WidenersRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Scope for 17HMR

Boolit Bub

Scope for 17HMR

I'm looking for a new scope for my Savage 93R17 and I think I have narrowed it down to one of the following Mueller scopes. Will mostly be doing target shooting but some squirrels, ground hogs, etc.... at ranges out to about 200 yards. Looking for opinions and/or alternatives.

8.5x25x44 Tactical
    4.5x14x40 APT
    4x16x50 Tactical
    8x32x44 Target

Thanks
    Colt Army Special
    Sig P226
    Sig P239
    S&W 36
    Taurus M66
    Remington 1911 R1

I have the third one coming in about a week. I'll let you know.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

I have 2 of the Mueller 4.5-14x 40 APV scopes. 1 on my 17HMR Marlin and 1 on my 17 HMR Savage. I love them !
    They are perfect for the range of the 17 and I have had no issues.
    I got mine here...free sunshade with it. http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Bub

Thanks for the replies. I think I have narrowed it down to either the 8.5x25 or the 4x16. Also, thanks for the link to Mizzou Mule Guns!! Good prices!!

Greg
    Colt Army Special
    Sig P226
    Sig P239
    S&W 36
    Taurus M66
    Remington 1911 R1

Boolit Master

4x16 is more than adequate for me.

Longwood
    I like my BSA "Sweet Seventeen" because of the dual setting for two bullet weights.
    It is very nice looking has great features and is as clear a scope as I have.

http://www.adorama.com/BSS17618X40S....ource=dealtime
    Last edited by Longwood; 07-17-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Boolit Bub

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I decided to go with the 8.5x25x44 and it will be here tomorrow, just in time for a weekend project.

Greg
    Colt Army Special
    Sig P226
    Sig P239
    S&W 36
    Taurus M66
    Remington 1911 R1

Boolit Master

I would have went with a 6x 24 I had a 10x by 40 and at times I had wished I had less magnification on the lower end. I now have a 6x24 which replaced the 10x40 as it became defective and the 6x24 is much better as far as general usage goes. I mounted that on my cast shooter which is a 30-06. With my 22 LR I went with the Sweet 22 3x9 is more than enough for a 22 LR.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by gchapman1965 View Post
    Thanks for the input and suggestions. I decided to go with the 8.5x25x44 and it will be here tomorrow, just in time for a weekend project.

Greg
    I think that is too much scope for that little Savage.
    My BSA Sweet Seventeen is only 4-12 X 40 and it is more scope than the little 17 really needs.
    The multi grain feature is also a HUGE plus.
    The previous link I gave you is a poor one. Check out the BSA,,, I think you will like the special features.
    I did quite a bit of internet looking then went to two big dealers and looked at a lot of scopes (close to 100) before I decided.

Boolit Bub

As far as I can tell Mueller doesn't make a 6x24. I debated between the 4.5x16 and the 8.5x25 and decided that for what I want to do the 8.5x25 would work best for me. The guy that sold me the Savage was trying to get me to get the Sweet 17 and I really like the concept of the calibrated turrets, but the majority the reviews that I read were not good. The majority of the reviews that I've read about Mueller were good. As much as I like the concept of the Sweet 17, I'm not willing to take the risk and get stuck with another dud scope. The Mueller is replacing an old junkie scope. It sounds like jh45gun and Longwood got some good BSA scopes, but my luck usually doesn't go that way so I went with the better odds, as far as brand goes. If money was not an issue, I would have gotten a Nikon Buckmasters 6x18.

Greg
    Colt Army Special
    Sig P226
    Sig P239
    S&W 36
    Taurus M66
    Remington 1911 R1

Boolit Master

That is odd all the reviews I have read on the Sweet series have been positive. I am talking about reviews at the sites that sell the scopes. I take forum chatter with a grain of salt. If you listened to folks here no one would own a Taurus and my 85 is a great carry gun. Same with my Henry a few years ago the Marlin/Winchester/Browning folks were bashing the Henry guns all over the place. Now Henry is going strong and Winchester 9422's are no more I seldom ever see a Browning lever gun and that goes for Marlin 39's also. Every one has a view on whats best but for a hunting gun a lot of times less is more.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Bub

... but for a hunting gun a lot of times less is more ...

I agree completely, but as my original post says the primary use for this gun is going to be target shooting and occasional hunting. I wanted a higher magnification so I can see those tiny little holes in the paper. My eyes aren't what they use to be.

Greg
    Colt Army Special
    Sig P226
    Sig P239
    S&W 36
    Taurus M66
    Remington 1911 R1

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    That is odd all the reviews I have read on the Sweet series have been positive. I am talking about reviews at the sites that sell the scopes. I take forum chatter with a grain of salt.

I used to belong to a sight about Ultralight airplanes that had a expert that would talk trash about certain planes.
    It turned out that he is an wheelchair bound invalid from Alaska that has never owned a plane or even flown one.

My Sweet Seventeen is not only "Sweet",,, I have had her for over two years now, and she still looks Seventeen...
    I can switch back and forth between bullet weights and it comes in way more handy than I though it ever would.
    I popped a Raven with it yesterday. I gave him a chance (NOT!) and went for the head.
    I was impressed....
    Can't say the same for the big black bird.
    He was eying me and I swear I saw him begin to duck just before the little pill went through his ear. I think he saw it coming.
    My range finder said 140 yards.

Boolit Bub

I'm glad that you guys like your BSA scopes and that they are working out great for you. But for my needs I feel that the Mueller scope will work better for me and what I want to do.

....I popped a Raven with it yesterday....

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
    Colt Army Special
    Sig P226
    Sig P239
    S&W 36
    Taurus M66
    Remington 1911 R1

Boolit Master

Nice shot! Yea there are a lot of key board commando's online that bash products that have never owned them. They some one else picks up on it and pretty soon a lot of trash talk comes out. I am 60 years old I have owned TWO expensive scopes in that time a Burris Pistol scope and a Leupold M8 4x that I have on my Henry 22 mag. In all those years I have never had a cheap scope fail me of any brand and the Tasco that just failed me cost a 150 bucks while not expensive I would not consider that cheap either. In reality both the Burris and the Leupold are not that high priced either in the scheme of things.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gchapman1965 View Post
    I'm glad that you guys like your BSA scopes and that they are working out great for you. But for my needs I feel that the Mueller scope will work better for me and what I want to do.

....I popped a Raven with it yesterday....

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
    I am sure it will but I will tell you one thing with the higher power settings you better be benched well as it is really hard to hold a them steady offhand. Which is why the 10x40 I had was a poor choice for me the guy who told me to buy it shoots silhouette and I listened to his advice maybe he can hold at high power off hand but I cannot I tend to over compensate for the movement. With a scope on a lower power you still move as much the the scope does not show it as bad.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    I am sure it will but I will tell you one thing with the higher power settings you better be benched well as it is really hard to hold a them steady offhand. Which is why the 10x40 I had was a poor choice for me the guy who told me to buy it shoots silhouette and I listened to his advice maybe he can hold at high power off hand but I cannot I tend to over compensate for the movement. With a scope on a lower power you still move as much the the scope does not show it as bad.
    I agree,,, watching my heart beat jump the crosshair all over the target, is not a big help when I am shooting. Too much power can be annoying and hard to work with.
    I bought a little Lowall in 17HMS a few weeks ago I have a 2 power short Malcolm on it now (mainly for looks and it was a bitch to make a mount for).
    I plan on using the rifle to hunt with and I shoot offhand a lot,,, so it will got a cheap little 2.5 power BSA that only cost me about $22 new. The gun came with holes and rings so it is a snap to mount.

Boolit Master

I have a Mueller APV on my 93R17 BTVS, a Center Point 4 x 16 from Wally World on my 93R17 FV its a tack driver I did use Burris Signature rings and not the center point rings. Last I have a BSA Sweet 17 on my little Mossberg 802 makes a nice handy knock around rifle.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master

This was shoot with the Center Point on the Savage 93R17 FV, 25 rounds shot back to back at a 100 yards.

U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master

Nice shooting Tom