with Bullseye, that when the powder runs out you can fill the measure reservior with WST or 452AA and keep running with the same measure setting and you will have a safe load, which produces a bit lower velocity.

I use 4 grains of WST or 452AA for a 25-yard timed and rapid-fire, low recoil wadcutter load in the .45 ACP with the H&G 130 or H&G68, and 6.5 grains as a cowboy load with 200-grain bullets in the .45 Colt. For a full-charge load with 260-grain bullets in the .45 Colt you can go to 7.5 grains in the Colt SA and clones with no issues.

I use 6.5 grains with 200-215 grain bullets in my 1905 Colt Frontier Six Shooter in .44-40
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My experience has been that if your loading machine is already set up to meter a safe powder charge with Bullseye, that when the powder runs out you can fill the measure reservior with WST or 452AA and keep running with the same measure setting and you will have a safe load, which produces a bit lower velocity.

I use 4 grains of WST or 452AA for a 25-yard timed and rapid-fire, low recoil wadcutter load in the .45 ACP with the H&G 130 or H&G68, and 6.5 grains as a cowboy load with 200-grain bullets in the .45 Colt. For a full-charge load with 260-grain bullets in the .45 Colt you can go to 7.5 grains in the Colt SA and clones with no issues.

I use 6.5 grains with 200-215 grain bullets in my 1905 Colt Frontier Six Shooter in .44-40
    Excellent information! Thanks for the prompt reply.

I love this forum.
    Henry

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    Excellent information! Thanks for the prompt reply.

I love this forum.
    Henry
    Additional info, in .45 ACP with #452374 4.8 grains of WST or 452AA gives 800 fps and cycles an M1911 hardball gun. 5 grains is a full-charge load in .45 ACP which shouldn't be exceeded.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Additional info, in .45 ACP with #452374 4.8 grains of WST or 452AA gives 800 fps and cycles an M1911 hardball gun. 5 grains is a full-charge load in .45 ACP which shouldn't be exceeded.
    In the 45 ACP I've been using 4.3 gr. of WST with the Lyman #452374 & really am pleased with that combination. WST meters so well & I like the light grey color for visibility before seating the boolit.
    Last edited by oldhenry; 02-01-2020 at 08:50 PM.