RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming about my next squirrel gun. What do you like?

Boolit Grand Master

Dreaming about my next squirrel gun. What do you like?

I am at some point in the future going to buy a new squirrel gun. I like the 22LR cartridge.
    I bought a CZ 452 ultra lux and it shot like a lazer, but it was long and heavy. I owed a friend more favor than I could pay back in 10 years, so I gave him that rifle to even up the score.
    I have a .22 cricket that will get me by for the moment, but hunting in Arkansas often requires a quick follow up shot. I dont care for the 10/22 at all.
    I want something that is light, medium length, semi-auto, instinctive, tube fed, cheap, and surprisingly accurate with the right ammo.
    I like the marlin mod 60. I also saw a savage that looked pretty strait.
    Where should my mind be wandering in this search for this snappy little tack driver?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Well since no-one else will offer a suggestion, I will give you one. I really like Remington 22's, I like the 550 and 552, both are tube fed auto loaders. The 550 and 550-1 are older out of production guns but the 552 is still being produced. Both guns will shoot and feed short, longs and longrifles. I have both that were purchased used and enjoy shooting them both but favor the older 550 over the 552. For a world of info on 22's visit
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=21&order=desc
    this is the Remington forum on that site. There are forums for allot of different manufactures. I enjoy reading that forum almost as much as I do this site.

wcp

Boolit Master
    Well, goodsteel, you asked; however my Remington is magazine fed with 10 round mags and I have 6 of these for my green nylon Apache 77. I taped the mags together with some electrical tape and when I finish off one mag, all ya got to do is turn it around for 10 more shots. This rifle shoots great and I can hit a dime at 75 yds. with iron sights.

My dad has a 10/22 from Ruger with a scope on it and I can always out shoot him with him using the scope. I simply love my little Remington and now I think my wife has claimed it as her own. Lol. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Longwood
    You say you like the Marlin model 60, so like the guy in the Hahn beer commercials,,, "What"?
    My friends will shoot ten into a raged hole at 30 yards.
    He usually leaves his 10-22 in the case unless someone else want to shoot.
    The 10-22 is cuter but,,,
    "So"?

Boolit Bub

Scout

You liked the CZ Ultra Lux but it was too long, go get a CZ Scout. Exact same action but made for youths with a shorter barrel and stock. Put one of those rubber butt pads on it to lengthen the pull, add a nice 3X9 scope and go kill some squirrel. The Scouts are just as accurate as the longer CZs.

How about a 510-511-512 Remington?
    I think all the 500 family are shooters.
    Got a 511 off an online seller, turned out it had a bulged barrel, so with pipe cutter-sawzall-file I reduced the barrel to 17" and it acts like it reallly wants to shoot, just outside an inch at 25.
    When I will get it correctly crowned and threaded and put a can on it I expect it will be a dark day for tree rats.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Boolit Grand Master

The Scouts are just as accurate as the longer CZs.
    Yeah, in fact more so in my opinion, but thats a bolt gun and much as I like the inherent accuracy, they are slow. Now I'm not a spray and pray kind of guy, but in Arkansas, there is about 2 months out of the year when anything you are shooting at is not buried in foliage. Being able to do a double tap makes a huge difference here in how many squirrels end up in the bag.
    Also, thats more than I want to spend.

Boolit Grand Master
    I want something that is light, medium length, semi-auto, instinctive, tube fed, cheap, and surprisingly accurate with the right ammo.
    I like the marlin mod 60.
    Problem solved, get a Model 60.

Every Model 60 that I have been around shot well, be it the old cheap Glenfield version or the Marlin branded ones. Most pawn shops have a few in stock for low money if you don't want to buy new. The older ones have a longer magazine, too.

I sold my tricked out 10-22 and kept the stainless Model 60ss.

Robert

Boolit Master

Icclower
    If I must hit a target I always reach for my old Remington 510. One Sunday morning I looked out the kitchen window and saw a skunk rooting in my back yard. Old stinky boy had take up residents under my shed and I had been trying to get him for awhile. I grabbed the 510 and a couple of shells and started sneaking up on him. I got within about 25 feet of him when he heard me and turned around to charge me, one shot between the eyes save me from getting sprayed. The old Remington's always seem to be very accurate.

wcp

Marlin Model 60 for a semi or maybe a Stevens Crackshot. These are my favorites. 8)

I mainly use the Model 60 when leaves are on the trees and I need the scope. Otherwise it's the crackshot.

***edit***
    Thought I'd add that this is what my model 60 does with CCI minimags at 30 yards fired as fast as I can shoot with an elbow rest.

Last edited by tacklebury; 05-11-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Those are hard numbers to argue with. I think I'm gonna end up going that way (model 60 that is)

Boolit Master
    HUMMM! I don't know why but my favorites are old ones. Glenfield M25, Rem. Speedmaster, Stevens 87A , and Nylon 66. Those are my favorite squirrel guns. All but one are older than me and passed down from each Grandpa and Dad. My son especially likes the Savage.
    Last edited by 375RUGER; 07-23-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have to admit, I have wanted a nylon 66 for years. The problem is, that now they are a collectors item and are going for pretty good money for what they are.
    Tell you the truth, I used to have a Winchester model 290 that would shoot 1/2" group at fifty yards with iron sights. I gave it to a good friend of mine. Its one of the few things I regret giving away, because that rifle realy was all that and a bag of chips. Once again though, I paid $80 for that rifle in a pawn shop and thought that was a fair price for what it was, and no guarantee of the accuracy. Last 290 I saw they wanted $200 bucks for, and it had rust on it!

Boolit Master

That'll!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Man

22s I like

I like the remington 510 and 511 bolt action. I like the old familar look. They shoot good and shoot about anything and a have good long sight radius. They are wood and steel.

Boolit Grand Master

Has anyone bought a SS Model 60 from walmart in the past 2 years? If so, what were your impressions? Good accuracy?
    I only ask because if I buy a used one, there's a pretty good chance it came from wal-mart. I would never intentionally buy from wal-mart; I have been burned too many times.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 60ss is more like twenty years old, made in 95 to be exact; but it shoots like a Marlin should. Last winter I compared it to an old Remington 581 that has had a bit of work done to it and a CZ 452.

The bolt guns out shot it, but not by much. I think most of the difference was in the triggers.

Robert

Boolit Master
    The mod 60 is a good squirrel getter,,, but for fun i shoot my Henry 22 mag ,it's right on the button although not a snappy as the mod 60 it sure is a ton of fun to take out and get em....
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm just after a meat gun that can give me an accurate double tap. 10/22 is for fun and I have owned one before. I also really enjoy single shot guns, but the limitations of both platforms make them unsuitable for my style of hunting.
    I'm surprised that Savage semi-autos have no comment here. No bueno?

Boolit Mold
    My Marlin 60 had been my squirrel gun for the last 17 years. I decided to move to a bolt gun last year and found a BRNO #1 that I thought would be the replacement, but ended up using the Marlin. Earlier this year I acquired both a Remington 510 and a 511, so I'll have to spend the summer figuring out which I want to use.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast