MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Browning A Bolt Stalker SS in 300WSM

Boolit Master

Browning A Bolt Stalker SS in 300WSM

Hi Fellas & Gals
    Have an opportunity to buy a new Browning A-Bolt SS Stalker in 300WSM,over a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 300WSM,the Browning will be $300 dearer,but it does not faze me.

How good are the Browning rifles,specially the A-bolt Stalker?
    Are they a better rifle than the Weatherby Vanguard S2?
    opinions?

Thanks
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

I don't have any experience with the Weatherby's but have a good deal with the Brownings. I dearly love their shotguns but I have never been able to get an A-Bolt to shoot anywhere near as well as a Remington 700. At times the Brownies are frustrating to me. That's my 2 cents worth and as always YMMV. Personally, I think their small diameter, wimpy barrels have alot to do with it. I've had some Remingtons that didn't shoot well but they were an easy fix.
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

I had an A-bolt SS in 7 Remington mag, best shooting rifle I ever had, with its favorite load it was well under MOA. Best group was 1/2" at 200yards.

Both good rifles, buy the one that fits you and balances the best. Love the Tang safety on the A-Bolt.

I have 70 plus guns but my go to rough hard hunting rifle is a Browning SS Stalker in 300 Win mag. Used to be a 1/2" 3 shot gun up till about 1800 rounds now about 1-11/4" at 2800-2900rounds. Still minute of deer.

Boolit Master
    I had a Browning A-bolt hunter in 7mm Rem Mag back in the late 80s. It was a great rifle and I wished I still had it. I wasn't handloading back then and shot the cheapest stuff I could afford as a teenager which was usually Remington core-lokt ammo and it shot great. Sold it to my uncle when I moved back east so I could buy a slug gun since I couldn't hunt with a rifle.

The weatherby vangaurds are made by Howa and are a nice rifle as well. My buddy has one chambered in 300 Weatherby and he has shot some pretty impressive groups with it.

I say buy the one which fits you the best and you like the most.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input fellas,I think I will look at both and then decide
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master
    I've got a Browning SS .25-06 and Dad's got a .270WSM.
    I've got 2 loads for my .25-06 that'll consistently do a 1/2" at 100 yards (85grn Ballistic Tips w/ IMR4831 and 100grn partitions w/RL22).

The only time I really even tried to cut a group with Dad's it put 3 130 Ballistic Tips in 1/2"-3/4" (RL22 again). It'll do the same with Partitions. Dad's may be one of the best feeling rifles I've ever shouldered.

I've never tried cast in either rifle.

Having bragged up the Brownings, I'll also say, I've only fooled with one Vanguard (.257 WBY), and she ain't no slouch!!!!
    I've never heard anybody gripe about Vanguard's (Howa) accuracy.

Something else to be aware of; Browning uses a pretty tough thread locking agent on their stainless rifles. To the point custom gun outfits will tell you it's on you if the threads get galled while rebarreling. Something to consider if you plan on having something to "tinker" with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    I've got a Browning SS .25-06 and Dad's got a .270WSM.
    I've got 2 loads for my .25-06 that'll consistently do a 1/2" at 100 yards (85grn Ballistic Tips w/ IMR4831 and 100grn partitions w/RL22).

The only time I really even tried to cut a group with Dad's it put 3 130 Ballistic Tips in 1/2"-3/4" (RL22 again). It'll do the same with Partitions. Dad's may be one of the best feeling rifles I've ever shouldered.

I've never tried cast in either rifle.

Having bragged up the Brownings, I'll also say, I've only fooled with one Vanguard (.257 WBY), and she ain't no slouch!!!!
    I've never heard anybody gripe about Vanguard's (Howa) accuracy.

Something else to be aware of; Browning uses a pretty tough thread locking agent on their stainless rifles. To the point custom gun outfits will tell you it's on you if the threads get galled while rebarreling. Something to consider if you plan on having something to "tinker" with.
    Sounds good to me
    If I was too get a Browning,it would be for a hunting rig,not re-barreling or modifying,when I hunt it would only be fired to shoot what deer or game i was after,Sambar Deer,so probably in a year it would fire maybe 20 rounds,if that!
    Thanks for the input,appreciate it.
    Cheers

no34570