Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review of .22 LR to .224 swaged bullets with die set from BT Sniper

In Remembrance

Review of .22 LR to .224 swaged bullets with die set from BT Sniper

I just received the first .224 die set from BT Sniper! What a work of art. Beautiful workmanship, and quality machining! Well thought out design for everything.

I will take pictures later, but I was so excited that I just had to come up from the shop, and do this write up!!

My target was 55 grain bullets which would be appropriate for shooting in my AR15's. I wanted hollow points, or something close to that. Brian hit it perfectly on the weight, and shape. The resulting bullets are extremely accurate weight wise, have a wonderful profile, and are very concentric to the axis line.

I bought a wire extrusion die from Lafaun, and use 187 grain cast Lee TL style boolits as the raw material for that. I found that if I coated the castings with Xlox thinned out with mineral spirits, it helped the wire flow through the die easily. And, this leaves a slight residual coating of lube on the wire, which eases the later core swage (makes the cores accurate weight) operation. The wire extrudes at .187" diameter, which is perfect for these cores.

I made my own wire chopper, based on the idea of a paper cutter. Two pieces of angle iron, with a pivot, clamped to my bench top. I feed the wire through two holes, to a stop, which gives me a 47.9 grain pre-form.

I run the pre-form into a Lafaun core swage die. Brian is allowing me to use the one he got from Lafaun until he makes me one of his own. I'm getting 46 grain swaged cores.

I'm de-rimming brass on a BT Sniper de-rimming die set. I found that the Federal brass is thicker, and so I am weeding those out, along with any brass that has a deep cut from the gun's firing pin. I am bringing home .22 LR brass from my club, and it's a variety of manufacturers, shot from a variety of guns. The ones that had nicked edges from the firing pins were the ones that seemed to split, crack, and punch through while de-rimming.

After de-rimming, I am annealing by placing the de-rimmed brass pieces on top of 10d (ten penny) plain (not galvanized.... the zinc would be poisonous) finish nails. I have a row of thirty nails. I can go down the row with a hand held propane torch pretty fast, stopping at each one until it glows. I tried MAPP gas, but found that it was too hot, melting the brass sides. Propane is perfect for my needs, and the priocess moves along quickly. I dump the brass from the board onto a metal tray for cooling.

The next operation is to seat the cores in the annealed brass. A touch of swage lube makes that job amazingly easy. Once I have the cores seated, I set up the point form die.

The point form die will handle any weight of bullet. Anything less than 55 grains will require trimming the brass. Anything over that weight will have an exposed lead tip, but it's all possible in this die.

The actual pressure to form the point can be achieved by pushing on the press arm with two fingers (my thumb and index finger). I have the die set so that at the full mechanical stop of the press the bullet is perfectly formed. The resulting bullets are slightly hollow pointed, and the base bottom is flat, with slight curvature on the edges. The form is very precise, and repeatable. The bullets eject with the automatic ejector with almost no force whatsoever. With some practice, I am sure I could easily exceed BT Snipers production rate in his video.

I have some sample parts cleaning as I type this. I will post images soon, and even show you some of the sample parts that Brian sent along with the die set.

Needless to say, I am very impressed and very happy!

This is a die set that is above Corbin's quality. I've never seen a Blackmon die set in person, so I can't compare this set to that. But I have seen a Corbin set in person, and this is nicer.

Pictures will follow.

P.S. I will have samples available for people to take a look at as soon as I get enough cores made, etc.... So far, it was small qtys of everything.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Vendor Sponsor

WOW! I have felt like an expectant father waiting to hear about the delivery of his first child ever since I sent Duke this first set of 22 cal dies. I'm glad to hear things are going smoothly.

I know I had atleast 7 attempted proto types before I achieved the level of perfection I obtained in Duke's set of dies. With sucessful customer imput and continueous slight design improvments (if even needed, they are pretty good now I think ) I am confident in the ability of these dies and the bullets they make as well as the ability of the avarage reloader to achieve success with these dies.

Good shooting, keep us posted and SWAGE ON!

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    So what is the eta on mine.

Boolit Buddy
    this thread is useless without pics.

The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

In Remembrance

There are three groups here.
    • Front Left: This is a group of samples that came from BT Sniper as he was setting up my dies, just prior to shipping. Notice the highly polished finish. They are well made, and very clean, shiny, and nice. Tight noses.
    • Front Right: This is a sample set that BT Sniper shipped with the die set. These aren't quite as bright and shiny as the first set, but I understand how he gets them so bright, and am working on duplicating his system. I'm sworn to secrecy.
    • Back Row: These are all bullets that I swaged in about ten minutes while setting the die set up to try them. The ones on the right were run last, and have a slightly tighter nose. The ones on the left are more open at the nose, and are a distinct hollow point. The ones on the left are similar to what I have seen from Corbin dies. The ones on the right are way beyond what corbin is able to do.

BT Sniper has previously video taped this exact die set in operation. And, has shown images of the dies.

As I said earlier, I will make samples available to folks as soon as I get some raw materials set and ready to go.

This swaging is very different than the 9>.40 or the .40> .44 sets. Virtually no pressures involved, and much more precise and refined.
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 05-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

In Remembrance

BTW, borrowing the images from BT Sniper's other post, here is my core seat die and swage die, and the accompanying base punches:

And, the video of my dies in operation is here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=152541

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

Pretty cool, Duke! Will you show these off this weekend?
    Sam

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    These aren't quite as bright and shiny as the first set, but I understand how he gets them so bright, and am working on duplicating his system. I'm sworn to secrecy.
    Dang those are very shiney and no line down at the base. I thought he said something about using mineral spirits?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Vendor Sponsor

Looks great Duke. I'll tell you the same thing I tell all my customers........ The bullets look even better loaded

Good Shooting

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    Duke,
    what press are you using these dies in?
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Bub
    BT, we really need to get you to make .224 dies for Aneat's press.

Vendor Sponsor

No problem but a smaller press will allow better control when making these small bullets. Everyone should have even the simplest of reloading presses in which these dies would work just fine in.

Even Corbin mentions that the big swage press is not needed and better results can be obtained from a simple reloading press using 22 cal dies like this. I read that on his sight or in one of his books somewhere. Why do you want to use such a big press to make these small bullets?

I use simple RCBS Supreme or Lee Classic Cast press for making these bullets. The only part of the entire 22 cal process that needs any pressure at all is the derim process and even that is not that difficult on a standard reloading press.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Banned

i de-rim on my hornady,and core swage/point form on my little a-2.
    i use the rock chucker for the one step 44's.

In Remembrance

Yes, Sam, I will bring some samples. There won't be any time to set up and demo the process though.

Quote Originally Posted by sffar View Post
    Pretty cool, Duke! Will you show these off this weekend?
    Sam
    I'm using a clunky 20 year old RCBS Rockchucker press that I use for all my swaging.

Quote Originally Posted by ratboy View Post
    Duke,
    what press are you using these dies in?
    I can't wait to get some loaded. Thanks again, Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Looks great Duke. I'll tell you the same thing I tell all my customers........ The bullets look even better loaded

Good Shooting

BT

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master

For bright and shinny pills, I add them to my SS tumbler with dish soap and Lemi shine. Purtiest things I have ever seen. Only takes an hour.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Those look great duke.

Banned

Sweet! I am envious!

Boolit Master
    Brian, are you going to offer these with a base punch for a standard shell holder or is the threaded base punch the only option?

I've been wanting a set of 224 swage dies for some time now. What's your production schedule and delivery time look like for this die set?

Great product, keep up the good work!

Vendor Sponsor

Base punch is availble for standard shell holder, 1/2-20 tpi threaded rams and RCE 7/8-14 threaded ram. I can not do Corbin's 5/8-24 threads yet.

Here is some for standard shell holders.

I will be happy to take orders at this time and any time. I expect about 2 months for delivery of the next sets of 22 cal dies. It will be worth the short wait. As many of you know I will always error on side of quality should I encounter any delays. Let me kow if you want to make 6s ogive bullets like Duke has pictured or 9s ogives. Typically the 6s ogive feeds better in the semi autos from what I hear.

I'll be able to supply derim dies much sooner to get everyone started on the process.

Feel free to send me PM's for additonal info. I'll be happy to put as many of these 22 cal package sets together for all that want one.

Good shooting and Swage On!

BT
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 05-18-2012 at 12:28 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

In Remembrance

Anyone getting serious about "precision swaging" on a reloading press should ask BRian to make a THREADED ram. They're not all that expensive. And, because there's no way for the punch to move in a slot, there's never any risk of a punch crash into the edge of the die. I had that happen previously with a 9>40 die, and immediately went to the threaded ram which Brian made for my Rockchucker press. Solidly made, and nice fit and finish.

Ogive chart here:
    http://rceco.com/img/RSBook12.pdf

The 6S works great in my AR, and is easier to reproduce.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast