RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pacific North West Clear Cut Rifle Discussion

The Pacific North West Clear Cut Rifle Discussion

*****Pacific North West Clear Cut Elk/Deer Rifle Components*****

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535110

Google Earth tells me that one of my residences now has clear cuts close by. Like many pock marked area's and from the map scale most look 400 to 500 yards from side to side.
    At the moment neither the wife and I possess any dedicated long range hunting rifles.
    Other than 338 Lapua which the brass is nut-so priced were looking at a couple of Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather Stainless "Control Round Feed" 7MM Magums I have only shot the 7MM Mag a few times but noticed it certainly has a quicker sharper recoil than most other rifles.
    Holland Muzzle Brakes which we find work very well would be incorporated.
    For optics were looking 30MM Leupold 4X16X50MM and and a BDC.
    Ethical shot clause would certainly be factored in and would certainly pass on anything over 500 yards.
    A state of the art range finder would accompany the rifles to assist in humane dispatching.
    For projectile selection we were pondering either 168gr SMK's which they use exclusively at Huskemaw Optics/Rifle Company or Barnes 175gr TSX.

Please post what you have used in shooting across clear cuts.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 05-13-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Boolit Master

25-06 Ruger #1 loaded with 4831 and 100gr Nosler Partition bullets for deer.
    Weatherby MK5 in 300 Whby Mag loaded with 4831 and 165 Noslar Partitions for elk.....dale

Boolit Master
    I think you are on the right track with your choices. Although I would probably save some money and just buy a couple senderos. The 7 mag is a great round and a good choice provided you spend the time to master it at longer range. Dont get me wrong.... it isnt hard to become a dedicated long range hunter, but it does take time. Any chance you could shoot some varmints for long range practice? If you could reliably hit woodchucks or prarie dogs out to that distance it would be great practice.
    I would ABSOLUTELY STAY AWAY FROM THE SMK'S FOR HUNTING!!!!!! I cant stress it enough. They are not hunting bullets and will fail you when you need them most. On game! NO NO NO!! If you are wanting a softer, easily expanding bullet try the hornady SST. They are just nasty out of my 280 Ackley. Other than that I really like just the plain ole cup and core Sierra Gamekings. Havent had one fail me yet. And they are a lot cheaper than any of the designer bullets available. The TSX's I have had great performance out of but they are a little pricey. Definately a no fail bullet but hard to practice with em at 60 something cents a piece. And trust me, you are going to need a lot of practice. Target shooting alone is not going to get you there. Animals move and you have to be ready for it if you are going to ethically hunt at that range.
    Your optics are a good choice. Leupy's are definately my favorite. But for just a hunting reticle, I have grown fond of the Nikon reticle. BDC, I think is what they call it. Simple, no fuss, easy to use and range estimation is automatic. The circles are based on the height of a deer's chest. Put the circle on the deer that fits from top to bottom of its chest and pull the trigger. And it doesn't cover up what you are trying to shoot.
    Anyway, these are just my choices. But I have shot a yote at 600 yards, and hogs out to 1000 but mainly cause that was the only chance I had. I wasnt ethically hunting and didnt care if they ran. Deer hunting is of course going to be a little different.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    And trust me, you are going to need a lot of practice. Target shooting alone is not going to get you there. Animals move and you have to be ready for it if you are going to ethically hunt at that range.
    Thanks for your reply. I do have years of experience hunting and shooting at long range with like and similar weapons platforms.
    Here's an exert from one of our tactical weapons forums http://ebrsopmods.proboards.com/inde...ay&thread=1797 www.ebrsopmods.com. Set aside my first tactical rifle was assisted by Gale McMillan in 1977.
    On a lighter note Colorado prairie dogs in the "70's" at 600 was always a confidence builder.
    I'll scare up the 300 yard target pics also.

Sighting in the 20 inch and 24 in AR-10T's.

Last edited by Just Duke; 05-12-2012 at 12:10 PM.

"Moderator Emeritus"

When I HAVE to hunt the Westside, I take 2 rifles. Win 94 444 Marlin (285 gr LBT @2100 fps) and a Rem 700 30/06 (165 gr Hornaday SP @ 2800 fps) If Im sitting and watching a clear cut (most of the time) I have the 06, when I'm wading/crawling/climbing/falling/cussing through the Rhodedandron, I cary the 444.

I'm NOT a fan of long range "hunting", but the outfit you posted looks like it would be suitable for what you want.

+1 on cup and core bullets for hunting.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I never thought the 7mm Remington Magnum to be a hard kicker.

My suggestion would be that you opt for a premium hunting bullet like a Nosler Partition. My father used Federal Premium factory ammo with 160gr on a couple of hunts in the Yukon for moose. In that he was left handed and didn't have a heavier caliber rifle, he opted for upgraded ammo. He couldn't find the same with 175gr, so he took the 160s and shot through both bulls that he took. The one bullet that didn't exit hit the far shoulder and destroyed it, so performance was more than acceptable. He has since continued to use the same ammo for various other hunts for sheep, caribou and whitetail.

Last edited by Just Duke; 05-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    Duke..... I did not realize you were that experienced behind a rifle. You can understand my warning to someone not familiar with long range hunting but you have DEFINATELY had the trigger time, so for what it is worth, I feel better. Please dont think I was doubting you personally.

I used the nosler partition a couple times in 25-06 from a Sendero no less and have had miserable results. They do penetrate well, but I dont think our little deer offer enough resistance to let them work well. The TSX's have never failed me.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy

Tikka T3 hunter with 3-9 leupould CDS turret. 190 grain berger vld@ 2813 fps. Puts the hammer down!

Banned

Adam,
    take the ar-10.
    if a 308 won't go 400 yds and kill a deer, i wouldn't bother hunting.
    when i have to reach across something, i use my slow twist 7 x 57- i.c.l. if i throw a 139 sst/or bt interlock at 3k it'll get there quick enough and do the job.
    i keep a few of those loads with me, and use my 300 yd dot in the leupold bdc scope at 400 over my regular load.
    it's a bit of a compromise, but i ain't gonna sweat an inch high or low at either range.

Hope I'm not on the other side of that clear cut when you cut loose with one of those 500yd shots...looks like the right stuff to do it with though..

Boolit Grand Master

Barnes or Berger will work very well. SMK’s the jackets are too tough to open reliably. Sometimes they will sometimes they won’t.

For scopes scope leupold or Nightforce. The Varmint Hunters reticule is my personnel favorite. I mostly have mill dot but I love the varmint hunters reticule for the ease of windage hold off. The Bullet Drop Compensation (BDC) dials work well.

I am not a fan of Huskemaw Optics scopes. I have only seen two. Both owned by NRA Highpower shooter. Per the owners second rate optics and second rate tracking. Neither one of the shooter still has them.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-12-2012 at 10:18 PM.

6.5-06,140 Nosler Part.
    30-338 Mag,180gr Nosler Part.
    300 Weath. Mag, 180 Nosler Part.

Duke,

You might want to check the topo map along with Google Earth. Just because a clear cut covers 400-500 yards doesn't mean you can see all of it due to eleveation and where you are sitting. Even if you can see end to end, a lot of those timber cuts have enough elevation that the actual yardage you are shooting will be less than the 400-500 yards you might think due to the elevation changes in topography.
    "My feeling is this, give him plenty of time, plenty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me. That's all I ask."

Boolit Mold
    Duke, I am probably not as experienced as some of these people but after 22 years in the Army and three trips to Perry I have some experience. I don't think you have to look any farther than the AR10 platform and I say this having taken more than a dozen elk out of the Yakima unit a few years ago, before I moved to Texas' with my old browning BLR in .308. Shots ranged up to about 350 yds and I was using the old silver tips in 150 gr. Many think they need a Magnum and then can not handle the Magnum package so stories of game mistically bounding away carrying one or several shots of lead heavy enough to sink a large boat. The truth being they missed or gut shot the animals due to over gunning themselves. Know your firearm and learn to place the shots which will make nearly any caliber.25-06 or larger a real elk getter. Olde Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    Adam,
    take the ar-10.

Quote Originally Posted by olde sarge View Post
    Duke, I am probably not as experienced as some of these people but after 22 years in the Army and three trips to Perry I have some experience. I don't think you have to look any farther than the AR10 platform and I say this having taken more than a dozen elk out of the Yakima unit a few years ago, before I moved to Texas' with my old browning BLR in .308. Shots ranged up to about 350 yds and I was using the old silver tips in 150 gr. Many think they need a Magnum and then can not handle the Magnum package so stories of game mistically bounding away carrying one or several shots of lead heavy enough to sink a large boat. The truth being they missed or gut shot the animals due to over gunning themselves. Know your firearm and learn to place the shots which will make nearly any caliber.25-06 or larger a real elk getter. Olde Sarge
    Thanks guys but I prefer to use the AR-10's for other applications plus they just don't horse scabbard well. SCABBARDS LINK They also bleed off a fair amount of gas to cycle the action with a loss in some velocity and energy.
    I have owned several large caliber flat shooters like the 300 UltraMag and the 338 UltraMag. The problem with the UltraMag cases is pressures soar at 118 degrees and the primer pockets no longer will hold primers after one firing. This was true with factory ammo also Remington sent me.
    Walmart, Remington 338 Ultra Mag HERE

If I don't get rifles, funds will surely end up at the Nordstrom ladies shoe counter if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 06-05-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Boolit Man
    For long range shooting you need several things to come together for success. A scope that is up to the task. I don't think you can see too good. A capable rifle that must be a shooter. An accurate bullet for the task at hand. I like the 7 mag. You will need a range finder that wont fail you. Last but not least, time on the trigger. Must be able to dile up elevation, make wind corrections and make a good shot.

Boolit Master

It really bothers me to see someone plan on sniping deer at that range. People do it but ethically, I feel it is too far- especially for someone who doesn't have a lot of trigger time. Regardless of the platform you use, you are going to need a very solid rest and a decent trigger.
    At one with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    It really bothers me to see someone plan on sniping deer at that range. People do it but ethically, I feel it is too far- especially for someone who doesn't have a lot of trigger time.
    Were you addressing me sir?

Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    Duke..... I did not realize you were that experienced behind a rifle. You can understand my warning to someone not familiar with long range hunting but you have DEFINATELY had the trigger time, so for what it is worth, I feel better. Please dont think I was doubting you personally.
    Were good sir. No offence taken. Thanks for being the devils advocate and speaking in defense of the Deer/Elk's humane kill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast