RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: .44 S&W American

.44 S&W American

Anyone know if it's still possible to get the RCBS bullet mentioned and used in MV's book 'Shooting Sixguns Of The Old West"?

I just had a look on their website and can't find anything about 'special orders', is that service still available?

Is anyone else making that heeled bullet design or can anyone else make that bullet for me?

Be greatful for any pointers.

Thanks in advance.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Boolit Bub
    I don't know if Buffalo Arms still carries the mould or not, but I got a great 2 cavity heeled bullet that I use in an original Frank Wesson .44 Civil War Carbine. It shoots extremely well with this. The only drawback is the lack of adequate grease grooves; I solve that with a grease cookie.

I don't have the mold in front of me so I can't give you weight and dimensions, but it sure works well out to 100yds for me. I'll try to get info tongiht.

Good luck in your quest. If Buffalo doesn't have what you want, NEI maybe?
    TRL

Thanks Timbo for that fast response.

Buffalo Arms do make their own mould for .44 S&W.

Thanks again.

Boolit Buddy
    You can try Bernie Rowles @ Old West Bullet Moulds. If he doesn't have what you want on hand, he can make it. He's made a couple custom heeled bullet moulds for me over the years. His prices are very reasonable, and his turnaround time is quick.

If this will be your first foray into reloading heeled bullets, don't overlook the fact that a regular crimp die won't work. But don't worry. Bernie can make one for you. You might want to also discuss lubing options as well.
    Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Semper Fi -

I will be perfectly honest, its' for a pal of mine who's just got a SAA in .44 S&W.

Thanks for the link and the info, I had read that they were a little tricky to reload and certain special crimp dies were needed.

It's all good fun though isn't it.
    Last edited by Gellot Wilde; 05-08-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Are you certain you want a heel type bullet? .45 S&W (Schofield) uses an inside lubricated bullet.

Boolit Master
    If anyone might be interested I have a new in the box, C-H Tool & Die 3-die set of .44 S&W American that I'd love to part with. GF

Boolit Grand Master

Both the 44 Russian and the 45S&W use internally lubricated bullets and are bored to the bullet diameter, not the case diameter. The 41 Colt and the 38 Colt and the 44 American use heeled bullets.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Apologies, my bad, my typo...I had .45 S&W American instead of .44 S&W in my last post.

It is for a SAA in .44 S&W 'American' and the mould is now on its' way c/o Buffalo Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Both the 44 Russian and the 45S&W use internally lubricated bullets and are bored to the bullet diameter, not the case diameter. The 41 Colt and the 38 Colt and the 44 American use heeled bullets.
    Thanks Wayne, I got confused on the caliber in question and locked in on .45 instead of .44.