Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: .44 Mag Deer Load

Boolit Master

.44 Mag Deer Load

I'm loading some 240 gr. cast for a friends new H&R Handi rifle in .44 mag. I've got a lot of loads listed in the books but what have any of you loaded for deer? I've got AA5744, H-110, AA#9, Unique and probably a few others in the store room.
    Last edited by rexherring; 05-07-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Boolit Master
    Well I happen to be using a 310gr LBT/LFN boolit ahead of 19gr of AA#9 and it goes out the barrel of my Redhawk 5.5" at a tad over 1300fps.

As long as you are using a boolit of 240 or bigger with a WFN or Long Flat Nose like my LBT mold and some where in the 1000 - 1300fps range, don't think there's any deer going to give you problems providing you have a good hit on them.

Semi-wad cutter will do, just not as good as the WFN.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 05-07-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Boolit Master

18.5 Gr. of 2400 under a 429421 works well for me in a 1894 Marlin.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master

22gr of H110 work's good in my Contender 44mag with a G/C 240gr boolit
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    In a .44 Magnum handgun, 10 grains of Unique behind a cast 240-260 grain boolit will give you around 1100 fps. This load has shot completely through two nice bucks quartering away from me. Both deer dropped within 50 yards. -Ed

Boolit Master
    9.5 gr of Unique+240 swc isn't my standard deer load but soon will likely take over for 2400 in that role, i have killed one buck with it and had great luck, i have no doubts it will punch the length of any deer we have around here. It also falls well below max, i would happily bump up a bit more in a rifle and have even better luck.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    I recently did some work with the new Ranch Dog 432-240GC bullet in a 20" barreled Marlin 336-44 (44 MAG) and my best load for that 240 grainer was 25 grains of H110 . I shot 23 grains of H110 with the Ranch Dog 432-265GC FWIW .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

You'll probably find that max end pistol loads with PB'd cast bullets, especially if BB'd, will not be very accurate in a rifle barrel. The longer barrel pushes them too fast. Shooter's recommended 18.5 Gr. of 2400 under a 429421 works well for me in a 1894 Marlin is probably a good load for the rifle you are loading for as is 429421Coboy's load of 9.5 gr Unique.

If you don't have time to work up a load testing for accuracy I would recommend one or both of those loads for use in the rifle. The best accuracy I've got from a couple different 240 gr cast BB'd bullets in several .44 Magnum rifles was in the 950 - 1050 fps range. That was with 7.5 - 8.5 gr Unique. A hard cast FB'd bullet or, preferably, a GC'd bullet is needed to get reasonable accuracy above that. I found 18.5 - 19.5 gr 2400 to work well with hard PB'd FB'd cast bullet in the 1200 - 1400 fps range. For best results a GC'd bullet will let you use max pistol loads in rifles with very good accuracy.

Larry Gibson