Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Nagant 7.62x38R Re-loading

Boolit Mold

Nagant 7.62x38R Re-loading

Using the Lee Nagant dies, Starline 32-20 brass and Missouri Bullets Cowboy #6 (100 gr .314 dia. 12 BHN) with Unique to develop loads. Powder tested 3.0 grs to 4.2 grs successfully. Optimal accuracy load probably around 3.4 grs Unique. Barrel slugs to .3135. Not bad with bullet seated out to end of cylinder. I have more testing to do.

Tried some Russian “Sporting” ( light 83 gr wadcutter) ammo, but Berdan primed –Drat! Very light recoil, a very light load. No reloading here, it's old brass anyway.

Tried some brass from PPU (Prvi Partisan) Nagant ammo. About a quarter inch longer than the Lee converted 32-20 brass. Sizes/expands fine with the Lee die. Fits revolver cylinder, BUT loading with the 100gr .314 dia. bullet fails; the bullet as it fully seats (as an original Nagant round below the case mouth) stretches the cartridge to exceed the diameter the Nagant cylinder will chamber- it’s too fat!

Any suggestions on using full size Nagant brass from PPU? Options include (1) shortening the brass to converted 32-20 length. (2) Use an undersized soft bullet. (3) ?

~R. Flux

Boolit Mold

7.62x38R brass

I use the 7.62x38R brass and a cast bullet sized to .311 and seated down in the case with red dot powder. I use the .30 Carbine dies, works good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Brass interior reaming?
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Mold

size die

you could run the loaded round back in the size die just enough so it will
    fit in the cylinder...

Boolit Grand Master

I bought some Hornady 32 cal HBWC bullets recommended by someone here. Not my cast but they go for fairly cheap and they worked good. Better than anything I used previously.
    Aim small, miss small!