Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone shoot a spanish FR8 ?

Boolit Master

anyone shoot a spanish FR8 ?

Morning , i have just got a hold of a decent spanish FR8 chambered in 7.62x51 and would like to get a little guidance on loading for this rifle .
    The bore slugs at a snug .308.5 and land /grooves are sharp and crisp, am i right to say these are a 1-12 twist and the "parent" is a Mod 43 large ring mauser?.

I would appreciate any info from folks who shoot these rifles ( bering in mind i have a glass shoulder ), i.e boolit choice ,,,, powder,,,, ect,ect,.
    i do load and shoot the 8x57's but never had the pleasure of shooting a 7.62x51 Nato .
    have a great day,,
    Adrian.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

HONCHO EMERITUS

I have an FR-8. The best accuracy I have gotten is with the NOE 316299 sized to .314" My bore slugs @ .309"

Mine has a very fat throat; so you might want to measure the inside of a caseneck from a casing fired in your rifle. Then just subtract .001" from that measurement and size accordingly. My rifle will take a much fatter boolit with PRIVI brass; but I figured that sizing down .005" upon firing was more than enough!

Also, I managed to get a CETEME front sight adjustment tool from Libert Tree Collectors a few years ago. Sure made things a lot easier getting the front sight on for elevation & windage. The front sight post is offset on the shaft; so when you are adjusting the front sight for elevation you are also changing the POI for windage. Just make sure that you loosen the tiny lock screw on the front of the front sight assy before you try to adjust the front sight height.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

314299 over 16 Gr. of Unique does good in my FR-8.
    Shoots to the 200M peep @ 100 yards, I cover the target with the front pin and use the battle sight @ 25 yards.
    The FR-8 is a great truck gun.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I'm not shooting an FR-8, but 308 in a Ruger Gunsite Scout. In that you mention being recoil sensitive, I'll recommend the Lee C-312-155-2R or its TL sibling TLC-312-160-2R over 18-20gr 2400. This is a very accurate load every time out in my rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    A friend has one and I've fired it a few times.

Up side: Very accurate with NATO ball ammo. Bolt operation is smooth. Light weight.

Down side: Relatively heavy recoil. Rear sight not adjustable, front sight adjustable for elevation with proper tool.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes the FR8 has a 12" twist, at least mine does anyway, and it's "parent" is indeed the M43 Spanish M98 action. It shoots 7.62 NATO, .308W and 7.62 CETME ammuntion with equal aplomb. (please, no tangent discussionss on 7.62 vs .308W.....) I have the Spanish Manual for the FR7/FR8s and they were indeed made to shoot both the 7.62 NATO and 7.62 CETMA cartridges. Anyways, mine is a dandy cast bullet shooter with numerous different weight cast bullets from 90 to 200 gr and from 800 to 2100 fps.

I grew to dislike the sights very quickly as I got mine to be a "shooter" so I turned it into a "scout". It comes as close to a military version of the scout as COL Cooper probably would have intended.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 10-02-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I've put some cast loads through my FR-7 recently. Tried both 155 gr Lee and 120 gr RCBS roundnose with 17-20 grs of 2400. Bullets sized 309. Better accuracy with the RCBS carbine bullet.

Boolit Master
    Dutch4122,,i have that NOE mold so this is a good start , i think i will do an "impact" slug to see what the throat is or at least give me a starting point .
    I hope the throat will allow that length of a round .

The powder choice so far is 2400 with unique snapping at it's heels (i have both ),,, i also have the 311284 ,the 308291,,311407 and the 31141 ,,311413,,3118,,and the little 311359 so my choice is overwhelming that's why i asked you more experienced casters and shooters for advice, and so far you have done just that,,thanks .
    Keep em coming ..

Larry that is a beautiful looking set-up you have there , it's like the rifle was designed around that scope,,, i like it ,,,,,alot.
    adrian.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Grand Master

It is my favorite scout rifle.

Larry Gibson

In Remebrance

Mine loves the RCBS 30-180 and a variety of loads. I haven't found a load yet it doesn't like!

Boolit Buddy
    First was stolen so picked up another because they are such a nice little shooter. It or an "M" SKS are usually the truck guns. Larry, that "scout" setup is not an FR-8. Sure looks nice though.

Boolit Master

Mine shoots cast and jacketed very well. I can put 5 shots in a fist sized group off my belly at 100yds with Chinasports .308 147gr. ball. It does kick though.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    Larry, that "scout" setup is not an FR-8. Sure looks nice though.
    My "scout" sure started out as an FR8. I replaced the "CETMA" dodads (flash suppressor with M14 w/front sight, phoney gas tube with front sight taken off and the rear sight removed and replaced with the Lyman SME reciever sight. Bolt handle was forged low for easier and proper manipulation. The barrel was contoured for the SA M1A scout mount and the hanguard inletted for it. Maybe it's now an XFR8E1

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

I'm using a FR 7. I shoot 32 acp, 71 grn jktd, 32 acp plated, Lyman 311316, ALL with a shotgun powder, Green Dot. Great plinker! Read about Larry Gibson plinker load and just adapted it to 762x51. I've used full power jakted, (147 gr), and lead Boolits at 311291, 311413 (it loves these), but the plinkers are the most fun. A little bark, NO bite, and shoots to point of aim to 100 yds after adjusting the front sight. A great fun, gun!

I agree about the sights as stated above.

Maybe mounting a scout scope would get mine out of the safe more.
    High Hook

Boolit Master
    Well i haven't got around to shooting it yet so i can't comment on the sights ,but I'm sure what I'm hearing is true ( good fur nuttin sights ),putting some lead down the barrel is my first priority then I'll fool with the sights, who knows i may take to em and everything will be hunky dory.
    Would i need the tool (as mentioned) to adjust the front post?.
    Could i make one ,?
    Nah!!! , it's just not worth the effort, I'll buy one (talking to myself ).
    Thanks guy's I'm going to cast some of those 3118's this weekend and try some fast powder in it , maybe bullseye ???? .

Any suggestions would surely be appreciated. :kissarse:

Boolit Grand Master

Try 3.2 - 3.5 gr Bullseye under that 3118. Given the sights can't guarentee where it will hit but I bet they all hit together

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I can't complain about the sights (rear aperture adjustable for elevation, front adjustable for windage and elevation) but I haven't shot mine further than 400 yds. (ReLoder 15 with a custom 161 gr paper patched slug at 2300+ fps.) Recoil pad appreciated with that load. Closer targets catch a Lee C312-185-R powered by 7383 for me or AL-8 for SWMBO.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Try 3.2 - 3.5 gr Bullseye under that 3118. Given the sights can't guarentee where it will hit but I bet they all hit together

Larry Gibson
    I thank you sir,
    Like i said getting it to shoot is #1 right now and this is what i need for that , now the sight situation is another kettle o fish to be addressed later.

I made a few 3118's last night and i'm gonna load some today per your suggestions and off to the range tommorow.....

As for the heavier boolits i think i will start at the low wght and work up to the 200 grner's just to see what my whimpy shoulder can stand, i have the means but lack the courage to try them,,, recoil pads could be in my future....

Have a great weekend , thanks fella's,,,,

Boolit Master

I would if I could find one for a price i am willing to pay. Heck in todays world, I would even be tempted by a 1916.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!