Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More memories up in smoke- the fun way.

More memories up in smoke- the fun way.

With my continued " use it, don't toss it" attitude for old components;
    Today I used some rusty can IMR4350 with a $16 price tag on it. When I poured it from the original rusty rectangular can into a labeled jar, you could see fine rust blowing away in the breeze from the shop fan. My brain bounce last summer eliminated my sense of smell- so no data there. But it looks good.
    SO- the ever handy Lee scoop(2.2cc) dropped 29.9 grs into 30-30 cases from the 80s, primed with early 70s Remington 9-1/2M- to keep up the vintage.
    The bullets are LeeC309113F sized .309" and PC'd- av. 120grs in weight with my seine weight/ range scrap alloy.
    I got the load from Lyman 45th.
    5 shots at 40 yards went into a nice round 1-1/8" group- and actually in the bull.
    Time for some turkey hunting loads to be made up with this recipe.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 08-09-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master
    Not too shabby!!!
    Don Verna

USMC 77, USRA 79

turkey Hunting Thomas with a 30-30? you musta hit your knoggin again?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    turkey Hunting Thomas with a 30-30? you musta hit your knoggin again?
    Definitely maybe, Mark! 30-30 cast at about 1500 fps works perfectly on Ol' Tom.

Safety lesson! I'm sure you know whether it was still good or not. For the less initiated, powder breaks down inside the can with a rusty cloud. This is indicative of powder going bad and smells different. Do not use the powder if this happens.

You have a point there, JAC43.
    I should have mentioned that I did have others here do a comparison sniff with much newer 4350 and they didn’t note a difference. And I’m using it for low pressure cast loads, saving my new 4350 for jacketed high velocity loads in other rifles here. This is part of a group of leftover powders left to me by late friends- apparently this one wasn’t stored as well as the others- but it’s still good.

Boolit Master
    Nothing like using up the leftovers, maybe I'm still old school but waste not want not, a little off topic but today we defrosted the freezer (finally) found a bunch off freezer burned stuff at the bottom, swmbo say's toss, I'm like NOT!! My Pressa and Cane corso dont mind a bit chewy meat especialy on the raw side tonite they are feelin fat fartin and happy (air quality has gone with the wind ) and no waste.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    Nothing like using up the leftovers, maybe I'm still old school but waste not want not, a little off topic but today we defrosted the freezer (finally) found a bunch off freezer burned stuff at the bottom, swmbo say's toss, I'm like NOT!! My Pressa and Cane corso dont mind a bit chewy meat especialy on the raw side tonite they are feelin fat fartin and happy (air quality has gone with the wind ) and no waste.
    Throw in some cooked broccoli, and the house has gone to the dogs for the night! Don't ask me how I know

USMC 77, USRA 79

remember that movie with John Wayne, true grit, where they go out and shoot a turkey with a 30-30 while tracking luck ned pepper? even John Wayne said "too much gun".... or was that a different John movie?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    remember that movie with John Wayne, true grit, where they go out and shoot a turkey with a 30-30 while tracking luck ned pepper? even John Wayne said "too much gun".... or was that a different John movie?
    Glen Campbell shot that turkey with a 45-70!
    So would I- haha....

Banned

I got a lot of old powder primers and especially cast bullets from Dad when we moved them. Been gradually shooting stuff up over the past four years and just now have begun to notice a dent in the cast bullets. A lot of the powders are long discontinued, cueently using on several pounds of ALcan 7, I really like the stuff in .357 Magnum.

Boolit Master
    I just finished off a can of DuPont Hi-Skor that had a $1.65 price sticker on it. Put it in the 12 gage and it shot just fine.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Buddy
    ...and i am loading 5010 that is still just fine in 30/06,7.5x55, and 7.62x54r and useing herters primers from the 60s, both work !

Rifle turkey hunting in Texas?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Absolutely! The .222 is the rifle of choice around here.
    USMC 6638

Yes, Rio Grande Turkey- not Eastern. Legal to hunt with rimfire or centerfire rifle or handgun in most Texas counties.

It feeds great and shoots well, this load. The 5 shot group at the top is from my 581 Remington .22 rifle. There are a few unburned sticks of powder noticeable, but these two groups at 40 yards (with the morning sun in my face) make me not care about it....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Grouse with a .22LR used to be legal here (I suspect it still is), head shots are my way to go, in one eye and out the other is quite humane.

Did lose one grouse as a fox had been stalking it, shot, -blur- fox runs off with my grouse, amused and ticked a bit at the same time!

Enjoy your hunt

Boolit Buddy
    I would caution against storing powder in a glass jar. A friend and fellow hunter/shooter broke down some shotgun shells that he had loaded that didn't pattern well. He, for some reason stored the powder in a glass jar. A few years later he was cleaning out his storage cabinet and found the powder . He decided to take it outside to pour it on his lawn. When he went to unscrew the lid, the powder exploded. He lost two fingers, mangled his thumb had glass shrapnel in his face and chest.
    This happened about a month before deer season. A couple of us fellows on the lease built a long stairway up to his apartment as he could not climb up using the cottonpicker spindles. We called it his apartment because it was a huge box stand, 25 feet up in a huge oak tree. I don't have a clue how he got the old recliner up there.
    He got his deer opening morning.
    The funny side, Diane, his wife was going to mop the kitchen floor a day or two after the incident. She went into the garage to get her mop bucket. In the bucket along with the mop water from the last time she had mopped, was Vernon's Timex watch, still running. We told Vernon that Timex advertising folks called and offered him a chance to make a good chunk of money if he could do it again on camera.
    Last edited by cupajoe; 08-24-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast