Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionPBcastco
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mange Cure: Dunk dog in used motor oil.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    My sister had some 15 year old friends come down with a terrible case of crabs. They used Raid to kill the infestation. I wonder if Raid uses some kind of motor oil?

A very good friend of mine was the chemist who invented Raid.

I'll ask him next time i see or talk to him, if I can remember.

Boolit Master
    I used to know some people that swore that bacon drippings would work to stop the mange..FWTW....Wes
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    Finally, they asked an old man what Vietnamese did with mange. He said they'd dunk the dog completely under a full drum of used engine oil. All the way to the bottom for as long as you dare.
    Ah, yes!
    Obviously, the old man was a member of that group of jungle-based insurgent animal doctors known as the vet cong ...

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 05-10-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

In Remembrance
    I knew a wetback that got the crabs, he tried several pesticides that didn't work, I don't know which brands.
    He finally used GASOLINE and it took care of the crab problem but burnt him so that he walked pretty bow legged for a week or so. lol

Boolit Master

The oil remedy has been around for eons and it does work, dunking the dog is hardly necessary since a simple wipe-down does the trick. Also a vet that was discussing doing this, he would not recommend it for obvious reasons but did admit it works, said to NEVER use used motor oil since depending on the type and amount of contamination it could be lethally toxic to the dog, clean fresh oil works just as well and is not nearly as poisonous.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Not good. From the Raid MSDS

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS. HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. CAUTION: Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through skin. Avoid breathing spray mist. Avoid contact with skin or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. provide adequate ventilation of area to be treated. Do not apply to humans, pets, plants or contaminate feed, foodstuffs, dishes or utensils. cover and avoid spray fish aquarium. Cover or remove exposed food, dishes, or utensils and food handling equipment. Keep out of reach of children. STATEMENT OF PRACTICAL TREATMENT: Do not induce vomiting. Call a physician or a poison control center immediately. Eyes: flush with plenty of water. Skin: Wash promptly with soap and water. Get medical attention if irritation persists or develops. Inhaled: Remove victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if indicated. NOTE TO PHYSICIANS: Product contains petroleum distillates (aspiration hazard). PHYSICAL OR CHEMICAL HAZARDS: FLAMMABLE. CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE. Keep away from heat, sparks, open flame or pilot light. Do not puncture or incinerate container. Exposure to temperatures above 130 deg F may cause bursting.

Yes MSDS sheets are a good source of information when dealing with most dangerous substances such as this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails msds_on_women.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Yes MSDS sheets are a good source of information when dealing with most dangerous substances such as this one.
    Very nice

I was raised in the rural deep south. very common to do this. And it DOES work. It has been around for at least 50 years as a treatment.

Like you say- the dog really doesnt want to be treated a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    I figured in Vietnam, the dogs get the mange, the dogs became supper for some hungry Vietnamese.
    Wonder what breed they prefer? I hear the Chinese/Koreans are partial to German Shephards. Don't know if thats true or not, just what I heard many yrs ago
    B.O. says that pit bulls are very tasty!

Boolit Bub
    Years ago, I used mineral oil to clear up ring worm on 4-H calves. Just rubbed it on with my hands.
    Gun control = hitting the target!

Banned

olive oil works too

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Ah, yes!
    Obviously, the old man was a member the group of jungle-based insurgent animal doctors known as the vet cong ...

CM

Boolit Master

The same principle is applied to fruit trees.
    It is recommended that fruit trees be sprayed in February with "Dormant Oil". This oil seeps into the bark and smothers mites and insects and eggs that reside there during the winter.

In Remembrance
    So, if you soak your dog with dormant oil, will he go into hibernation?
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    B.O. says that pit bulls are very tasty!
    No one ever told him "pit" bull was the breed, not the method of preparation.................
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

I believe most of them mites or what ever breath through their body so any type of a good oil will kill them. but then again I could be wrong. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    The oil remedy has been around for eons and it does work, dunking the dog is hardly necessary since a simple wipe-down does the trick. Also a vet that was discussing doing this, he would not recommend it for obvious reasons but did admit it works, said to NEVER use used motor oil since depending on the type and amount of contamination it could be lethally toxic to the dog, clean fresh oil works just as well and is not nearly as poisonous.
    I suppose that may be true for humans, too. I understand used motor oil works for pink eye. At least that was what a girlfriend claimed she used to clear up her problem.

Boolit Master

Deisel fuel kills ticks, fleas and cures mange. It also will aid in healing of cuts. Walnut hulls kills the above and works well on ring worms.

I am currently using permathone in the cattle oiler for flys and what ever else crawls on the cattle. Mixed to directions amd sprayed on clothes it keeps the ticks and chiggers off me. The sane stuff that comes in the high dollar spray can in the sporting goods store.

Used motor oil from the old high sulfer deisel engines kills fleas ticks and mange quickly on dogs, apperently better for them than the pests.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Isn't used motor oil loaded with carcinogens?

http://www.safety-kleen.com/MSDS/81451rev9-20-07.pdf

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    A very good friend of mine was the chemist who invented Raid.

I'll ask him next time i see or talk to him, if I can remember.
    You might ask him which of the couple dozen formulations, active ingrediants, diluents, inert ingrediants, and propellants he "invented".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast