WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Cast Boolit Load for Mini 14

Question Cast Boolit Load for Mini 14

I have a lyman 225646 55gr Mold. I tried some loads using green dot, data provided by lyman. The loads won't cycle my action though. They have some loads listed using 748, but for plinking I don't want to have to use 25-30grs of powder. I usually save my 748 for hunting loads. I also have about 20lbs of Acc 2230. I would like to develop a load using the Acc 2230 but can't find any data. I was going to try reducing some jacketed loads and see if that works. Anyways, just wanted some opinions.

Calhunter

Quote Originally Posted by Calhunter View Post
    I have a lyman 225646 55gr Mold. I tried some loads using green dot, data provided by lyman. The loads won't cycle my action though. They have some loads listed using 748, but for plinking I don't want to have to use 25-30grs of powder. I usually save my 748 for hunting loads. I also have about 20lbs of Acc 2230. I would like to develop a load using the Acc 2230 but can't find any data. I was going to try reducing some jacketed loads and see if that works. Anyways, just wanted some opinions.

Calhunter
    Problem is both 2230 and 748 are ball powders that won't work well at all in loads that aren't near full power. For cast bullets in the .223 you're going to have to use a different powder. Try 12 grains of IMR (or H) 4227 or 9 grains of Blue Dot. Find a load that shows acceptable accuracy than work up slowly and carefully to try to get it to the point of functioning your action. And yes, reduced jacketed loads will work fine. I shot 12 grains of 4227 behind a 55 grain Hornady and it would one hole'm (with respect to StarMetal) at 50 yards. Velocity should have been about 2100. This was in a Contender Carbine.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Agree. Looks about right. ... felix
    felix

Thanks a bunch. I have a couple lbs of blue dot lying around so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Thanks Again

Calhunter

Boolit Grand Master

Two Mini 14s I've had in the past functioned with 18 gr H4895 under 55 gr cast bullets with reasonable accuracy.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I am wondering if anyone has had trouble with leading in the gas port? I shot some using WC820 and the result was a soldered together gas block.
    I bet if I used real rifle powder that problem might go away.

Smile

I can't think of the guy's handle right now, but one of the regulars over on Accurate Reloading is a big booster of Blue Dot in the .223. Look around in the "Favorite Loads" section.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Quote Originally Posted by Lee W View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has had trouble with leading in the gas port? I shot some using WC820 and the result was a soldered together gas block.
    I bet if I used real rifle powder that problem might go away.

"Glued together" might be more correct. It was likely a mixture of lube and powder fouling.

Boolit Buddy
    It was lead. I needed to use a pick to dig the bushing out and the gunk was silver.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I can't think of the guy's handle right now, but one of the regulars over on Accurate Reloading is a big booster of Blue Dot in the .223. Look around in the "Favorite Loads" section.
    that guy was/is Seafire/B17G or something like that....
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Smile

Yeah, that's him.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."