Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mange Cure: Dunk dog in used motor oil.

Mange Cure: Dunk dog in used motor oil.

I was reading an earlier thread, "Why do my dogs...", and ran across mange being mentioned a couple times.

Our dog was very sick from mange. We brought her in to the vet for a shot. He said she would have died without treatment. Later, our neighbor Howard was looking down at the poor dog and said he had a dog dieing of mange in Vietnam. He said there obviously were vets in Vietnam with all the guard and scout dogs running around but they had no clue how to find one. Finally, they asked an old man what Vietnamese did with mange. He said they'd dunk the dog completely under a full drum of used engine oil. All the way to the bottom for as long as you dare.

Howard said they finally panicked and shoved the dog in a drum of used motor oil. The dog was cured!

Have any of you heard of this?

TED

He may have been cured cause he didn't want to be dunked again, maybe?

Boolit Master
    I have never heard of that. I might have to look up home vet remedies.

If that was all I had, I would sure try it. Mange is cause by a mite or scabies, so if one could wipe them out, it might help.

In Remembrance
    That's all we did years ago, only we never dunked them, just wiped them down with it. lol

Boolit Buddy

That's a new one on me! found this http://youtu.be/kF406lVfldo

Boolit Grand Master
    Grandaddy would 'paint' a Mangy dog with burnt oil using a 2" paint brush. The dog would be shut up in a kennel to keep it from rolling in the dirt. It sure cured the Mange, though.

Boolit Master
    I used to help my Dad wipe down dogs with the mange. I do remember it working. I wouldn't dunk the dog.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Grandaddy would 'paint' a Mangy dog with burnt oil using a 2" paint brush. The dog would be shut up in a kennel to keep it from rolling in the dirt. It sure cured the Mange, though.

I remember my Dad using a rag to apply the oil, but yep, it cured the Mange.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Effective or not, I can picture the wide eyed TV Bimbos reporting on this "animal cruelty" right now. "Warning: this shocking footage is very graphic. Younger viewers may wish to leave the room."

In Remebrance

As I understand it the mange was cured by the oil suffocating the mites and the sulfur in the oil helped with the itch. Sulfur is good for lots of skin/hoof issues. Oil of any kind will kill lice, mites, ticks, etc given time. Cattle oilers are common still, but they use special vegetable oils IIRC.

Boolit Master
    I was told years ago, sulpher and lard, which would be more organicly friendly. there are two types of mange. sarocophtic and demodectic. one is caused by a mite. the oil kills the mites. I used a hog mange oil years ago and they took it off the market. there's a chanch of petroleum oils causing internal problems. dogs probably licked it off, too. whatever the risk, as long as it cured the immediate problem, I was satisfied.

Boolit Master

I figured in Vietnam, the dogs get the mange, the dogs became supper for some hungry Vietnamese.
    Wonder what breed they prefer? I hear the Chinese/Koreans are partial to German Shephards. Don't know if thats true or not, just what I heard many yrs ago

Boolit Master

Mange is caused by a Mite ...... an arachnid that some dogs are very allergic to. The oil would kill the mite. sounds reasonable to me. But I have to admit there has to be better treatments for that. But I had several old timers in the Ozarks tell me the same thing about motor Oil.

My sister had some 15 year old friends come down with a terrible case of crabs. They used Raid to kill the infestation. I wonder if Raid uses some kind of motor oil?

Boolit Grand Master

In humans coal oil than diesel fuel was used to kill head lice and crabs until after WWII. Today we have better products but in a SHTF scenario if my dog had the mange and I had the craps we would give it a try.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    My sister had some 15 year old friends come down with a terrible case of crabs. They used Raid to kill the infestation. I wonder if Raid uses some kind of motor oil?
    Not good. From the Raid MSDS

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS. HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. CAUTION: Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through skin. Avoid breathing spray mist. Avoid contact with skin or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. provide adequate ventilation of area to be treated. Do not apply to humans, pets, plants or contaminate feed, foodstuffs, dishes or utensils. cover and avoid spray fish aquarium. Cover or remove exposed food, dishes, or utensils and food handling equipment. Keep out of reach of children. STATEMENT OF PRACTICAL TREATMENT: Do not induce vomiting. Call a physician or a poison control center immediately. Eyes: flush with plenty of water. Skin: Wash promptly with soap and water. Get medical attention if irritation persists or develops. Inhaled: Remove victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if indicated. NOTE TO PHYSICIANS: Product contains petroleum distillates (aspiration hazard). PHYSICAL OR CHEMICAL HAZARDS: FLAMMABLE. CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE. Keep away from heat, sparks, open flame or pilot light. Do not puncture or incinerate container. Exposure to temperatures above 130 deg F may cause bursting.

I have always used old motor oil, but the last time i treated one of my dogs i mixed a pound of goex blackpowder and used motor oil. It cured the animal much faster than plain motor oil due to the amount of sulpher in blackpowder. I learned a lot from my granpa whom never seeked the advice of health professionals for his family including his animals as he had his own remedies and treatment.

Boolit Master
    Read up on different ideas last night. It seems most any oil or greasy substance will work. I myself would opt for a different type of oil than used motor oil if I had a choice.

Many also swear by borax mixed with hydrogen peroixide mixed into a paste.

Sulphur is mentioned a lot as well, to stop the itching.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Adjust the "killer/smothering" chemical to a ph of 7.2 using any additional chemical and the dog won't itch. I'd hate to use anything which is not edible, just in case. Like the movie said, got to be sure to kill the mite eggs as well with the concoction used. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if sheep get mange - or does the lanolin they produce help prevent it from occurring?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast