Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What happen to the 300 H&H Magnums? Winchester M70 NM Target Rifle gone too?

Boolit Buddy
    If you guys are interested in more of the Palma lore, do a search through the rec.guns archives on the name Bart Bobbitt. Bart was a member of the US Palma several times. He provided those guys on rec.guns with a wealth of info. He explained to everyone why the Winchesters were still the action of choice during the 1990. He is also a member on one of the firearm forums right now, but which one escapes me.

If you have ever seen the NRA pamphlet on the M1 Garand, the fellow on the cover at the national matches was Bobbitt.

MH
    Last edited by Mack Heath; 11-20-2014 at 03:52 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I had a 300 h&h in the '70's. Accurate as all get out. Thought I would rule the bottom field. Way to much for deer. Ruined the front half of every deer. Seemed to kick way too much for someone used to a .243. Probably should have kept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk A View Post
    Thanks for posting the vintage advertising. I found this thread looking around for Bull content; I just acquired a 1955 Bull gun (re-chambered from .300H&H to .300Win). The collectors weren't keen on it, but it was just the recipe that I was seeking for some 1000yd shooting. As a life-long .270Win devotee, I will need to test some loads in this new caliber. (Suggestions are welcome.) My priorities include verifying the headspace, mounting some optics, and installing a target buttplate that offers increased LOP. All in all, I am delighted with this Bull gun. It is my first Marksman-stocked model, but certainly not the last.

-Kirk

Yep it's fun to dream. Dreaming is free all week. BTW Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    l remember with great disgust the destruction of fine target rifles by the Army while working at Training Aids at Fort Gordon,Ga during the 1970s. Army would bring in these Win Mod 70 and 52 Target Rifles and have the guys in the machine shop cut them up on the band saw. As they say, lock-stock- and barrel...Always a cut thru the action, then barrel, stock, and all. Utterly detstroying fine shootable guns. l saw them cut up Colt 1911s, Garands, Thompsons, Remington 22 target bolt guns too. What a waste

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure but several years ago the host country of the Palma match would supply the ammunition and in many cases the rifle to be used by everyone in the match. One year the US Palma match was held around the time if the Nationals at Camp Perry. All shooters used NM M14's IIRC.

One shooter who attended the match in England was able to acquire one of the rifles, an Envoy match rifle based on a Lee Enfield, single shot conversion.

Boolit Grand Master

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123