Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: ar-15?

ar-15?

Does any of you boolit casters cast for your ar's?

Boolit Mold
    I just finished a 500 round cast bullet test in my ar-15. Go into the test section and you can get some idea of what took place. I am holding off posting more information because I submitted an article for publication at the request of a mod here. Here is the short version. I tested three different bullets, and found a bullet and load that worked fine. I shot 250 rounds in 20-50 rounds test over several weeks, the final test was 250 rounds in about 15 minutes. No problems or malfunctions. I never cleaned the gun or the bolt during the test. There are pictures of the bolt at the end of the test. Minor lead deposits on the bolt, and lube build up, but nothing that a good cleaning didn't take care of. Some limited accuracy work was done at 25 yards to determine if lead build up would affect the gun. I could not see any significant change at that distance, however accuracy tests at 100 yards or so may show a difference. The same load worked through an AR-15 pistol with no problems either

Boolit Master

Search is your friend, yes lots of us do for lots of different calibers. We even have some custom mold makers making boolit molds for them.

Boolit Master
    I love cast in my 300 blackout upper! .223 not so much...

Boolit Master

I shoot cast out of 4 uppers, 1 in 5.56 (60gr NOE boolit), 2 in 300AAC (170gr Lee and 245gr Accurate) and 1 6.8SPC (an old Ideal that casts a 135gr RN).

I've had some luck with an AR in 6x45: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...highlight=6x45
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered a 6x45 for one of my AR's

harcase, I hope you got a slower twist, the 1/8 twist, and the 5R rifling of the Obermeyer gave me fits for awhile. I should have the 6mm mold from Swede soon, and I think it'll make things a bit easier.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson