Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Supressed 20 gauge Handi-rifle barrel

Supressed 20 gauge Handi-rifle barrel

I kind of gather old barrels from anybody that doesn't want hem or want too much for them. In the junk pile, I found and old rusty, nasty 20 gauge 3" 88 Topper barrel. Checked it on my 500 Magnum Handi frame and it locked up well. I have been kicking around the idea of a suppressed shotgun for several weeks. I hit a good stopping place with my other suppressor work and went for it.

While I could just hang a big can on the end of a barrel, that would make a pretty long barrel, heavy and awkward with all that weight at the end. Also since pretty much all 20 gauge factory ammo is supersonic, the amount of suppression would be limited more than I wanted. So I decided to make a more or less integral suppressor. It is in fact integral and permanently attached to the barrel. It only adds about five inches to the barrel, but the OD of the can is 1.75 inches. It LOOKS like a big suppressor from just in front of the foreend to out there to the next county.

But it WORKS! It ain't slick like the big guys make cans, but I am pleased with it as a prototype. First two loads were Number 3 buckshot. -- wanted to see if it would hold together. Then I shot a bunch of field loads. To myself and two other observers, it sounded like a 16.5 inch .22 with something like CCI mini-mags. Subjectively, behind the gun, it seemed much quieter.

I started out by drilling umpteen holes on 0.5 inch centers along the top and the bottom of the barrel. To keep the rear (brass) bushing from moving back on the barrel, I brazed a ring larger than the ID of the bushing all the way around the barrel. Then I reamed out the inside of 7 fairly heavy 1.5 inch fender washers to just fit over the barrel. Each of these was welded two places on either side to the barrel.

The bushing (brass again) that fits over the muzzle end of the barrel gave me a bit of a quandary. Tried threading 3/4 x 10, but the barrel was to thin, as I quickly discovered. On a rifle barrel suppressor built the same way I can use schedule 8 set screws turned into indentations drilled in the barrel. Again, not much steel to work with. I finally decided to notch the bushing where it met the barrel and put w bead of weld in two places on either side, making sure the notches were filled so the bushing could not turn on the barrel.

The outer tube is a piece of seamless double-walled aluminum with total wall thickness of .125 inch. The end cap is a brass bushing that makes the far end of a small expansion chamber. There is room there for about three baffles between the muzzle and the end cap, but I don't think I need them.

After test firing, I decided I could drill a few more holes in the barrel. Hopefully that will make it quieter without adding weight. If I can bleed off enough gas to drop the velocity subsonic, it will definitely get quieter.

I am getting spoiled to suppressors, Besides reducing recoil -- with or without dropping velocity, it is nice to get the whump from a gun without all the bang.

(Type 7 FFL and SOT, we are legal and so are the suppressors)
    http://irongoatguns.com/NFA.html

If a man can't think out of the box, they might as well bury him in it.

Thats pretty darn cool.

Boolit Master
    In Britian its legal for horse breeders to own suppressed shotguns for use in elimination of vermin without disturbing the horses.
    These are usually .410 or 28 gauge, but there are .20 gauge versions as well.

The can extends from just ahead of the breech to the muzzle.
    Theres no end wipe.
    Apparently all gasses are vented into the can through holes near the breech long before the shot leaves the muzzle.

Heres some more recent and a bit more sophisticated versions.
    http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/...Hushpower.htm#
    Last edited by Multigunner; 04-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That would make a nice shotgun friend-o. (you did see 'No Country For Old Men' didn't you?)

Yeah, I saw the movie, but even back then I didn't believe "hollywood quiet." Running some of my suppressors wet -- a spurt of wd40 or whatever -- I can get real close with High Speed .22 shorts.
    Last edited by irongoat; 04-30-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Nice! I could see myself with one to use on coons and coyotes during calving season around here!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy

That's really awesome man! Plus No Country For Old Men is my favorite movie! Can you make one for a 12 gauge?

Don't see any reason why 12 wouldn't work. But it is gonna be bulky.

Boolit Grand Master

In Britian its legal for horse breeders to own suppressed shotguns for use in elimination of vermin without disturbing the horses.
    These are usually .410 or 28 gauge, but there are .20 gauge versions as well.
    Wait a minute!!!! I thought Red Jacket was the first folks to ever make a suppressed shotgun!
    Yeah right! What a bunch of posers! (I can't stand that show)
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Wait a minute!!!! I thought Red Jacket was the first folks to ever make a suppressed shotgun!
    Yeah right! What a bunch of posers! (I can't stand that show)
    Boy I'm with you all the way on that one! I still occasionally watch it but some of the haywire "fixes" they perform are sinful! I wouldn't trust them to diagnose, fix, touch or handle any gun of mine, they're a bunch of AK part's assemblers, any real gunsmith has to cringe whenever they refer to each other in that shop as a "gunsmith". Look up some of the internet reviews on their company or try abd figure out who actually has the FFL there (Vince!). Sorry, don't mean to thread hijack, just a pet peave! Love No Country for Old Men, not sure if i'd want a can like that on a 1100 but a little 20 gauge might come in handy about the time the garden was ready to harvest
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy

Yep I seen red jacket suppress a shotgun on their show. People call them parts replacers lol.

I really liked the .50 BMG rifle at 137 unsuppressed and 118 suppressed. I wonder what the units of measurement were? Liters, cups, meters, pounds? They sure as hell weren't dB's with any kind of standard metering practice. Anyone who has ever heard an unsuppressed .50 knows better. (Probably closer to 190 dB.)

Remember when they were using the pipe wrench to unscrew the mortar tube? The pipe wrench was on backwards. Since the "nut" had flat sides, that might work, but sure looked funny.

I think that the outtakes from the show would be hilarious!

Overall, I enjoy watching, it bothers me a little being in the business that too many people accept that "reality tv" show as being real and expect too much. The exploding targets are over the top.