Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Books On New Kindle

Boolit Master

First Books On New Kindle

I finally got a new Kindle. My wife would not let me Touch(Pun Intended) hers. I have been wanting to read "The Girl" books(The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo) for sometime. I love good mysteries. These take place in Sweden and I got the impression that the author(now deceased) had a somewhat low opinion of the justice system in Sweden. Can some of our Swedish members comment on this?

On a separate note, the references to firearms are a mixed bag, accuracy wise. There is a reference to a "Colt .45 Magnum" I have no idea what it is but he seems to be describing a revolver. Again, any idea's?

Also, references to ammunition were described as either full jacketed or "hunting ammunition". The hunting ammunition was described as causing horrific wounds. I have read few novels by non-US authors so I have no frame of reference whether these descriptions and attitudes are reflective of the population over there or not.

One interesting thing for me was the inclusion of the former CEO of ABB, the company I retired from. It was strange to see his name come up on the screen.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

I read them with the understanding that the author was not a shooter and that he did not expect the majority of his readers to be either. Good books, but not written for the firearms enthusiast.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I think the colt 45 mag. is spelled .454 casull

Boolit Master

You may be right. That is why I was appealing to our Swedish members. No doubt they are asleep right now. IIRC, Sweden is 7 hours ahead of us. At work, if someone had to call there, they had to do it before 10 AM at the latest.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I gave my late wife's kindle to my Girlfriend... I never used it....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Don't sweat the details about guns and calibers - he does better than many other authors; just enjoy the books - and hit Netflix up for the CD. Also, try the Swedish police procedurals by Henning Mankell, a tad better on firearms and less outrageously bloody.

Someone earlier mentioned getting a Kindle e-reader; I got mine a year and a half back as an 80th birthday gift, and - with the bookshelves now solid full, all the way to the 10-foot ceiling - that's THE way to go. Easier on the wrists, too; them big book get HEAVY!

"floodgate"
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

In Remembrance
    Agree.

Wasn't sure how I would like an e-reader, and now I wonder what took me so long to get one! I can keep a LOT of books on that thing, plus everything on it also stays on my permanent account at Amazon, PLUS I can take the e-books and download them onto my home computer and save them to CDs for additional backup if needed.

I read Steve Jobs biography last month and bought it in hardback. Felt weird holding a book and sticking one of my business cards in as a bookmark.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've got around 2700 books on mine, all free. Fortunately, there are a lot of subjects that interest me.
    Something you may find useful.
    Some books download in PDF format. This is very hard to read on a Kindle, as a rule.
    There is a program called Calibre, that you can download for free. You can process the PDF's through this, and make it readable on a Kindle, although I find the words are sometimes garbled.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

This thread makes me wonder if my mom is using her Kindle Fire, if nothing else to play solitaire.

I have the kindle app on my iPad. I had it on the iPod before this. I don't real a whole lot, life's just too busy. I'm really enjoying -Aesop's fables all over again. I can think of some examples almost every time of people I encounter out on patrol that could benefit from those little gems of common sense. And they're all nice and short so I can knock a couple out when I have a minute.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Got a Kindle Fire for SWMBO for Christmas and she is permanently attached to it. Pretty cool device.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Got the Fire Kindle for my wife on our anniversary. My Kindle is just a few books away from 200 books now. I keep finding those serial books where you read one and then have to read four or five more. And I am waiting for more of those books to be written. Darn near as addictive as shooting...., but nowhere near as expensive.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

not to hijack a thread, but you can also download a kindle app for your smart phone. I have it on mine and have bought several books from Amazon. The app is free!!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Got all of H. Beam Piper's novels and stories from Astounding and Amazing for under $5.00- that's 32 pieces of good writing. I have On War - Von Clauswitz, and the six volumes of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - also almost free. There are some amazing deals on Amazon.com for the Kindle.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Mobipocket Creator is another free program that can convert file formats to the Kindle. It seems to do a good job on pdf. I created a word document with a bunch of my reloading recipes and setup info. I converted the file for the Kindle. I find that handy.
    ph4570

Boolit Bub
    As an aside back to the original question - I lived in Sweden back in the late 70s. Even back then guns and hunting were seen as something only a few had interest in. the funny thing is at the time they had a mandatory military service (and probalby still do) where they learn to use rifles and handguns. They seemed to be especially paranoid about handguns - they had to be stored at a range and could not leave the area. If the trend there is like the rest of Europe, then their restrictions on guns and hunting have probably become even stricter over time. Total population of the whole country was around 6 million at the time, and a single murder was national news. Different place with different values than we have.

Moderator Emeritus

I picked up the Collected works of Mar Twain for under $5 on Kindle. A ton of biographies are free also, as is a lot of old history.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I'll probably get a Kindle mostly for reference books. My wife and I are both voracious readers but we prefer to hold a book as oppossed to e-readers. I hate trying to read articles or books on a computer. I liked the Dragon books and I'm used to writers who know nothing about shooting. Haven't seen the movies yet as you can't rent a video here anymore and I don't do netflix. Might try the Redbox thing to see it and a couple others I missed at the theaters.

Boolit Master
    I just bought and read "Glock- Americas gun"....fantastic read. I had no idea about the whole Glock story.

Ans another super read is "American Rifle....A Biography"
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

I asked for a Kindle for my birthday and Christmas . . . . . . . . . . . . . .?
    Might have to buy one with my own money.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Until I got my wife a Kindle, I wasn't too enthralled by the idea of e-readers. I like actual books too. I can't read books or lengthy articles on the computer monitor either. I've worn out 2 printers printing out material from the computer.

Now that I've got my own Kindle, I am converted. I still prefer paper reference books, including firearms books of all kinds. But for novels and other books that I will probably read only one time, the e-reader is the way to go.
    John
    W.TN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast