Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: help with wc814 and wc818

Boolit Bub

help with wc814 and wc818

can anyone tell me where these 2 powders fall in the burn rate chart? i know not too use burn rate charts religiously but i need a starting point. i know they are loaded in 223 and 308 blanks. but i can get some of these 2 powders if i can figure out there speed and pressure.thanks

Boolit Buddy
    You may already know this, but for safety's sake: blank powders are not suitable for loads with projectiles.

Moderator Emeritus

Both of those powders are intended for use in blanks and are too fast to be loaded with a projectile. Their speed makes anything available for reloading look extremely slow. They are to bullseye what bullseye is to H870.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy

Here was what I was able to find as far as burn rates. Just like others have stated it is to fast for any practical loading applications.

http://www.gd-ots.com/2011%20Brochur...ropellants.pdf

Boolit Bub
    i know they are intended for blanks but that doesnt mean they are faster than bullseye. i am looking for some actual data on these 2 powders. i am not jumping into this blindly , but i am looking for facts. i have used powder from s african blanks in light 12ga loads before .it loaded the same as clays. does anyone have a chart showing all the military powders in relation to comercial powders in burn rate? thanks for your help

Boolit Master

I think folks have given you a chart with relative burn rate.

Good luck with those experiments.

Looks like they are much slower that some have said in the past and advertised.

They may just be usable.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 05-08-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

Well I did some more checking and Jeff Bartletts and Pats Reloading both sold a powder dubbed WC814 that was a 45acp Hardball pull down powder. The information that they put out with it was to load with W-231 data. I wasn't able to find anything on WC818. Maybe you can call Jeff or Pats and get more data or info. If you are and have success please share the outcome.

Hope this helps!
    Mario
    dagunnut

Boolit Bub
    thanks, i will do that. the link to the burn rate chart only gives burn rate in relation to other military powders not where they fall in comparison to comercial powders, but thanks for the info.

Boolit Bub
    update, i loaded a couple 45acp 230gr lead with 4grs of 814 and 818 powder and shot it over a chrony this morn. results 4 grs 814 =600fps, 4grs 818 = 360fps. so it looks like the wc814 is going too fall in the w231 range. the 818 is even slower. more testing to follow.

Boolit Buddy

ddhotbot

Thanks for posting your testing results good info. to have available.

Mario
    dagunnut

Boolit Master
    Might you think that WC818 might be a tad faster than WC820 which is in the realm of AA#9 or H110?

Boolit Bub
    it is just a little faster than wc 820, i am experimenting with it in the 410.

Boolit Bub
    update wc814 is so close to the old win 473aa powder in pistol and shotgun loads its scary. wc818 seems to fall into the hs 7 or blue dot range. both powders are very usable in pistols and shotgun loads. please work up your own loads i am just telling you what i got.