MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Swaging Lead Boolits

Boolit Master

Swaging Lead Boolits

I was poking around on RCE's website and saw that he offers a die to make that swages a 430 boolit with each pull of the handle. Now, my knowledge of swaging is small to say the least, so excuse my ignorance. How do you lube this boolit? Just curious.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

In Remembrance
    After they are made a lubricating liquid is poured over them which hardens and acts like lube. The boolit itself is generally of soft lead limiting the speed at which they can travel. Heck I have a box of Hornady swaged lead boolits for 38cal, although rather soft they have lube all over them.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

I knurl mine and tumble them in 45/45/10 or straight up LLA. or you can tumble your cores in powdered graphite and then just shoot them. ... I like knurling and LLA

Boolit Master

Is the "knurling" like a cannalure? So you swage the boolit, then apply a rough texture on the outside of the boolit, and apply alox to fill in the groove and provide the lubrication?
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

yep you got it

Boolit Master

I got my knurling tool from Corbin MFG ... Yea expensive but worth it IMO

Boolit Master
    I think lubing a smooth bullet is very tempermental. It can work very good for some and not at all for others. I think it has a lot to do with how well the bullet fits the bore. It has to be very close, too big and it all get scraped off.
    Last edited by MIBULLETS; 05-18-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Boolit Master

I've never done it but...

Heard you could use a file to roll a boolit on a bench top
    or something. Redneck knurling tool. Maybe a wood rasp
    would work?

Boolit Mold
    i shoot lead boolits for target in my 357 ruger security six my barrel throat is.3565 my smallest cylinder throat is 3580 i use a swaging die of .358 and a sizing die of 357 i use a lot of wheel weights in cast bullets(swc) these are too hard on my swaging dies but plumbers lead in my swaging dies( r n )and i have never had a leading problem the trick is to size the bullet a little larger than the barrel(slug the bore then slug the throat) then you get no blow by. hope this helps someone

Perm-Banned
    i both knarl then lube with alox and paperpatch smooth sided pure lead bullits. both work perfectly in my muzzleloader with a barrel made for each of these bullets. i use a starter for the knarled bullet and the paperpatch just slides down the bore. both corbin and rce helped me get started years ago.