RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barrel stubbed rifles...

Boolit Buddy

Barrel stubbed rifles...

Pictures deleted!

Copied without my permission!
    Last edited by ASSASSIN; 01-11-2021 at 11:08 AM.

That little black rig is sweet.

Boolit Master

NICE guns Assassin!

.........not to show my ignorance but what, exactly, is a "barrel stubbed rifle"?

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Very nice. Were the Thompson's G-2 or Encores?

Boolit Master
    Just curious and If I may ask. Your thread choice? Are you using a torque shoulder at mating surface or quick change of some type? Gtek

Boolit Grand Master
    So what do you charge to thread the stub and where are you located? Going to be there in two weeks. Kinda looks like the Watonga area.

Boolit Master
    What thread on the H&R, Gtek

Boolit Grand Master
    Durn, guess I gotta try it myself. Want a heavier barreled 500 S&W and maybe a 300 Blackout 24" bbl'd gun.

Will be down in Sooner territory and out near Elk City.

Guess I gotta hit Teds in OKC and maybe some BBQ down in Noble!!

Boolit Master

Why yes I do like them all! Thanks for sharing.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

What's the price tag on converting a H&R to .41 Mag?

Boolit Master
    Assasin, could you please address the extractor groove with a little more detail. I'd be MUCH obliged if you could take a picture.
    Do you disable the ejector and have an "extractor only" set up? That's the way I would go.

Thanks!

I feel a .35 caliber something in the works.......

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    N.E. Ok....

I do not sell threaded stubs or thread them for others. To big of a liability....

A
    Yes David White does fantastic work. He also says us amateur machinist/ gun tinkers are a hazard and shouldn't be allowed to see how the masters of the trade do these things.

Why do some gunsmiths feel that what they do is a secret.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Yes David White does fantastic work. He also says us amateur machinist/ gun tinkers are a hazard and shouldn't be allowed to see how the masters of the trade do these things.

Why do some gunsmiths feel that what they do is a secret.
    Why do they feel like they know more because of some diploma you can get from a correspondence course?

For 13 years I worked in a machine shop running a mill, lathe, grinder, whatever and in the last few years a CNC mill. I've met old Tool Makers along the way that didn't even like guns and could do as good or better than most gunschmitts.

Boolit Grand Master
    Those are fantastic. Man, I wish I had talent.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    I do not know more than anyone else and I don't claim to. That is a lie!

If I handed a threaded barrel stub over to someone and they put a 300 Winchester barrel on the H&R and knowingly or unknowingly on an SB-1 frame, shot the gun and that cheap cast receiver burst and someone got seriously injured or worse, I would be liable...

There is nothing secret a out what I do. I have machining pictures on my forum that show exactly how I thread barrels and stubs, cut extractor slots and everything else...

I work with two different lathes and three mills. One mill is strictly for fluting barrels, one is for drilling/tapping holes and the other one is for everything else. One lathe is for threading, turning and chambering barrels, the other lathe is for boring out barrel stubs...

I've been building rifles and hunting handguns since 1983 and I'm still learning....

A
    I will have to look again . Last time I went on the site there were comments about having removed the pictures that showed any detail of the process. Along with negitive remarks about "ameteurs" doing this kind of work. I was looking to have a barrel done but was totally turned off by that. My skill level is fairly low on a lathe but boring a hole and cutting some threads is something I can do if I practice a few times on some scrap. Won't be working at a production shop speed but its just a hobby. I don't care if it takes 3 days to recrown a barrel. It is the process of doing it that makes it fun. Not paying someone else to do it.

Doing a stubbed barrel was something I was going to have done. I would have liked to chamber it and finish myself. Now I will learn to do the whole job. And no it is not a "secret". But a lot of gunsmiths act like it is. It will be a learning process but that is what makes it satisfying.

I'm not trying to be negative but just show you the other side of the picture.

I hope that someday I will be able to the quality of work you and some others produce.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=DeanWinchester;1711934]Why do they feel like they know more because of some diploma you can get from a correspondence course?

For 13 years I worked in a machine shop running a mill, lathe, grinder, whatever and in the last few years a CNC mill. I've met old Tool Makers along the way that didn't even like guns and could do as good or better than most gunschmitts.[/QUOTE

DW,

I am not singling out anyone in particular but...

I understand what you're saying, BUT I as a retired tool maker and amateur gunsmith on my own projects I can tell you there are a lot of things about gunsmithing and building guns that have no correlation to building tooling in most cases.

I have a good friend who went to Colorado for a 2 year school for gunsmithing. He is an excellent smith, but not a tool maker. Thanks to my friend, I understand a lot more about firearms than I would have if I didn't know him. He's a skilled machinist capable of making about anything you'd want to give him to make from a print. His knowledge in the gunsmithing arena is top notch. Many machinists and tool makers have no understanding of what the stresses and pressures are in firearms or what the function of various parts. Many gunsmiths are not as capable as machinists as professional tool makers and machinists in making super high precision parts. There are hacks in both professions. I'd guess that less than 5% of the tool makers/machinists I've met in my career have any understanding of the mechanics of a firearm.

As an example of what I am saying...what steels are appropriate for firearms and what ones are not and why? What metal joining processes are appropriate for firearms and why and where? What heat treating is correct for firearms and why? On what parts would a fellow want a very hard surface and what cases would he not want a very hard part?

AND lastly beyond the legal liability of making guns for others, there is also the question of the legality of doing so without the proper license and insurance. There are some pretty stiff penalties for breaking the federal laws concerning firearms.

Just my point of view here...

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Thanks for the link.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't shoot break action rifles and I'm obviously missing something.

Why bother stubbing?

Why not just chamber and mount a new barrel?

edit, Never mind, I just looked at one of the links, you need the old barrel stub to provide the break action parts.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=badgeredd;1712299]
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Why do they feel like they know more because of some diploma you can get from a correspondence course?

For 13 years I worked in a machine shop running a mill, lathe, grinder, whatever and in the last few years a CNC mill. I've met old Tool Makers along the way that didn't even like guns and could do as good or better than most gunschmitts.[/QUOTE

DW,

I am not singling out anyone in particular but...

I understand what you're saying, BUT I as a retired tool maker and amateur gunsmith on my own projects I can tell you there are a lot of things about gunsmithing and building guns that have no correlation to building tooling in most cases.

I have a good friend who went to Colorado for a 2 year school for gunsmithing. He is an excellent smith, but not a tool maker. Thanks to my friend, I understand a lot more about firearms than I would have if I didn't know him. He's a skilled machinist capable of making about anything you'd want to give him to make from a print. His knowledge in the gunsmithing arena is top notch. Many machinists and tool makers have no understanding of what the stresses and pressures are in firearms or what the function of various parts. Many gunsmiths are not as capable as machinists as professional tool makers and machinists in making super high precision parts. There are hacks in both professions. I'd guess that less than 5% of the tool makers/machinists I've met in my career have any understanding of the mechanics of a firearm.

As an example of what I am saying...what steels are appropriate for firearms and what ones are not and why? What metal joining processes are appropriate for firearms and why and where? What heat treating is correct for firearms and why? On what parts would a fellow want a very hard surface and what cases would he not want a very hard part?

AND lastly beyond the legal liability of making guns for others, there is also the question of the legality of doing so without the proper license and insurance. There are some pretty stiff penalties for breaking the federal laws concerning firearms.

Just my point of view here...

Edd

Edd, the idea of even calling anyone a "Tool Maker" anymore is almost laughable. Computer Numeric Control and CAD has wiped out the old farts who really understood what it takes to make something by hand or simple tools. With that, the understanding of metallurgy has been lost to the fact that you can send a part out to heat treat and never understand what's going on. You look at a print nowadays and take it on faith that the engineer knows what he is doing. Not to many decades ago, it was NOT that way. I lament the passing of these kind of people. MEn my age and younger have not a clue anymore and those who do are as rare as an honest politician. The kind of people I was referring to WOULD know. I've met a few in the past years, but all were at the brink of being elderly.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post

Edd, the idea of even calling anyone a "Tool Maker" anymore is almost laughable. Computer Numeric Control and CAD has wiped out the old farts who really understood what it takes to make something by hand or simple tools. With that, the understanding of metallurgy has been lost to the fact that you can send a part out to heat treat and never understand what's going on. You look at a print nowadays and take it on faith that the engineer knows what he is doing. Not to many decades ago, it was NOT that way. I lament the passing of these kind of people. MEn my age and younger have not a clue anymore and those who do are as rare as an honest politician. The kind of people I was referring to WOULD know. I've met a few in the past years, but all were at the brink of being elderly.
    Dean:

You are correct, and I do agree.......................but we (Tool & Die Makers) are not all DEAD!

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast