WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cheapest source of tin???

Moderator Emeritus

Cheapest source of tin???

Other than windfalls that fall into one's lap, what is the cheapest common source of tin? Danged if that stuff ain't gittin' rat spendy! My junk yards never seem to have any since I bought half a ton of lead and got some linotype by sheer luck in the deal.

Boolit Buddy Carolina Cast Bullets's Avatar
    you might try local thrift shops for pewterware. Make sure, however, that it isnt some antique piece that may have more value than its melt value.

Pewter is an alloy of tin, copper and some lead/antimony/copper, heavy on the tin. Exact percentages I dont know. From what I do know is that it is marked "pewter" and is not overly expensive

Other sources are Rotometals. they have pure tin as well as tin/lead solder

Jerry
    Carolina Cast Bullets
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional ! ! !

Boolit Buddy

Consider babbitt metal

Locally I've found some hi-speed babbitt metal that includes high tin content with a small amount of copper. The copper adds some hardness without water-dropping, and I'll only be using small amounts anyway for low-percent tin supplement.

I have had some luck finding rolls of solder at yard sales and flea markets, I have had a few rolls gifted to me, I think I have got some for $1.00 a roll, keep your eye out, you never know.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Boolit Master
    solder drippings from a local radiator shop.

Boolit Mold

tin

50/50 solder..not that lead free stuff now plumbers use.

Boolit Master

I get most of my tin from Linotype.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I use the lead free solder. Most if not all is 95% tin and 5% antimony. It's pretty pricy though.
    Since I trap most of my boolits I only add tin when I mix a new batch or my mold isn't filling out right.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Other than windfalls that fall into one's lap, what is the cheapest common source of tin? Danged if that stuff ain't gittin' rat spendy! My junk yards never seem to have any since I bought half a ton of lead and got some linotype by sheer luck in the deal.
    I watch Rotometals for when they have an overrun of a high tin special request. Their prices are market value but we always want a better deal don't we? They will periodically do a special allow run for a customer. They'll sell the extra for a bit less than market price. Then if you buy one hundred dollars or more the shipping is free.

Boolit Master
    If you only need a small amount,you can always get tin from lead free sinkers at most Wal Mart fishing tackle isles. They are 100% tin. One package of size 4 tin splitshot is enough to "flavor" about four pounds of lead to make it 2%.

Watch the Swapping and Selling Forum here. I bought enough monotype at $1.00 per pound, that I should never again have to buy any tin.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Look on eVil bAy (not in boolit casting area) in industrial or all categories for solder. I got two cake pan sized ingots of 60/40 solder for about 125 dollars each. 40 plus lbs each = about 3 dollars an lb.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Trade some lead to someone with a lot of tin and not much solder SN/PB.

Boolit Master

tin
    50/50 solder..not that lead free stuff now plumbers use.
    WHY? It's mostly 95% tin, even better than 50-50 solder. Mostly the 5% is antimony, another valuable element.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

I just bite the boolit(hee, hee) and get mine from RotoMetals...not cheap but what is anymore? I'm paying nearly $5.00 for a big of family size Doritos!
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master

Grainger industrial supply had Lead Free Solder on blow out a couple years back, and I got more than 100 pounds at about $5 a pound, delivered.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Pewter and solder.

I have a small supply. I hate scouring garage sales.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    WHY? It's mostly 95% tin, even better than 50-50 solder. Mostly the 5% is antimony, another valuable element.
    good point. {lead free solder}
    Last edited by packrat; 05-13-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by famdoc2892 View Post
    Locally I've found some hi-speed babbitt metal that includes high tin content with a small amount of copper. The copper adds some hardness without water-dropping, and I'll only be using small amounts anyway for low-percent tin supplement.
    +1. I happened to be talking to a metalurgist one day and mentioned my casting etc. He promptly showed me a large bearing he wanted to get rid of that was caked in tin based babbit. I ended up with MANY ingots and it alloys nicely with WW to sweeten it.

Also, my late father was a canister maker in his day; he could solder like a you wouldn't believe. When my folks down sized I scored all his solder. Lots of solder.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.