RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingPBcastcoLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mange Cure: Dunk dog in used motor oil.

Boolit Buddy
    A guy i worked for when i was in High School had a German Shepard that spent all day under the house and on patrol all night .He caught mange and the vet said it was from the dirt under the house because the sun never gets to it and its a good place for the mites to live . That dog smelled like he had been dead for a month till it cleared up. Arnie

Banned

I can just see a dog painted with lard and sulfur. It would have every bit of it licked off in about ten minutes!

Gear

Boolit Master

Mange, ticks, mites, etc

When I was growing up my father worked in the old fields of East-central Ky. Every spring he would take any dog we had - and we always had a dog and a cat or two for keeping mice and rats under control - and he would take the dog by the head, thumbs covering the dog's eyes, and dip the dog into a tank of raw crude oil. Ticks, fleas and mange were never a problem.

Boolit Mold
    Dear Ted, Never heard of dunking the dog to the bottom of the oil drum, but I have personally cured 2 pure breds with used motor oil and sulfur.....had them shots for it....used Happy Jack spray....they only got balder....Got my nerve up (I'm a woman and hate the idea of oil and a mangy dog), donned my Playtex gloves, mixed a box of sulfur in the contents of my drained oil from an oil change.....applied the mixture all over their bodies...including their genitalia...both were boys....all around their eyes inside the ear flaps....all of their bodies....rubbed it in really well as I went....tied them up until the oil wore off...all their hair came back beautifully....this is a cure that I personally know has worked since in the mid fifties.....Now all those animal rights people might dub this a cruel.....that's your opinion, but personally, I think it is way more cruel to leave an animal with mange.....NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD A VET BILL.....and few people will even touch a mangy dog to take one in.....JUST SAYING.....

Super Moderator

Hello Carol,

Welcome to Cast Boolits! This is kind of an old thread, but we all sincerely appreciate your contribution to it. I will remember this remedy. I never had a dog that had mange, but if it ever happens I will look up this thread. Thank you for joining us.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    Thread cutting oil is high sulfur. It might work, but boy...would they stink !
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master
    What about 90-Wt gear oil that does in the differential of rear-drive vehicles? I sure wouldn't ever DUNK a dog in petroleum products, but spot-treating might work. Like many other things suggested, it WILL stink to
    high heaven, but just might work.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Lard oil and sulphur works well. The sulphur tastes bad enough that the dog will quit licking after a bit.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-12-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Out here,dogs get a type of demodectic mange from horses thats near incurable.even with modern systemic poisons .There no need to dunk your dog,spraying with a soluble oil does the same thing,just keep the fur oily all the time,not dripping.This was the reason for old timers having "greasy hair"and hair oils.Discourages head lice,which are still very common in some areas.The demodectic horse mange persists on the ground for ten years or more after horses are gone,which gives an idea how tough it is.

An astringent, like 'Sea Breeze' is QUITE effective on pests such as lice, and does not expose the infected to caustic poisons such as are contained in products like 'Rid-Ex'.

But 'Sea Breeze' is not approved for lice control. You draw your own conclusions.

As for mange, I've no direct experience with it. But I should think the oil imparts a smothering effect, and the carcinogens contained in used oil are not the curative ingredients.

But what do I know? Again, I'd suggest you draw your own conclusions.

I can not afford to take dogs and cats to the vet, either. 'Why do you have them, then?' you ask? Not my idea. Help me figure out how to keep 'civilized folk' from dumping their problems on my road, and I'll not have dogs and cats.

Might as well figure out how to eliminate the National Debt and cure cancer whilst we're at it, eh? BAH!

So it goes.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 11-12-2017 at 04:10 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Can remember my Father dipping them in a barrel of creosote, holding onto the ears and dunking them in it. The creosote was thin like water and they would shake it off like when they get wet. Used borax mixed in water for people pink eye. Iodine for ringworms on cattle. Put kerosene on cuts and wounds on people, didn't burn like alochol.To cure warts on cattle, crush the wart with wire pliers and the body will make anti-bodies to destroy them. Lots of old time cures that are cheaper than visits to the vet. Sulfur mixed with Vaseline makes a good wound protector for livestock also.

Boolit Master
    one grand son cae back from his worthless mother with scabies. parents spent a ton of money to cure them. two weeks later after a visit. he came home with them again. they were going to have to spend the money again. then I remembered what my grandfather did when I had chiggers. wipe then spots down with kerosene worked better then the meds. the doctor was prescribing.

Boolit Master
    I know that Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) will kill Ticks so it stands to reason that Oil might kill Mites.Aparently with the Ticks they breath through their skin but when smeared with Vaseline they expire.

Boolit Master

Yes, wiping it on works well. Used motor oil is the best hog bait on the planet too. Pour it in a sandy area and there will soon be a wallow you can lose your truck in. They know instinctively it helps with bugs. Of course I have never done this as the EPA disapproves. They also love creosote posts to rub for the same reason.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Motor oil was the standard treatment when I was growing up. Usually, I held the dog while Dad applied it with a rag, rubbing it in several inches around the infected area.
    He used, used oil because it was free. I don't remember ever having to do a second treatment.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    My grandpa kept a jug of used oil with a couple spoonfuls of sulphur mixed in it to take care of mange an it worked well. An if I remember correctly he mixed sulfur with petroleum jelly for ring worm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Can remember my Father dipping them in a barrel of creosote, holding onto the ears and dunking them in it. The creosote was thin like water and they would shake it off like when they get wet. Used borax mixed in water for people pink eye. Iodine for ringworms on cattle. Put kerosene on cuts and wounds on people, didn't burn like alochol.To cure warts on cattle, crush the wart with wire pliers and the body will make anti-bodies to destroy them. Lots of old time cures that are cheaper than visits to the vet. Sulfur mixed with Vaseline makes a good wound protector for livestock also.
    I wonder how bad the creosote burn was, like a turpentine cat. Most chainsaw bar oils are vegetable based wonder if that would be better

"To cure warts on cattle, crush the wart with wire pliers and the body will make anti-bodies to destroy them."

I had this happen to a wart on my thumb, got smashed accidentally. I'd had it for a couple of years, nothing really touched it.

After getting smashed it bleed like crazy, hurt like the dickens for 3 days. But 2 months later it was gone and not even a sign it had been there. This works.

Boolit Master
    Growing up in the southern MO. Ozarks in a hunting dog family Ive seen and done lots of mangy dogs in used motor oil. It works great but the dog stays greasy for quite awhile.

A much better solution is automatic transmission fluid. I always used new instead of used. Dogs with lots of white would look pretty bloody for a day or two but in a few days would look normal. As soon as the bots hatched I coated them again. Just wiped it on with my hands.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

And then there is Scabies that get on sheep, people and whatever else I suppose. Caught a bunch of some of those little critters while sitting under a little tree near Carlsbad NM while Antelope hunting. Next time I went to the mountains to hunt elk, slept in the sleeping bag again and yep, had them little fellers again. It was hard to get rid of them then. Nearly all the stuff that is for sale to kill head lice, fleas, and etc. have a product called Permethrin at 1% levels. Permethrin 36.8% SFR can be purchased online. Mix it to 1% in water in a pump up sprayer use it for mosquitoes, fleas, mites, ticks or whatever. Hunters are now wetting their hunting clothes and let them dry completely before wearing them. Repels seed ticks and the limes disease carrying ticks. Saw a demonstration of a tick placed in the center of a 6 inch square of blue denim treated thusly. It began to crawl off. Didn't make it to the edge before dying.
    My Brother-in-law was a guager of oil tanks near Henrietta Texas and had coon dogs and if they got mange, they were pitched into a slushpit of tank bottoms and had to swim out. Got rid of mangemites.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast