Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: HS-6 powder for the 44 mag

Boolit Master

HS-6 powder for the 44 mag

Well I know nothing about HS 6 powder so I am asking my fellow shooters.
    I am trying to get at least 1150 FPS with a Med. hard cast 270 280 grain bullet. HS 6 looks like it has a fairly good load window as to Min. and Max. loads.
    It does not seem to be a super A$$ kicker, but not a wimp either.
    I know, 2400---296---H110--Lil gun-- are all good.
    I have shot some Winchester 240 grain SP and I think the Vel. is about 1185 close to 1200 FPS. I think I can handle a little more recoil.
    I don't have good reloading book that shows all the good lead bullet loads
    So I mostly start with the J boolet loads and work up.

HS6 270 grain gold dot hp 11gr. 1036 fps 22,200 cup
    14 gr. 1305 fps 36900 cup

296 same bullet 19.5 gr. 1295 fps 29300 cup
    21.5 gr. 1421 fps 37700 cup
    If I am looking at this correctly it looks like the 296 powder gets me there with less pressure, I just have to watch I don't under charge.
    I have loaded for semi auto for so long I fee like a Nu Be loading for revolver.
    I have read ( don't no if it's true ) that a 270 to 300 grain bullet at 1,100 f P S will take just about any game up to 50 yards.
    Help me out with this so as it makes some sense to me.
    Super black hawk 7.5" barrel
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned

If you're shopping for powder, I'd say go with the 2400, but HS6 is a really good one too, burns a bit faster and a lot cleaner at somewhat lower pressures than 2400, so can be loaded even milder if you choose, and nearly as fast as 2400 also if you choose. Unique, HS6, and 2400 are my go-to powders in .44 Mag depending on boolit weight and how fast I want to push them.

FWIW I use a LOT of HS6 in .45 Colt well under the max standard pressure loadings. It's dirty just like any powder is below its designed burn pressure, but dang it's accurate!

Gear

Boolit Master
    296 and H110 will give you more velocity with the same or maybe less pressure because they are slower burning than your HS-6.

I shoot a lot of HS-6 in .44spl, .45 colt and some on .44 mag. Most of the HS-6 shot in .44mag are in a Ruger Alaskan snubby with a 260gr cast Keith boolit. If you use the Gold Dot data or the Hornady XTP data you should be ok because they have a lot of bullet in the case and shorter OAL. Of coarse work your way up. I've had best results using mag primers with HS-6. It seems to prefer it since its a higher volume case and 13.0gr (for example) doesn't take up that much room.

The Speer 270gr and 300gr j-bullets are some of the better (hear say) jacketeds on the market. They seem to hold up better then XTPs upon impact and the Speers penetrate deeper. They don't mushroom/deform as much as XTPs If an XTP even holds together.

Boolit Master
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention HS-6 is very accurate. Just wanted to double what Gear said also.

Boolit Master

OK --I will have to digest some of what you all said. At least I didn't ask about a powder that was a no, no.
    I wont be shooting any J words, good grief I could never afford them, but I think some of those Speer 270 deep curl ( SP gold dots ) would make a dandy bear load at about 1,150 f p s
    My powder supply hasn't change yet, it is still only a little bit of long shot and some tite group. I am hopping I can get some powder soon and can't get all kinds to play with, so the pound I get has to be a good all around powder.
    I have to drive 80 miles round trip and the powder is at least $19 to 21 a pound.
    I have to choose carefully. It is a wast to order a small amount from the mail.
    Sometimes my mind acts like it did when I was 30 or 40 years old and I could walk in a get anything I wanted. Things have changed, yes, but I refuse to grow
    old and stop having my share of a little fun.
    Julie first, the fur kids second, the camp third, and then me.
    Anyway I just might give that HS 6 a go. But I will read all the post again to make sure.

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna say no to the Gold Dots for a bear bullet. Stick with cast for bear, you definately want the penetration hard cast offers. If you don't cast a Keith style .44 then I'd encourage you to find one. Magnus Bullet Company makes a good one and they are affordable. I shot there's a lot before I started casting my own Keith .44's.
    http://magnusbullets.com/store/page7.html

Boolit Master

The bullets I have are 429421 255 grains.
    The boys have lent me a few molds ( great people here )
    Lyman 429215 429360 429244 And the mi heck 503 solid, not sure of the weight on the 503 That's the heaviest I will have.

Boolit Master
    The 503 is the one I have and is my absolute FAVORITE! Thats my go to boolit for my .44 amg and .44 spl! Thats the one I use with lots of H110 in my long barrel Super Redhawk and HS-6 in my Alaskan! AWESOME boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    The 503 is the one I have and is my absolute FAVORITE! Thats my go to boolit for my .44 amg and .44 spl! Thats the one I use with lots of H110 in my long barrel Super Redhawk and HS-6 in my Alaskan! AWESOME boolit.
    I use the 503 in front of 12 of HS6. It will do under 2" at 50 yards from my S&W Performance Center. I tried to find the tape, but that load does 1200 fps if I remember correctly. It is a very nice load to shoot.

I use 296 for my hunting boolit which is a gas checked LBT 280 grain.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't shot it with cast, but 12 grs of HS-6 under a 270 gr BT swaged pill gives me 2" groups at 100 yds with a 14" contender. Sure doesn't punish me as much as a full dose of 4227 either.

Banned

I love hs6 but if im looking for more then a 1100 fps i go to a slower powder.

Banned

HS-6 is good powder. One of the best if I want to reduce loads in my big bores.
    Save Lil-Gun for the .410, it will never go in my revolvers because of the heat.