Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Decapping Pins?

Decapping Pins?

I know this is probably a stupid question but I have run across several old Pacific,
    Bonanza and Bair dies. What kind of decapping pins do they use. I have several old style RCBS straight pins, will they work in these dies?

Thanks, Swamprat1052
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Master
    "I have run across several old Pacific, Bonanza and Bair dies. What kind of decapping pins do they use."

They varied. Best solution is to get a dedicated decapping die, Lee's is perhaps the strongest made.

Boolit Grand Master

Decapping pins

Swamprat1052

Saw your post the other day and made a mental note to go home and check pins in dies then totaly forgot, not a new thing lately, untill I spotted it again today....
    sorry for delay . Pacific and Bonanza dies both have straight pins just like RCBS and Redding. Do not have a set of Bair dies to check but I would guess it has straight pin also. I think the only maker that does not is Lyman, Thiers has a little head on it ( I could be mistaken on this )

If you have Bair dies just take it apart and see what kind of pin it has. The RCBS pins work fine in the others. I use them all the time.

Any time you can get these older dies do so , they are well made and usually under priced. I got a set of Bonanza dies in 41 mag for $17.00 when RCBS sold for more than twice as much. Not one person even bid on the Bonanza....and they are very nice.

gary

Thanks for the info guys, been busy myself, I will try to get those dies bought.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Master
    If I bend or break a straight decapping pin I usually get a finishing nail, file the tip down so it is smoothly rounded, cut it to the correct length, and just use that.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Grand Master

Swamprat1052

While looking through 6 th edition of Handloaders Digest I saw pictures of Bair dies and they look just like Pacific Dura-Chrome dies. I know Bair made presses for Pacific and it looks like they made dies also. The Pacific / Bair dies have a unique look , they don't look like any other and I would feel safe in stating both use straight pins.

I am going to give that finishing nail trick a try. What with the cost of reloading stuff getting outright ridiculous you need to save money whenever you can.
    Thanks C. F. Plinker

What surprises me is the cost of gas checks....that's INSANE . But I know where to order a check maker from and will solve that problem easy.

gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-12-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Le Loup Solitaire

Making decapping pins

Finishing nails work well. They are tougher if you heat them to red and dunk them in cold water. It hardens them and they seem to last longer. Don't let them be pointy on the business end or they will have a tendency to pierce through the primer and that is a PITA. LLS

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    The needle bearings out of an old U joint cup will work very nicely. Take an example of the pin you need to a driveline shop and match it up....since each U joint has 4 cups with about 20-30 needles, just one set will give you a supply for years, and they're usually free to boot.

I noticed that RCBS is now using a "headed" depriming pin.....?!? What's up with that??

Thanks again, I bought a set of Bair Dies on ebay, waiting to see what kind of condition they're in. I bought a new set of RCBS dies for 30-06 and they cut my cases verically, deep enough I won't use them. I know RCBS will fix or replace them but its the 2nd set I have had to send back to them. I have used their dies for years and the quality control lately seems to have slipped. I have decided to try some older stuff. We'll see how it works.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I will take a set of Pacific , Bair or Bonanza dies any day, thier quality is first rate. I think they were made at a time when making a good product didn't take precidence over making a buck and I like the fact they were made in the USA .