Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .40 cal Mold Recommendations

Boolit Buddy

Thank You. I will look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    I have a paul jones spitzer with the front 2 driving bands at .400 that is very accurate in all of our 40/65 guns . you can seat it out with the .408 driving band just out of the case and get get 1200 fps easily with several powders he will make any dimension you want. it weighs 415 grains at 20:1,

Boolit Buddy
    I just put one of these BACO bullet molds up for sale. The front two bands are bore size (.400) and the driving bands cast at .409. It's on the swap/sell at a good price.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Browning in 40-65 win. The lyman snover mold had too little lube, the fouling would cake about 3 inches from the muzzle. Are you having the same problem with the snover molds. If not what brand of mold.

Boolit Master
    hiwall, I agree that the snover is short on lube but outshoots everything else I have. The Gunn nose and small grease grooves almost look like an early design for the money bullet. I gave up on the blow tube as we shoot a lot of matches at 100 deg plus and low humidity. With a 32" bbl I quickly fouled out with the style of blow tubing that I used.

Boolit Buddy
    Another mold to look at that comes up for sale used is the saeco 400,in my guns it shoots better than the snover and holds twice the lube.my buddy shoots mine with smokeless and it performs well with it too

here is a link to a thread about the Ron Long chamber / brass. It is not a "bottleneck cartridge" anymore than a 40-82 Crossno is a bottleneck cartridge, both started life as 40-65 cartridges and had length added for a particular reason. It will have the constant diameter at the web, taper down to the neck, and then the neck of course. If you are calling that a "bottleneck" it is incorrect. If you have a chamber that is a true bottleneck, then you have something different entirely. I seem to remember that the Ron Long chamber was derived so that 40-65 brass could be formed and you didn't have to trim all the excess off.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131612

this one has pics further down the page of true bottleneck cartridges

http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/idpics.htm

Boolit Master
    Me bad, I did say that my Ron Long imitation .40 chamber had a (bottle) neck of SORTS. Should say that it has a slight neck of sorts that is good for neck sizing and expanding for an exact neck tension where I have about .500" bullet in the case. I guess maybe Ron wanted this neck for the same reason?

Here is more confirmation about what I had remembered, ie: that the Ron Long chamber was so you didn't have to trim brass that was formed from 45-70 brass. It stayed long

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...73&postcount=2

a 40-82 Crossno has .300 added to the neck of a 40-65

dc

Boolit Bub
    In my C. Sharps .40-70 SS my best results have been with a Paul Jones "money" bullet (very similar to a snover nose) with the front two bands smaller (don't have the dimension memorized) than the rest which are 0.410". This lets the bullet set out farther (touching the lands) and then allows more powder capacity. Weighs 420-grains and MV is 1323 using 68.0 Swiss 1 1/2.

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12