MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I get rid of fliers in my groups

G'day Mick,

That is right, it is the big gum trees that are the trouble. I just go straight through small trees like this snow gum. The stag that was trying to hide behind it did not know I was carring my .338. Fixed him, eh?

The young fellow loves to wind me up with these messages. He actually picked up two small cast antlers together at a good wallow. He was very proud of himself but I pointed out it must have been a pretty ugly deer as both antlers were from the right side!

Nardoo

Thanks to all for the great advice. I will try everything except the nose punch. I abhor violence.

Nardoo

Boolit Master
    It is obvious that your barrel is not bent properly. You can do this with one of two methods; First is to find two trees growing very closely together. Slip the barrel between them and apply pressure. You can bend barrels in any desired direction with this method. The second method, while not as precise, will be completely understood by all who observe....While at the range, with gun unloaded after firing, grasp rifle by muzzle and whack the shooting bench untill the rifle responds with proper groups. If the rifle breaks before giving accepable groups, return to maker, demand a full refund as it is obvious that their equipment is defective as it won't group and breaks when attempting to adjust it. I've done this with several scopes that wouldn't hold zero and produced those pesky fliers.

Boolit Buddy
    You have entered the realm of why we all follow this hobby, the little intangibles that your pictures show. At first I thought "He's pulling the trigger to hard", but on closer examination I now realize, it's wind effect groups, notice how the tips kinda point in the same direction? It's these little things like this that often spell the difference between success or failure at the range. Never the less keep up the quest, "Your getting there"!!!

Boolit Master
    Great Nardoo...Just do like I have done with some boolits that just don't seem to shoot. Since I know it can't be me or my loads as I have way too much experience etc. etc., I have been shooting "one-shot" groups (versus those silly 3 & 5 shot groups you see posted all the time here). See how the size shrinks when ya try it.

Nardoo
    These guy's don't want to tell you, you need to aneal your brass best I can tell. Other then that I see no reason to get fliers, you could also try a Lee crimp die. Range scraps work for me.. Keep the faith, mybe you should put those rounds on ebay bet you would get big $$$$$$ for them.

Buckshot could you make a jig for HP Nardoo's Lead?????

Don

Boolit Master

Nardoo, who cut the mould for you? I get my share of fliers as well so I must have that mould , but can't seem to locate it at the moment. I remember others mentioning fliers too, so it must have been a group buy...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Nardoo,

I think you're cutting the sprues too soon!

Boolit Master
    You guys all missed it !!!!! Those bullets just are not shiney enough. I think you are either going to have to tumble them in your case cleaner for a couple of hours or you are going to have to find some range scrap that has been exposed to the elements a little longer. Another thought is to lay them in your driveway and let them age awhile longer. The repeated sunshine and rain not to mention the occasional passing dog should clean that range scrap up plenty. You must keep notes of what kind of dogs are loose in your neighborhood and whether or not they are meat fed canines. Meat fed canines produce more nitrates in their urine and you will need to reduce your powder loads accordingly.
    Nighthunter

After reading another long thread here,I think the answer is those bullets were designed for a Freedom Arms gun and wont work in any other brand. Send some to 44 man and see if it will fix the problem he has been working on.

Banned

OH yes, that would fix the thing right away. No wonder the gun won't shoot, my boolits don't look as good. But I have to agree that they have to have more shine.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    There's a technical plubnumium term for drooping boolitos like those. I forgot what kind of projectile disfunction it was called though. The viable solution was adding 40 milligrams of moldagra to the hot lead as least an hour before casting.
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Super Moderator

"Buckshot could you make a jig for HP Nardoo's Lead?????"

Don

................You bet, no sweat! Left handed, drunk, with my eyes closed

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

You need more obturation. In the 45/70, the easiest way to get it is with a 50-50 duplex load of 700X and Bullseye. About 60 grains oughta do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12